1gz for 79 series landcruiser truck

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

mark watson

ok , so started a while back and now it starts so i thought id post up , gonna be sweet

s6301288.jpeg

s6301247.jpeg

s6301161.jpeg

s6300927.jpeg

s6300918.jpeg

s6301248.jpeg

s6301251.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice, its cool to see some one else felt up to tackling the 1GZ. There are so few people playing with this engine and I feal that the 1GZ has huge potential. That looks like a vey cleen swap. What transmission did you use and what is your setup for the manual conversion? I am currently swapping a 1GZ into a 1989 supra and will be useing the R154. Since it looks like you are still useing the stock drive by wire throttle bodys does that mean you are useing the factory ECU? I will be running a stand alone engine management and am looking for any tips on getting it running. I am also looking for input on what custom parts people may be intersted in. I have to convert my 1GZ to drysump to clear the supras subframe. I will also be going twin turbo after I get it running NA and work the bugs out. So I will be makeing turbo manifolds, new high flow fuel rails, drysump conversion parts, engine mounts and I might make adapters to run a external water pump and relocate the thermostat. I would have no problem making extras if any one wanted anything. Have you found any weakness in the engine? I am working on figureing out a new forged rod and piston setup and plan to have cosmetic make me a set of MLS head gaskets but if there is anything else that you found that needs upgradeing I would love to know.

hi , i used the original 4500efi transmission that came in the cruiser , made the adaptor and flywheel in house with the 275mm cruiser clutch , custom built a sump after removing the steel bowl and the lower ally piece , the throttles i converted to cable type , the ecus are aftermarket that are locally built - www.spitronics.co.za - started up first time but the software was custom written by the owner , in dollars it cant cost more than 900 , standard headers , 2 by 63mm into 1 - 76mm pipe with 2 silencers , existing radiator as its huge already with 16inch fan , custom airboxes with golf 3 gti air filter elements into a twin snorkel setup that we custom built for the truck.
i think there is enough oomph in the motor to leave stock except for tuning with the ecus ( so will get more than the stock ecus ) to leave the motor unmolested , after all it is a truck ( as you guys call them , we call them bakkies )
will take some more pics with the small bits

Thought this was a very interesting build!

1GZ is going into my JZX100 to compete in Formula Drift this year here in North America.

Did really well last year with the 1JZ, but currently trying to figure out how to wire up this silly V12 either on factory computers, or rip everything out and run aftermarket Megasquirt or otherwise.

quick setup on the dyno , as want to go hunting next week , so first run was 168kw and 340nm just set the fuelling and the timing a bit left the vvt for now on standard settings , will play when i got more dyno time but last run was 176kw and 370nm at 5500 rpm , rev limit set to 6000

At Reef altitude (where Mark operates ;)) the power loss compared to coastal figures, in other words as always quoted, is about 17%, which means the 176kW would be ± 210kW at the coast. Then transmission losses have to be factored in - which I do not know the magnitude of - but my guess is we are looking at round about 270kW that Mark's engine produces. In a cruiser truck :eek:
Way to go, Mark ol' buddy :)