Standalone ECU 1UZFE 36-1 Trigger Wheel and Megasquirt

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
hey lex I need one for my project. I hope to get this 914 running this summer. Has anyone found out if the stock vr sensor can handle the added resolution with megasquirt? PM me about the wheel. thanks
Paul

I'm glad to hear that you will have them soon. I was hopping not to have to weld two beads between every tooth on my 12 tooth wheel and then grind them to shape.

I don't jack about it but I know few members are using COP with it. So I would assume the old ignition system would be trashed. I just picked up three wheels and they are all spoken for. If there more member need them, please let me know.

Attachments

• 1uzassembly20.jpg
    1uzassembly20.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 1uzassembly21.jpg
    1uzassembly21.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 1uzassembly22.jpg
    1uzassembly22.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 31
I am Jason. Here is another interesting discovery I made. The VR sensor from a late 90's Ford Windstar fits in the same place as the Stock 1UZ's VR sensor.

If the Ford's EDIS VR Sensor recognizes the new wheel Lex has made, It should make the 1UZ a dream to make run. DSC00660.jpg
DSC00658.jpg

Well, the Lexus's VR sensor has a little higher resistance than the Ford VR Sensor from what I am understanding. It might work just fine though? I only was curious to see if the Ford V6 one would fit or not when I discovered it would fit. I know for a fact EDIS works with Ford VR Sensors. Not sure it will with the Toyota one?? I will soon find out though.

Jason

good stuff...nice to see someone working on MS. It is one of the most affordable options for EM. I assume you are going to a manual tranny?

Nice Jason. Any fabrication details of the trigger wheel and how you fit it on the crankshaft? Did you simply weld it to the timing gear?

Now that we've managed a 36-1 wheel, I'd like to try for a 60-2 (Bosch style) for even better resolution with ECU's like MoTeC, etc.

BTW, since you're further along with yours than me, you could consider using an MRE sensor instead of a VR. The MRE's will produce the same output as a Hall, but they don't require magnets in the trigger wheel, just a standard ferrous trigger wheel is fine. Toyota have used these in their ABS systems for years, and are now starting to use them for cam triggers and in other areas. They (supposedly) produce a very nice, clean square wave like a Hall, and have a wider range than either the VR or the Hall pickups. I intend to give them a try to see if the reality matches the hype.

Well, most of the credit belongs to Lextreme. If he had not had these wheels created I would have lost interest or not be as far along as I am.

In my research for what others had done to run their 1UZ on MS I discovered he was in the process of having a 36-1 wheel developed.

Now with his design he has made it practically idiot proof. It is a two piece wheel with the first piece specifically notched for the crank and the second piece had 36 evenly spaced teeth. Both pieces have 4 alignment hole you can tap and thread or use alignment dowels and do what I did, tack(sp) them together because no matter where you aligned the 4 holes it always comes out the same. After this you choose the tooth 60 degrees before the sensor and file it off (which I have not done yet).

Now my next step is to determine whether or not EDIS recognizes this wheel. That actually will be rather simple. I have (2) 1UZ's and the other one I have is complete. So I will put this wheel and Ford VR Sensor on it, Wire up two Coil Packs, One EDIS 8, and an IMPCO 425 LPG Carb w/Tank to see if it fires. In theory it should but I am not 100% sure.

As for using a MRE sensor or any other method, that could certainly happen in time. I am not by any means an expert nor the most knowledged person about this. I am just a guy learning and sharing my experiences. I have a friend named Tim that actually knows about MS and I learn from him.

My whole purpose in this is to make the engine run on an already proven system so it can be done for little money and then experiment with other ways once the EDIS proves to either work or not work.

This will not happen over night but now that I have the wheel it should happen soon.

Thanks, Jason

Jason,

Thanks for the credit, but the real credit goes to Cribbj. He is the one who initiate the whole thing and I just execute the process that is all. John is the man. Not side track topic. Nice work and keep us updated. I really love to run MS if possible.

Jason, I was just curious because from your photos it didn't look like you'd used the 2nd piece (the one with the notch in it for the keyway).

David, thanks, but it certainly needed both of us to make it happen. I had the idea, but no access to a fabricator, then we both worked it out together how to make it and get the necessary offset, etc.

Now we need to make a 60-2 tooth wheel. If Electromotive can make a 2 3/8" 60-2 wheel, we ought to be able to do a 100mm 60-2 tooth wheel.

got my trigger wheel in the post yesterday so a big thanks goes out to david and everyone else that has been involved with creating this fair play fellas a real nice piece of kit will keep you updated as to my progress with the ms and my mk1 mr2 thanks again podge:bigok: