1UZ-FE Transplant into 91 Hilux Surf

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
There was just one more thing I needed to do before making a start on the headers...
I needed to mount the slave cylinder for the clutch.

There was nothing to bolt the slave cylinder to on the bellhousing so I made up a mounting bracket and bolted it to the bellhousing using 2 of the bolts that fix the engine to the gearbox, and tapping a third bolt through the bellhousing.

39.jpg

Clutchcylbrkt3.jpg

And now for the headers....

I was thinking of using the factory headers but found that it wouldn't be a straight bolt-in job.
The primaries on the passengers side will fit, but on the drivers side, they would need to be shortened & re-welded to the header flange so that it would fit between the engine & steering rod.

I didn't really like the look of the factory headers, and I thought if I modified them to fit, I probably wouldn't be happy with them.

It wouldn't take long to modify them and make them work, but it would take a huge amount of time to make up my own headers!

Modify factory headers and get the Surf running sooner.
Or brand new equal length 4 - 1 pollished silver HPC coated headers.

Hmmmmmm............

I though bugger it....
If I had to modify the factory headers to make them fit, I may as well start from scratch and make a complete set of new headers.

I made a paper template for the header flange and drew it up on CAD, printed it, then cut it out and fitted it to make sure it would fit and everything lined up.
The CAD file was sent to the laser cutters to have them cut out of 10mm steel plate.

I bought 14/41mm dia mandrel U-bends, 3m of 16G/41mm dia exhaust tubeing & 2/4 into 1 collectors.

I was in business!!!

Once the flanges were cut, I picked them up and rushed home to see how they would fit.
They fitted perfectly.

I bolted them to the heads and started cutting the bends into sections and tacking them in place with my mig welder. (But not to the header flange).

This wasn't as easy as it sounds!

I had to guess the right shape so that they would all be the same length when they reached the collector, and also have enough clearance around the steering, engine mounts, suspension, clutch slave cylinder, floor and each of the other primaries.

This took several attempts of recutting & retacking the primaries and seemed to go on forever but I finally got it sorted out and ended up with a maximum of about 10mm difference in length between the primaries where they met at the collector.

Once I had all of the primaries tacked (I haven't tacked them to the header flange yet), I removed them and gave them to a friend who tig welded them.

Here's a pic of the right hand side headers with the primaries tacked and ready to be tig welded.
They're just sitting in the header flange.

43.jpg

42.jpg

Attachments

• 180sx 1uz-1a.jpg
    180sx 1uz-1a.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 180sx 1uz-2a.jpg
    180sx 1uz-2a.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 10
Muzza_NZ said:
Hi Mudman,
those headers look really good, I must congratulate you on your rapid progress on your conversion!

Muzz
Hi Muzz

Thanks for the coment.
I just hope these headers will be worth the effort.

The progress hasn't been as quick as it seems.....
I've just been really slack at posting additions to this thread.

Has anyone had any problems with the hydraulic pump that drives the fan???

I'll be using 2 electric fans and won't be running the hydraulic pump. Besides, there's not enough room between the engine & the radiator to run the hoses.

I tried to find a pulley without the pump from an earlier engine but didn't have any luck finding one so I ended up modifying my original one.
After removing the pump and dismantling it, I found that the shaft ran on brass bushes rather than roller bearings. Brass bushes would be fine when they're submerged in oil, but they're hopeless dry.
I tried to find some roller bearings to fit but couldn't find any. I found something close, but this meant I would have to have the shaft & housing machined to make them work.

I thought it may be ok to remove the pump & fill the housing up with hydraulic fluid. The only problem is the hydraulic fluid may heat up & expand which would pop the seals and then seize the shaft to the housing.

After cutting the hoses off and welding up the holes, I cut the solenoid off and tapped a 1/8 NPT thread into the nut & screwed a 90 deg. brass elbow with an extension with a breather from a diff into it so that the extension was vertical and raised about 30mm above the highest point of the housing. I then fitted it to the engine and filled it with hydraulic fluid.
(It's a bit hard to explain without a photo).

I hope it will be ok!

Here's a couple of pics with the engine in its final position in the Surf.
You may be able to make out the breather on the ex hydraulic pump on one of these.

NewEngineIn.jpg

NewEngineIn1.jpg

As soon as I got the primaries back (from being tig welded), I cleaned up the welds, bolted the header flanges on, then started tacking them in place.

Once tacked in place, I unbolted them from the engine and found there wasn't enough clearance to get them out.
I ended up unbolting the body and partially lifting it off the chassis and also removing the suspension just to get the headers out.

Once out, I made a bracket out of 10mm thick angle iron to bolt them to which hopefully will reduce the header flange from warping because of the heat from the welder.
I fully welded them on both sides and ground back the welds in the inside to get a smooth finish.

I then welded on the collectors & flanges along with threaded inserts I made for the oxygen sensors and re-fitted them just to be sure they didn't move from welding them up. (There was very little room for error).
They seemed to have stayed in the same place from when they were tacked.
If they had moved even 5mm, I would have had to cut them off & re-weld them on again.
Luckily I didn't have to do this.

Here's another couple of pics of the engine mounts again now that they can be seen with the body partially lifted off.

EngMnt.jpg

EngMnt3.jpg

Damn those headers are SEXY!! Thanks in advance for posting the header flanges. I'm hosting some Motor Mount drawings elsewhere here and would be happy to host the flanges to save your bandwidth if you are interested. Let me know.

Wow you've got to be happy with how those headers came out! it will be a shame to hide them all the way down in the engine bay...

A lot of hilux conversions have just deleted the idler above the crank - I've done nearly 15,000km on mine since doing that and never once heard it slip or squeal.

Muzz

I posted a whole heap of stuff about the radiator but it seemed to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

I guess I'll have to try and remember what I posted and post it again.

cebby said:
Damn those headers are SEXY!! Thanks in advance for posting the header flanges. I'm hosting some Motor Mount drawings elsewhere here and would be happy to host the flanges to save your bandwidth if you are interested. Let me know.
Hi Cebby,

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you about the header flanges; I've been using all the spare time I have trying to get wiring finished so I can get the surf certified.

Anyway.... That would be great if you could host the flanges. Im sure the CAD file will save anyone who wants to use it a lot of time and frustration.

The only problem is....
How do I get the file over to you???

(You'll have to excuse my dumbness.... I'm not much of a computer geek)

I was really tight getting the headers in, even with the body lifted up and out of the way.
I put rags around the chassis and managed to get them in managed without scratching them.

Here they are bolted up in there final position with the body bolted back onto the chassis.

Headersfitted.jpg

Headersfitted3.jpg

Hopefully there's enough clearance around everything.

The least amount of clearance is only about 8mm which is between the diff mount on the right hand side of the chassis and the lowest part of the headers. When the engine is under load, it will pull on the left hand mount and increase this clearance. I'll keep an eye on it though, and if I have to, I'll grind a piece out of the diff mount.

There's plenty of clearance from the floor and around the suspension and steering.

Headersfitted4.jpg

Engine-steeringrodclearance.jpg