1979 340i

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
yeah, it took a while. i did most of the prep myself, except for the last of the polishing of the engine parts. i spent alot of time on the plenum, welding stuff and filing off bits.
heres one of the filter mounted straight to the modified throttle body, and the gearbox adaption (adaptor plate, modified mr2 turbo flywheel, 5 puck solid centre heavy duty clutch, hydraulic clutch release bearing, braided stainless hoses....) M5 wheels in the background. (hiding 13" disks and willwood billet callipers).

Awsome work.

Are you in Lower Hutt??

I think I saw your car at HOWAT engineering getting the diff done.

I would be keen to catch up/swap notes etc... if you are local.

hello
yes, sadly im from the hutt, lol, and brian howat did all the fabrication for me. hes a great guy and im pleased with the work he did. i will be gettin the motor back in and hope to get it off to speedtech at the end of the week for some more work.
i heard about you from ian price, who i sold my old motor to, and am keen to see your car. give me a call/text on 0211493178. or any other wellingtonians with 1uz projects for that matter.
nick

the flywheel has been re drilled to suit the 1uz, and the ring gear had to be modified for the starter motor lead in (since the 1uz has the starter on the motor side, rather than on a 3sgte which has the starter on the gearbox side). from memory the flyhweel was about a hundred dollars (new zealand dollars) and the modifying was roughly another hundred. i may upgrade to a fully custom billet flywheel in the future, but this is fine for my current needs. most automotive engineers should be able to do this for you.

exhaust photos

here's my new exhaust, not finished, but getting there.
the standard manifolds were modified to fit around the steering column and down under the car, the rest is twin 2.5" mild steel with all mandrel bends, and two resonators. one 3" muffler will be used and will exit under the left sill infront of the rear wheel. the muffler will sit under the rear seat, where the original fuel tank was. the sill has been modified to give adequate ground clearance.

progress....

the engine is back in, Link ECU has been wired, and the exhaust is finished (except for adding a heat shield around the tip, and heat wrapping the manifolds).

super nice man, I've been playing around in my SC400 I bought, its driveable! I love doing burn outs and power braking! its great! roasting the tires off! its great! I bet the Bimmer is ripping some new asses out there! fast as heck I bet!

heh, i wish, it still needs some stuff like new fuel lines and then tuning and certification before i can get drifting, so no fun for me yet. funds are looking quite sad at the moment aswell, so it might be a few months....

340i said:
heh, i wish, it still needs some stuff like new fuel lines and then tuning and certification before i can get drifting, so no fun for me yet. funds are looking quite sad at the moment aswell, so it might be a few months....
That sounds just like me!!!

This time I was only meant to have it off the road for a month or so, Yeah right.
4 months later and a couple to go :(

Dam cars!!

I'll give you a bell next week nick for a bit of a perv.

I noticed your radiator hoses appear to be reversed.

You appear to have the bottom hose running to the top of your radiator but I can't see where your top hose goes.

If you post another photo plenty of us can tell if you can expect problems.

i think the hoses are the right way round. heres my car and lex's for comparison. the radiator has the top hose on the opposite side, which is the only difference, i think.

whats your radiator out of? can any one surgest a couple of radiators that will keep a std 1uz cool with an electric fan?

My Range Rover one works well and has the pipes in the right place. It's very heavy though.

Try the Soarer or Crown radiator for size, but be aware of the tank cracking problem they both have.

the radiator im using is out of a nissan skyline. i think it will work, as they're much heavier cars than mine. i dont intend on having a bonnet, so dont invisage overheating being a problem. i got the radiator for free, so if it isnt up to the task, will be replaced by an aftermarket alloy race item. i have a 14" electric fan mounted to the front of it aswell, to help it keep cool.
i amagine this combo may not work if i was in aussie though, as its a bit hotter over there. id probably need the bigger radiator and two thermo fans.

Could you give me some more info (inc cost) on that hydraulic bearing.

I have fitted a Tilton titanium one in the past but it was very expensive!
It sat on a CNC machined billet of alloy (you could just cut and drill and file a plate) mounted to the front bearing support of the gearbox.