87 4Runner 1UZ swap, get comfy

gloverman

Ive played with trying to get those rear bearings before. I've had to replace a lot as guys seem to miss that the oil feed for the rear bearing from a 4 runner / surf trans is through the centre of the shaft and the lexus auto it's along the splines so the rear bearing doesn't get a clean supply of oil. Some guys are but lucky seeing that I do lots of 1uz stuff I get to see all the failures. Toyota did some funny sizes on the bearings so I always use genuine these days and we pay far more than 45usd for the same bearing over here.

Progress is looking good

Cheers

numbchux

Good to know, might just go that route, then.

I was noticing that it looks like that bearing gets oiled from the shaft (I bought this transfer case loose, never had an A340F to compare). There's a little hole in the output shaft from the lexus, but I think it got covered up by the speed sensor tone wheel. I need to run the engine on the stand again, so I've been tempted to try it with the adapter off, and see if I get fluid out there, and take some measurements to see if it meets the "receiver" in the adapter. Although it sounds like you maybe already have done that.

Or is there another fix? Seal it in and pack it like a wheel bearing?

gloverman

I started getting these setups in that had failed rear bearings or lots with split sleeves. Taking that most stock Toyota engines had around 105kw and the uz is double that its not surprising that some sleeves split. Then I looked into oil flow too. Ive had a trans on my bench atm to doma few videos on but have more pressing work just at the moment

numbchux

I started taking pictures to try to describe what I was discovering (I'm sure not news to you, Kelvin, but anyone else that may be considering this swap), and decided to just take a video. I'll edit that a bit this week and posted.

But I did decide to drill a 1/8" hole in the end of the output shaft. I used the Jeep Slip-Yoke-Eliminator trick, of running the engine in gear to spin the output shaft to drill a straight hole in it. Sure enough, only needed to drill 1/2" deep or so, and I broke through into a fluid passage.

2019-05-28_08-17-20 by Numbchux, on Flickr

numbchux

Did some testing on a thermal exhaust coating to try on this setup.

Next is to edit some video I took about lubricating that case adapter bearing.