BMW transmissions

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Terror Factor

Hi all,

Has anyone more info about the BMW transmissions? Some that come to mind are those of an E36/E46 M3 and those from a E39 530d. Very strong (apparently comparable to the supra v160) and very cheap boxes!

I found 1 person who did it, but there's not much info on it online. I messaged him through youtube, and will hopefully hear back from him soon.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1dwiOOK59Q#

I also found this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Su...d=100011&prg=1005&rk=1&rkt=5&sd=271202623149&

According to the seller, the gearbox is a straight fit to the 1/2JZ. Not sure if that helps anything with the 1uz though :)

At one time (when Getrag still posted their specs on the web), they said the 6spd used in the Supra was common to the BMW, and just a different bellhousing was used. I think there may have been some minor differences such as synchronisers, but that was it.

That would definitely be interesting, since the supra box costs £2000-3000 or so, and the getrag m3 box costs £500.
Too bad they aren't that popular in the states/australia. And the 1UZ isn't that popular in Europe, so the combination is not (well) documented.

The E36 3.2 m3 (and E46 M3) has a getrag(S6S 420G), the 3.0 m3 (and 328i) has a ZF box(S5D 310Z and S5D 320Z). Afaik they are interchangeable.
The E39 530d diesel box, is a ZF box (GS5-39DZ).

EDIT: the ebay seller says he offers a full conversion from manual to auto for 950. I've asked if the gearbox is included, and what else is included.
It's still not a 1UZ, but this would be very helpful info for a lot of 1/2jz owners I guess :)

EDIT: a bit more pictures from some guys who used the bmw box on a jz: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.321092901247183.69719.288295554526918&type=1

Last edited:
I would love to see a BMW Getrag/ZF adapter. They're affordable, readily available, and hold up to abuse.

More details on the car in the youtube link. He posted in the Facebook 1UZ group:

e30 1uz-fe
engine ECU: VEMS
coils from bmw V8
alternator from bmw
gearbox: ZF 5-speed from BMW e39 530 diesel
flywheel: rebuilt from bmw e32 m30b35 engine
clutch: bmw e39 530 diesel

2n1rjig.jpg

35mk21j.jpg

8xkn5s.jpg

ok3kw.jpg

1ou9h2.jpg

328 clutch.. it's same diameter as my 530 diesel 240mm.. i had no problems with it

Regarding flywheel:
drilled new holes and welden on starter gear from original uz flywheel

Last edited:
ABC clutches (the guys who do many BMW gearbox conversions, including the driftworks R32 with JZ-swap) are planning on doing a kit around the summer this year.

Adapterplate+custom flywheel+custom clutch (tilton 2 plate, rated to 700nm but apparently capable of more). You need to mail for pricing, but their JZ kit is ~1800 euro.

Quite a bit of money, but it's a pretty expensive clutch too.

In the UK is a guy that welds a new bellhousing on bmw boxes, like the one in the pictures. It's cheaper than the adapter plate kit, but I prefer an adapter plate, as you'll need custom work every time you break a box otherwise.

Hi there complete newbie to this forum. I'm planning on a conversion in my MX5 eunos, but with a very small budget. I joined here to find out about using the BMW gearbox and I guess it's not common on here.

I spotted a adaptor plate on eBay uk for the BMW gearbox to fit the 1uz.
There website is driftmoto.com looking at the eBay add. I'm budgeting £1000 uk pounds for the gearbox and I think with there kit it's achievable as BMW 323,325 and 330 models are very cheap and common here.

If anyone has any more info on this route that would be great.

Thanks Matt