Project Thread Supercharged Supra

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Cheers guys, I hope it's not another two years 'till the next dyno test (the real one)

If we get 600 to the dyno next time, I guess I'm done dynoing, and will have to start installing <gulp>.

I have a feeling 600hp is within your grasp. The torque curve doesn't seem to drop at all so the porting looks like it was well worth it. Can't wait to see what she'll do.

I have a feeling 600hp is within your grasp. The torque curve doesn't seem to drop at all so the porting looks like it was well worth it. Can't wait to see what she'll do.

Thanks Mitch.

I have managed to convince myself that this motor "should" have made at least 315 HP in NA trim this time, if the ignition and carb had been sorted.

Now considering the first motor made 211 in the same trim, then 498 after the blower went on (with mistimed cams), by using simple ratios, this 2nd motor "could" conceivably make 498/211 x 315 = 743 BHP to the dyno, and that's after 60-80 HP or so lost to the blower. Probably just a pipe dream, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Dennis & Josh aren't making any predictions - they're just saying "it's going to make a LOT of power" and that I'd better have enough injector to handle it. Hmmm, maybe a set of 850's wouldn't be so far fetched after all.

I hope Kelvin (Gloverman) can come up with a workable Gilmer pulley set soon, so we don't have to reinvent the wheel. I'd really prefer to get it on the dyno soon, while it's still winter.

I think we're going to have a lot of fun with this one on the dyno (if it holds together), and I'll try to give you at least a month's notice before we're ready for you.

Thanks Mitch.

I have managed to convince myself that this motor "should" have made at least 315 HP in NA trim this time, if the ignition and carb had been sorted.

Now considering the first motor made 211 in the same trim, then 498 after the blower went on (with mistimed cams), by using simple ratios, this 2nd motor "could" conceivably make 498/211 x 315 = 743 BHP to the dyno, and that's after 60-80 HP or so lost to the blower. Probably just a pipe dream, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Dennis & Josh aren't making any predictions - they're just saying "it's going to make a LOT of power" and that I'd better have enough injector to handle it. Hmmm, maybe a set of 850's wouldn't be so far fetched after all.

I hope Kelvin (Gloverman) can come up with a workable Gilmer pulley set soon, so we don't have to reinvent the wheel. I'd really prefer to get it on the dyno soon, while it's still winter.

I think we're going to have a lot of fun with this one on the dyno (if it holds together), and I'll try to give you at least a month's notice before we're ready for you.

John, I cant wait! This should be a real treat! Only thing here is you have me questioning my injector selection now. What size were you originally intending to run?

Boys calm down :) I run the 7MGTE 440's...although they flowed much higher on the test rig at more like 480....and they did 400rwkw easy off a 45psi base pressure and 16ps boost.

Because i'm now going to run E85 i have gone up to 560's that are a diffuser plate style for better atmomisation.

Fuel needs are just maths John so right down your alley to work out exactly what you need ;) Give yourself some headroom for safety and any future gains you might find and just a little bit extra again for the 'black art' component. Just be sure to check what pressure and duty cycle whatever you buy is rated at as there doesn't appear to be a standard as such.....one man's 500s may only be 450s in the real world world.

I think John originally run 460cc injectors from the RX7, but not sure about now. I'm running those same injectors at 13-14 psi and they seem to burn rich at 20 psi fuel of pressure at idle. I feel like they can still have more juice to squirt at more boost.

John, I cant wait! This should be a real treat! Only thing here is you have me questioning my injector selection now. What size were you originally intending to run?

Scott, I was originally planning on running 650's, but if you run the numbers, they're just a tad undersized for what this engine "might" do, once you consider supercharger losses.

John,

Scotts not the only one starting to question injector selection.

My 440's are starting to sound light on.

Rod, I'm pretty sure my 460's were on the ragged edge last time, and the only thing that saved us was the methanol injection. We know the motor made 498 HP to the dyno, and at the boost we were running, my calcs showed it was taking 60-80 HP to drive the SC, so to produce 498 HP net to the dyno, the engine was actually making 498+80=578 HP gross. The injector math shows that 460's "should" be good for (sorry in advance for using imperial units):

460/10.5 = ~44lbs/hr

44x8x0.80/0.55 = 512 HP

The 8 is the qty of injectors, the 0.80 is their duty cycle, and the 0.55 is the BSFC in lbs/hp-hr. (My BSFC was probably actually a little lower than 0.55 because at max output we were running AFR's of around 12:1)

So 512 HP worth of injectors @ 80% duty cycle really wasn't enough to run this motor with 80 HP lost through the supercharger, but we were also putting somewhere between 600cc/min and 800cc/min of straight methanol through the motor too, so IMO, that added sufficient fuel to keep the injectors at 80% and the AFR at 12:1, although we did see some duty spikes up to 90% in some places, IIRC.

Doing the same math now, "if" we assume this motor could give the dyno 700 HP, plus is still losing 80 HP to the blower, then I need:

780x0.55/8/0.80 = 67 lb/hr injectors or 67x10.5 = 703 cc/min

So the 650's I'm planning on using might be a bit light, but I think with the amount of methanol we'll be putting through the motor, they'll probably be "just" OK. But it's the "just" part that has me a bit nervous :)

My economic side is telling me it's stupid to buy a set of 850's "just" to run the motor on the dyno with C16, then another set of 650's for running the motor in the real world on pump gas at reduced boost. So I may just get the 650's and run the static rail pressure a bit higher to compensate. The Siemens DekaIV's apparently don't mind running at "much" higher rail pressures.

That is, of course, unless someone here would want to buy a set of "slightly" used 850cc DekaIV's when this is over!

Boys calm down :) I run the 7MGTE 440's...although they flowed much higher on the test rig at more like 480....and they did 400rwkw easy off a 45psi base pressure and 16ps boost.

Because i'm now going to run E85 i have gone up to 560's that are a diffuser plate style for better atmomisation.

Fuel needs are just maths John so right down your alley to work out exactly what you need ;) Give yourself some headroom for safety and any future gains you might find and just a little bit extra again for the 'black art' component. Just be sure to check what pressure and duty cycle whatever you buy is rated at as there doesn't appear to be a standard as such.....one man's 500s may only be 450s in the real world world.

Yep, you got it Justen. The thing we SC boys have to contend with, that you TT boys don't, is the power the SC consumes. While it doesn't appear at the flywheel of the motor, we definitely have to include it in our injector calcs, and it's considerable - depending on the SC and its efficiency, we're talking 60 - 80 HP or more.

I think John originally run 460cc injectors from the RX7, but not sure about now. I'm running those same injectors at 13-14 psi and they seem to burn rich at 20 psi fuel of pressure at idle. I feel like they can still have more juice to squirt at more boost.

Right Steve, those are what I ran before. BTW, getting your AEM idle map and IAC setup correctly is one of the great mysteries of the AEM as far as I'm concerned.

...Yep, you got it Justen. The thing we SC boys have to contend with, that you TT boys don't, is the power the SC consumes. While it doesn't appear at the flywheel of the motor, we definitely have to include it in our injector calcs, and it's considerable - depending on the SC and its efficiency, we're talking 60 - 80 HP or more...
Actually you're not the only one with loss. We turbo guys lose power to piping and intercooler. So if we run a wastegate spring that opens at 12 psi, we probably see 10 psi in the intake manifold. The engine has to work extra to make that up. And I haven't included for the backpressure issue in that loss yet.

I was cleaning out my digicam yesterday and found some head porting pics that I'd forgotten I took. In these pics (taken at the end of October), I think the heads were nearly finished. (These are the heads that are on the motor we just ran on the dyno in NA trim.)

IMG_0721Large.jpg

IMG_0724Large.jpg

IMG_0728Large.jpg

What is the "slot" on the right hand side of the port in the 2nd photo?

Are you using a trick form of water injection? Straight out of the cooling passages?

When we did mine we took out a little more meat around the base of the valve guide and reduced the guide on the inlet valve so it was flush with the head.

Rod, IIRC, those notches were cast in there. Your heads don't have them?

I chickened out on having the guides cut down flush, as I felt the effect on their longevity would be greater than the increase in performance. Just my opinion, however.

John,

I have the notches in the casting but just above it there is what looks like a small "letterbox" in the port. I don't have those in my heads.

I wonder what the notches were for? Mine have been mostly machined out in porting. I thought they may have been to retain the cores during casting.

I wasn't sure on the guides but I figure if the engine lasts 20,000k's that will be 10 years driving and by that time I'll be too old to climb up into the truck so went along with the engine man on it!

A number of guys have asked me about my shim under bucket conversion, ie what's involved, what did it cost, etc.

So I wrote a little article about it, which David has posted here: http://www.lextreme.com/Valve-Train.html. It should include most everything you need to know, and I'd be interested to have your feedback.