Wideband Sensor Preferences

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

bmack

hey all I've been thinking about getting a wideband sensor. Anyone know about DTech FC/BC with data logger tuner box and wideband sensor?

Any other economical wideband sensors that you would recommend?

Thanks just installed an SAFC2 and will be getting catbacks soon. 2.25 inch sound okay for supercharger m112?

later,
ben

Thanks devojet! what mods have you done and plan to do? That kit adds up what parts would you recommend buying? I also got some suggestions for AEM Uego anyone tried this?

I can't really recomend one as I'm not sure of your requirments. You mention a data logger, which is what my 2A1 unit is. I don't think they are making the 2A1 anymore so the equiverlent would be the 3A1 I think. My 2A1 can datalog AFR, RPM, 3 user inputs and 3 Thermocouple inputs either to internal memory or directly to a laptop. I've used it to tune turbo Desiel 4x4's, carbie V8's and Megasquirt ECU's.

I recommend you read about the different models on the web pages and decide what features you need and go from there.

I'm building a 1uz powered 26 chev hotrod. It will be run using a Megasquirt ECU including gearbox control. I plan to run custom exhausts and 8 itb's.

Thanks devojet! what mods have you done and plan to do? That kit adds up what parts would you recommend buying? I also got some suggestions for AEM Uego anyone tried this?
I'm currently running the AEM Uego and it's very responsive to the condition. I don't know about the other brands but the AEM is used in many cars successfully. It has many features helping tuning your car. It's also economical comparing to other brands. I got mine new for $245 shipped.

cool thanks devojet! I plan on doing Supercharger, safc, exhaust, headers, bfi, torque converter, and LSD on my sc400. Right now have the safc, exhaust, bfi and want to tune what I have so far. Thanks again!

I'm currently running the AEM Uego and it's very responsive to the condition. I don't know about the other brands but the AEM is used in many cars successfully. It has many features helping tuning your car. It's also economical comparing to other brands. I got mine new for $245 shipped.
hey steve,
thanks for the recommendation. I haven't researched the Wideband Sensors to much. Mostly, getting a feel for what's around. How do you like your Turbo setup? have you ran it on track?

hey lex,
not yet still sourcing parts. doing it kind of slow just to keep this project on the economical side. how is your m112 coming along?

I did a fair amount of research on WBO2 controllers and their ranges, and found only the TechEdge and AEM had the specs that were important to me, namely:

Able to read richer than 9.5:1 AFR (the AEM actually goes down to 8:1). This was the most important factor, as I've ruined a 2JZ motor in the past because my current WB AFR meter (FJO) was "pegged" on 10:1 and the tuner thought he was "safe", when in reality he was dumping raw fuel in the cylinders.

Dual channel (one for each cylinder bank on the V8)

I didn't need a display, datalogging, I/O, or all the other fancy cr*p that these companies like to add on to their products to drive the price up, so I went with the AEM. It's not the cheapest, but I've heard no negative comments about it. It'll get fired up for the first time today or tomorrow, so I can provide some "real" feedback about it soon.

hey steve,
thanks for the recommendation. I haven't researched the Wideband Sensors to much. Mostly, getting a feel for what's around. How do you like your Turbo setup? have you ran it on track?
I like it very much. It's very responsive with a lot of torques in the low end. I love the V8 when it kicks in. I just smoked the brand Infinity G35 sedan easily. That G35 car has 306 bhp and only 3500 lbs comparing to the SC that has 3750 lbs. I think I'm in the 350 bhp range with only 6 psi.

hey steve, your car sounds quick! I am just getting started with this car and hope to supercharge, but with the wifey in the pic this project will move slowly.

Hey Lex and Cribbj

Just bought a general air fuel gauge for the meantime. it's an iequus 8366 fuel gauge. Not sure if I can use it to tune with the safc2. I picked it up for $25 off of craigslist brand new. If we get a group buy going for the uego count me in . Or if there is another gauge with air fuel numerical read out + any other stats I'd definitely be interested.

Nice to know... expensive but well worth it. I have definately look into these two units. So it is compatible with AEM EMS then. I hope they are plug and play...

I have a question for the serial guage. How do u know what is displaying? I meant is there a referrence of what is displaying?

Tech Edge WBO2 - dual o2 sensors and display

David, I think the gauge type WBO2 controller is only a single channel unit.

The WBO2 unit from Tech Edge (http://wbo2.com/home/products.htm ) comes in single and dual display - I have the 3b1 dual display unit functioning. The pics below show the LA1g gauge I am using. Peter's a retired physicist who seems pretty switched on, buys all the current units on the market to compare and improve his product and continues to beat them on price and functions - and Aussie made! He also has a larger display to hang on the wall that you can read from 15m away for workshop tuning as well.

It's a great unit, Peter has lots of different units available and I'd be happy to talk to him about a group buy as he's only 20 minutes away from me. You can order the units with/without sensors, displays leads etc which is good to know, as he has sensor leads from 0.4m to 8m long (I run a 400 mm and 1m leads as the Bosch sensor has about a 300mm length on it as well). You can also talk to him direct as he posts worldwide.

The software is freely available and easily reconfigurable as you can upload with the supplied cable and play with the unit connected to your pc – don’t know any other units on the market that let you do this. Can read up to 4 thermocouple sensors for temp measuring and logging which is great if you want to continue running the factory Ecu or only have a piggyback. You can also have it log vehicle speed and rpm for playback (and comparison to egt sensor readings) The 3H1 unit I have has pretty leds on it that change colours to let you know what it’s doing if you don’t want a display. It has a simple Auto calibrate function.

He’s set my software so that
  • the first press of the button shows both O2 sensors independently on the outside bar graph while the centre digital number is the average
  • the second press shows left bank only
  • the third press shows right bank only
  • and then it repeats
The right hand button starts and stops logging, clears the log etc.

Here’s some of the specs, but I won’t waste forum space repeating the info – visit his site if you're interested.
[FONT=&quot]
  • Accuracy within 0.1 AFR (Lambda +/- 0.005).
  • Supports LSU 4.0/4.2 (Bosch 6066/7057 family) as well as NTK (L1H1/L2H2) sensor (requires NTK sensor cable).
  • Support for LSU 4.9 sensor (designed for accurate lean region, as well as rich, operation).
  • Reads from a rich AFR 9 to a lean mixture of AFR 25
  • 1 Mega byte on-board logging memory (32 times more than 2A0).
  • WBlin configurable wideband up to 8 Volt output (12 bit DAC accuracy).
  • 6 analogue inputs configurable as:
    • up to 6 of 0 to 5 Volt inputs (4 differential, 2 single ended).
    • up to 4 of thermocouple inputs (all differential) .
  • Additional pulse input channel (for vehicle speed, etc.)
  • 10.5 to 19.5 Volt DC operation (up to 5 Amps).
  • NBsim narrowband output (10 bit PWM signal & configurable too).
  • SVout 10 bit configurable (for LD01 display too).
  • RPM input from Tacho or ECU for logging.
  • Free logging software (optional extra feature upgrade available).
[/FONT]