1UZ-FE Transplant into 91 Hilux Surf

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Can you take a few shots from underneath the motor showing the spacing of the motormounts and the headers? I'm also curious to see how low they hang back by the bellhousing and further back... Thanks in advance!

This is looking from the front right hand side where the least amount of clearance between the primaries & diff mount is. It has about 8mm clearance here.

Headerclearance.jpg

Here's some more pics of the clearance around the bellhousing & transmission looking from underneath.

Headerclearance1.jpg

Headerclearance4.jpg

Headerclearance2.jpg

Headerclearance3.jpg

Here's another shot of the 8mm clearance between the headers and the diff mount on the left side but this time, looking from the back toward the front.

Headerclearance6.jpg

And here's a close-up of the clearance around the suspension & steering rod on the right hand side.

The left hand side is almost identical.

Headerclearance5.jpg

Now that the headers are finally finished and bolted in place, it was time to finish the rest of the exhaust.
It's always a gamble figuring out what configuration & mufflers to use to get the right sound if you haven't done it before. I didn't want it too noisy where it would attract cops, or it's uncomfortable to drive on a long trip; but I didn't want it too quiet either.

Afterall.... It's a V8, and V8's need to be heard!!!

I decided on a twin 2.25" pipes into a pair of Lukey Turbo reverse flow mufflers; then merging into a single 3" over the diff and out behind the rear wheel.

I thought if I went any bigger than 2.25" pipes, the exhaust gasses would loose too much velocity and wouldn't flow through the collectors at the end of the headers quick enough to achieve the scavenging effect.

The mufflers weren't the cheapest, but they have a good reputation. They also fitted perfectly under the raised section in the floor below the rear seat.

Making up the exhaust system from the headers back was much easier than making the headers, but there were still some challenging areas. Especially between the chassis and around the transfer case.

P1010010.jpg

P1010009.jpg

Here's some more pics showing the exhaust bolted in place.
This is the left side looking toward the back where the exhaust bolts up to the headers.

Newexhaust7.jpg

This is the right hand side over the front drive shaft & transfer case where the exhaust bolts up to the headers.
Newexhaust6.jpg

This is the right hand side exhaust comming through & around the back of the transfer case.
Newexhaust5.jpg

And under the rear driveshaft.
Newexhaust.jpg

And some more pics....

Newexhaust1.jpg

Im pretty sure you can figure out where this is!!!
Newexhaust2.jpg

Newexhaust3.jpg

I was trying to keep the exhaust up as high as possible and also have enough clearance around the spare tyre.
The surface rust on the diff is from sitting in long grass for a couple of years.
Newexhaust4.jpg

Mudman you do great looking work. I was just wondering were you got you materials to do this, mainley the flanges, unless you made them yourself. Again, great work man.

sparky195 said:
Mudman you do great looking work. I was just wondering were you got you materials to do this, mainley the flanges, unless you made them yourself. Again, great work man.
Thanks for the complement!

I bought the manderal exhaust bends from a company called Woolf Mufflers who supply exhaust components.
They also had exhaust flanges but they were only 6mm thick with 2 bolt connections and I wanted 10mm thick with 3 bolt connections.

Johnno at Performance Metalworks does hundreds of exhausts and already had the flanges I wanted to use so I ended up getting some s/steel flanges from him.

I couldn't find any header flanges anywhere so I designed my own. and had them water-cut from 10mm steel.

If you need drawings of these, cebby has kindly posted them in the fabrication section of this forum.
Here's the link.

http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5476

Mudman you are skilled that is an absolutly awesome install. Exctractors like that give a stiff every time. You shouldnt have trouble passing inspection with that baby. WELL DONE

Im curious as to why your primaries are so long? Why not have the collectors closer to the engine? I dont know too much about headers etc... Im from the world of turbo rotaries :p

Mattmannz said:
Awesome work Mudman.

Any update? Is the truck certed and running now?

Cheers
Matt.
It's fully legal and is an absolute pleasure to drive.

Still have a few minor problems to fix though.
It doesn't idle too well and seems to be underpowered.
Im getting codes 82, 83 & 84 from the ECU and have no idea what they mean.

I have a mate with the same ECU (from an 89 Crown) so I'll try to borrow it off him and plug it into my loom to see if I get the same readings.

Sorry it's taken so long to reply...
My computer died and I haven't replaced it yet.
I'll post some updates as soon as I get another one

F0RSAKEN said:
Im curious as to why your primaries are so long? Why not have the collectors closer to the engine? I dont know too much about headers etc... Im from the world of turbo rotaries :p
They're 39" long (equal length).
I read in a performance book for a small block chev that the ideal length for primaries should be between 38 - 42" long for a street car.

Usually the rule is... The longer the primaries, the more torque you get (within reason) and power comes on lower down in the rev range.

Great to see that it runs. What part of Auckland are you in?. I'm driving my van up to the enduro at Woodhill on the weekend. Are you around? Cheers Kelvin

Attachments

• xnp013008.jpg
    xnp013008.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 7
  • osoala.jpg
    osoala.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 10
  • xnp6190097.jpg
    xnp6190097.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 3
Dean have you got the codes sorted yet? My ecu is just sitting in the garage, if you need it give me a call over the weekend.
We're taking Jono's supercharged 1uz to the dyno tomorrow (friday)to get tuned I'll let you know how it goes!

LO LYF said:
Dean have you got the codes sorted yet? My ecu is just sitting in the garage, if you need it give me a call over the weekend.
We're taking Jono's supercharged 1uz to the dyno tomorrow (friday)to get tuned I'll let you know how it goes!
Na,
I went up to Jono's on Wednesday after work to get some new sparkplugs. I don't think it will make the ECU codes go away but it may help it run a bit better though. I think the plugs that are in it now a probably the original plugs and are way overdue for a change.
While I was there, he started it up so I could have a listen.

Man.... It sounds very intimidating!!!

I was going to ask you if I could borrow it sometime.
Im working on Steves house this weekend so I'll come over & see you sometime during the week.