What's my prospective 98 LS400 worth?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Hi all,

I am in the process to check out a 98 LS400. It was presented as "pristine".
An SGS inspection revealed "less than pristine" - specifically quite a few dents, stained floor carpet, a cigarette burn, etc.
The car seems mechanically okay.

I agreed on a (what I would call) "Pristine/premium" price for the car, which off course I have to re-negotiate now.
No idea yet if the seller will accept an adjusted price or not, but I am not "in love/last chance/this one or none" with this specific car.

The seller does not really want to sell, but has to for economical reasons.
He seems to be a nice guy and I do not want to take advantage of him, but neither am I willing to pay more than the car is worth - he did mention some dents, but these look like "serious dents".

Question: Does the Kelley Blue Book reflect the values accurately or are they way off - specifically for the 98-00 LS400, low mileage (this one has only 63000). The initially agreed price is obviously not in the weekend project area!

"Go there and check it out, man!" - .....wish I could, but that would put the car out of rational reach - I have to buy un-seen.
I already have to absorb quite a high percentage in shipping, tax, customs, etc.... (I live in Panama ....)

With the SGS report I have a better idea of the actual condition of the car. IF blue book values reflect real world street prices, I have a good reference of the actual value of the car....

Thanks for your time and help!

Cheers,

thjakits :cool:

PS: By chance any one of you guys lives around 100 miles north of Miami on the Atlantic Coast and has real good experience with used Lexus'?? Maybe you would be willing to go and a have look?:eek:

From my experience, the Kelly Blue Book is a bit high for real market price, even its lists under private party. As a rule of thumb, I drop $1K from the KBB price to match with the market price. If you're in Panama, next to Canal, then the KBB won't work. LOL. :D

Actually KBB is EXACTLY what the customs guys go by!
(And then slap shipping cost on top to charge import tax!!)

Well, got more feedback from the SGS inspector. Dents are not as bad as seen in the photos - lots of reflections from surroundings are giving a wrong impression.
Never the less it is not excellent by KBB standards. I will wait for a few more posts and re-negotiate on KBB value basis ....

Thanks for the data on general KBB value versus actual street price...

Guys,

on the SGS report I received a few pics of the prospective car.

One shows the left front underbody/sill area:

There is what looks like a huge dent, I rather believe it is actually built like that, but why don't you guys do me a favor, get out to your mistress and hav a closer look! If your pride&joy looks the same there, I should be okay....
(98 - LS400)

LS400leftsidebottom.jpg

Thanx for your help!

Don't worry about that underbody dent. I made 2 dents on my SC400 when I tried to jack up the car. :D They didn't go into the inner body, so there should be another layer of protection inside of it. But in your case, ask the seller if that dent went inside the car.

Okay guys,

I really would appreciate if one of you would do me the favor and have a look underneath your LS400 to see if there is a dent/"free space" like in the picture.
Sometimes underbodies look weird from factory for even weirder reasons.
This one should be just underneath the left front door hinge line.
You can see the Y-pipe .....

Just need to know, if this corner is one of these weird ones or if it definitely is a dent (if so it is a mother of a dent!) ....

PS: Your chance to get a good look under your ride! :D

Okay guys,

I really would appreciate if one of you would do me the favor and have a look underneath your LS400 to see if there is a dent/"free space" like in the picture.
Sometimes underbodies look weird from factory for even weirder reasons.
This one should be just underneath the left front door hinge line.
You can see the Y-pipe .....

Just need to know, if this corner is one of these weird ones or if it definitely is a dent (if so it is a mother of a dent!) ....

PS: Your chance to get a good look under your ride! :D

I spent a lot of time down there today (battery relocation to trunk) and I noticed that some bozo dented my car in exactly the same spot as yours!