What would solve my transmission/throttle issues?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Avet4

I have a 99 VVTi with the 5 speed. The problem I have with the transmission is delayed downshifts when trying to accelerate quickly from a slow rolling speed, very indirect throttle response, and sometimes what feels like a slipping which I'm wondering might be the torque converter.

My neighbor just bought a BMW 540i Automatic and it's throttle response was so much tighter, so much more linear compared to the LS. It's only got a marginally larger engine and similar power output.

So to summarize:

I want more direct throttle response

quicker shifts

resolve slippage issue

What options do I have?

If a shift kit is recommended, is there a specific one I could get a name or link to?

If a torque converter, same question.....

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

toyota autos are crap in the way they work
they are made for some old fart who does not want to feel the gear changes
our newish toyota aurion drives very good of the mark when u accelerate hard
and i recon would have beaten my hilux with 1uz but the aurions fly by wire programming is abit dull or mellow at light throttle
its like its deciding what to do and i think this is so when u drive over bumps and stuff
and u are light on the throttle and u bump it on and off slightly that the engine does jerk forward for that slip second u pressed the throttle
what u do to the pedal is not always what the butterfly is doing this is for nearly all fbw setups
with the gm stuff u can program it so it is nearly 1 to 1
but with the toyota stuff u cant
in the end toyotas are for luxury and if u wanted a good nice shift by a ferrari hehehehehehehe

I agree with you with what the problem is, but I seem to see threads here regarding shift kits and torque converters. I just don't know enough about either, and which cars they're applicable to, and the results.

im not sure on your type of box since its a 5 speed
the newer the car the more issues u can have when u start moddding stuff
so i would ring around afew transmission shops and see if they have played with yr type of box
but on my old 1uz with 4 spd auto i played with speed signals and got it to shift later
and earlier
and i also got valve body tricked up to a sort of 1 or 1.5 stage which is ok for road use
stage 3 is for race use i think
doing the valve body made it shift abit quicker and sharper
but if u got the throttle in a certain spot during gear change it would change harsh
just a touch to harsh for street use but never worried me
i then fitted a tip tronic shift kit
this stops the ecu changing gears for u and will select the gear exactly when u press the button
this also speed up gear changes

so in the end gear changes speed up and firmed up with valve body modded
then i got the gears to change abit more quicker when i added the tip tornic unit afterwards

but dont think this might work on the 5 speeds as they have 3 solenoids and the 4 speeds have 2 solenoids

Disconnect the battery. Turn something on like the head lamp switch and leave it overnight. In the morning not forgetting to turn off what was turned on hook the battery back up, start her up and warm her up then go and thrash the life out of it.. Post the results