What was the first vehicle the 1UZ was built for?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Zuffen

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whilst looking at oil filter mounting positions the thought occurred to me the engine looks like it was originally designed for the Crown filter set up rather than the SC or LS.

The reason behind my thinking is the engine has the bosses cast into it for the filter to bolt to.

If the LS or SC were the first vehicle the mounting bosses wouldn't be on all engines.

I'd be interested in other people's thoughts.

LS400. It proceeded the SC400 by 3 years after developement of the F1 (LS400 developement cost 1-2 billion usd) started in 1983. (when I was born)

Lexus launched in 1989 with the LS400, and the gen2 Camry based ES 250, of which Lexus was suprized to learn the ES line trampled everything but the Highlander(kluger) based RX's in the mid-90's. Basically... The only reason Lexus is still around around & profitable since the beginning are ES & RX sales LoL! They sell very little of anything else. IS sales are *finally* contributing now. Most of those are IS250's hahaha

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus

Yeah, from my readings it was designed for the Celsior.
ie, the 1UZ and Celsior were designed around each other.
Everything fits in that bay perfectly.

The 131 series Crown was NEVER designed to fit the 1UZ.
Thats why the motor is on an angle (to clear the steering), and why the exhaust isn't twin outlet (car was designed for the 7MGE, only single exhaust)
I'm guessing the V8 Crown was just an afterthought.

According to my source the first UZS131 was in August 1989, where as the first UCF10 was in Nov 1988.
The Celsior probably didn't begin production until mid 1989 though, but definitely before the Crown V8 was released.

But back to you point Rod, thats a good question, perhaps the first few hundred blocks produced didn't have the boss you speak of?

The old square shape Crown was the first I saw available with the 1UZ. Almost bought one ex Japan just to get the engine. At auction went for $300 AUD when engines here were $3500/$4000.
Had 1 broken headlight ! All the bells and whistles of the later top line Lexus.