1UZ Test Bench Startup

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

MaxPower

Iam nearly ready to fire up the 1UZ but it isnt in the car yet, sitting on a engine stand i made that allows clearence for flywheel, harmonic balancer etc etc so it could be started. Iam running a delco so it wasnt a straight wire up hence the stand. Now my question is there is no cooling system attached to the engine so would it be ok to start it without water?? Just to get it to run, idle for say 10-20 secs and switch off.

BTW Peewee i *MAY* have the answer to ur running rich problem. A little testing tonight produced exactly the same problems u have. So dont go giving up on the Delco just yet.....There will be some more testing over the weekend to be sure.

get a bit of radiator hose run the inlet to the outlet fill it through the 17mm bung on top of the thermo stat and run it for 5 minuites maybe more.

if you realy want to test it i guess it wouldn't be that hard to rig up the radiator if it is out of the car

Unlike most cars, where you can leave the drive belt off to stop the water pump turning, which saves the seals overheating the 1UZ has the water pump driven by the cam belt.

I would definitely not start the car without at least the top and bottom hoses joined and filled with wter.

Water pumps are too expensive to ruin jus by trying to save work.

They are also a pain in the rear to change.