whats the best piggyback cpu for my sc400

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

deathblow

Hey guys what up? Im looking in to getting a piggy back CPU for my 92 sc400. The problem is i don’t really know where im going with the car. I really wanted to turbo it but because of money issues and that it is a daily driver its going to be hard. I saw that there is a super charger in development so i was thinking about going with that. But im torn between the two. I mean i love turbos my brother has a STI and i just finished installing a turbo kit for my friend on his 99 protégé. So i was wondering if there was a piggy back that could be used for either and still for now works with my car in the Na position it is in now. The only upgrades that are on the car now is the TQ,air intake, radiator, tranny cooler, rear exhaust section with hks draggers,ls400 brake upgrade. I saw the post on the pulleys but i want to see what type of pros and cons will come from me adding this on to my car. All so i see that there are many different setups for the ignition; i would also like to know what will work well with which piggy back ecu. Well thank in advance for any help you guys can give me.

I have a simular 1992 sc400 just like yours and I have done everything you have done and then some and I recommend you go with a magnaflow catalytic converter swap, it makes a difference a noticeable difference when I changed mine out, because after 14 years the stock ones get clogged and very restrictive. I also am running 100hp nos on my car, but am probably going to supercharge down the road not turbo but first need to build up the internals of the engine and drivetrain to handle the massive Hp's. I am pushing slightly over 400hp now and getting nervous, stock engine and tranny cannot handle much more then 450hp.

In regards to the ecu piggy, I have been using an Apexi piggyback and it works well but actually fouled up 4 months later after install,. I hear the Greddy-e-manage is the best one in the States. Be informed for the 10-15hp you may gain in hp you will get killed at the pumps and is almost not worth it. Good luck.

Unichip are good but I am not sure they are sold in the USA? I am running an Apexi piggy back and it failed so I cannot recommend that.

I'm not sure if it applies to the 1uz ecu, but in the Supra world, the best piggy backs are the VPC and S-AFC. I'm not sure if the MAP ECU will work in the V8 or not.

Eric

I am not sure if it is the system is easy to use with wide range of functions. I have tried both Apexi AFC and Split Second FTC1. AFC is very simple and only able to control fuel at about 25% if my memory serve me correctly. I am using FTC1 now and able to control much larger injectors. I think from stock to upgrade i think the FTC1 will be able to handle about 650 cc. I really dont think the AFC is able to control that size of injectors. Second things like about the FTC1 is that is able to retard timing. AFC only get info from the TPS and MAF. However, FTC1 also get info from the crank sensor and vacuum signal.

I dont know much about Uni-chip there for i can not comment on it. However, from what i remember that only licensed and certified techs are allow to program it. Here are some articles i wrote for those two units.

Piggyback Computers

Has anyone tried the Greddy E-Manage piggy, I know in the Chevy, Dodge and Ford world that is the best. I am sure they work with the import V8's. Anyone?

The first Gen E-manage has been traced to tossing rods out of the blocks. The second gen doesn't have those issues, but you will need to purchase three of them at once. So when the first two refuse to work properly, you will have a spare. : (

Eric

Is that right Eric? Wow! I ran one a few years back on my small block Chevy and it worked like a champ. No problems what so ever. So the AFC may be the best choice from what I am reading for imports?

The S-AFC has been the work horse in pigybacks for the past 5 years. I'm not sure if they still sell the VPC (which does away with the MAF, and converts to speed density), but the VPC, S-AFC has supported 900 rwhp. It can control up to 850cc injectors, and will take 30psi before it runs out of resolution.

E-manage works for some, and never works for others. I know tuners that go through three of them, and they never owrk properly. Some work on the first try. Hit and miss.

Eric

No timing control; bummer, that and no add-on injector feature.
I like the products from Split Second, however i am using a Unichip on the SC; it stinks not being able and mess with it, but I have been told the injectors are running at max duration, so I just increase fuel pressure to fine tune, runs great.

Another possible option might be a MAFTPro. Timing control isn't an option yet, but timing monitor is for the 7MGTE's and the software is in development for timing control.
I will start testing my MAFTPro next month.