1979 bmw 340i engine bay photos

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

340i

i went a bit overboard with my engine bay and it ended up like this. theres a few things to finish and put in, but most of its there. sorry for the poor photos, they really dont do it justice. please dont ask how long or how much iv spent on it because i have lost count and its too depressing to think about. it should be fired up for the first time next week if all goes well, and maybe certed and road legal by january/february, hopefully...

heres a shot of the fuel system. i learnt to tig weld and made the tank and surge tank myself. it is a gravity feed surge tank with outlet under the car to a bosche external fuel pump. i dont think il fit many groceries in there.

Damn, even in Blurrovision it still looks very very shiny - real nice

If cost was the most important factor in conversions, we'd never do them aye....

just use it heaps and enjoy it - that's what I reckon anyway...

lex, i had a thread in the project worklogs/diary section but it has disappeared. is it possible to have this thread moved to that section? cheers.

better photos

i changed the settings on the camera and wiped the lens, so i think these ones are a bit better. also included is a shot of my exhaust tip. hopefully these inspire others as i have been inspired by those before me on this forum.
in the first one you can see how iv set up the alternator, for those who dont want to run aircon or powersteering. the radiator is out in these and i still have to finish the breather bottle setup, and paint the car, do an interior,.....

sorry the headers are the stockers with the flanges cut off and modified to fit past the steering column and firewall, then heat wrapped. pretty average really, but they do the job ok for now.

i finally got it fired up today. all was going well untill halfway through the dyno tune when the clutch slave cylinder leaked (i think) and it had to be abandoned, towed home, and the gearbox will be coming off again to get to the hydraulic clutch release bearing (mounted inside the bellhousing). hopefully its nothing major, so i can get it back together to finish the tune.

the peak power reached was 180.9kw at the wheels at 5189rpm, and 1548.2Nm torque at 4137rpm. (sorry americans i dont know what that is in ft/lb).
the sound was fantastic, at idle you can barely hear it, then it raises to a scary roar up top unlike any car i have heard before. although, after three years of building it could've sounded like a rota and i would have thought it was great. lol.

next on the list is finishing the interior, some custom lights front and back, and maybe a bit more detailing here and there.

oh, a warning for people doing a side exhaust like mine. when dynotuning with dynapack dynos (the hub bolt on type, not rolling road), the heat from the exhaust will want to go where the dyno unit is, and therefore bounce back and burn your paint (i wasnt too worried though). see pic.

lastly, i had to buy a tacho the other day coz i have no dash, and ended up getting a 'monster tach' (5" with shift light, seven colour illumination options, and a flamed face. woohoo), so the bimma is regrettably 'boyracerized' now. now for a momo and a dvd player....lol.

haha good to hear about the car starting man, i know you were hanging out for that to happen. Nice. Cant wait to have it up here. oh, and ring paul, like, today if poss. lol.

Hey dude
i cant WaIT to see it all done!
i love the 8 ball too. classy :p

its pretty sweet to see all that chrome in one place and put together. fuel tank came out nice.
shot.

its pretty sweet to see all that chrome in one place and put together. fuel tank came out nice.
shot.
lol.i take back the part about the fuel tank. i heard its leaky :p like yo momma

p.s merry xmas dude from hemi and matt at waihi beach

Very nice!

Reminds me of the first engine rebuild I did, back in 1984 on a 1974 BMW Bavaria with the I6 and dual carbs...

ahhhh nostalgia.

Good work!