Well that was a long weekend!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Jem

Firstly I should say hi, been regestered for a few weeks, but not really had anything to post until now.

My stock V8 has been using coolant at a rate of 3 quarts every 100 miles, loads of steam coming out of the exhausts and exhaust gas in the cooling system suggested a blown head gasket or cracked block/head. It was driving fine though.

So I set about changing the engine for a good used one this weekend just gone. In total it took four days, one day to get the engine out, a day to strip everything off the old engine, a day to rebuild everything onto the new engine and a day to refit. the new engine is from a UZZ32, and my car is a UZZ31, so I didnt know what if any differences there would be in the wiring loom, or other bolt ons. Tuens out that the oil pump casting is differen, so that had to be swaped.

Once it was in though it fired up and ran smoothly with the first turn on the key. It really was like the new engine had always been in there.

I've gotta say it's very nice to have it back on the road:bigok:

This is the new engine stripped down to just the sump, block, heads and cams.
newengine.jpg

The old engine on the floor.
oldengine.jpg

The hole in the engine bay.
hole.jpg

Cams on the new engine look in good condition (the cams on the old engine did too though!).
cams.jpg

camss.jpg

Nice clean bottom end.
crank.jpg

The new engine is spotless in the water jacket!
enginefront-nooilpump.jpg

waterjacket.jpg

I think this bit was important!
loom.jpg

Attachments

• P1010048 (Large).jpg
    P1010048 (Large).jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 32
  • P1010048 (Medium).JPG
    P1010048 (Medium).JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 18
  • P1010048 (Small).JPG
    P1010048 (Small).JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 750x600.JPG
    750x600.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 13
And a few pictures of the car itself:

CarskyEDIT2copy.jpg

IMG_4582-012.jpg

IMG_4620-01.jpg

IMG_4568-01copy.jpg

IMG_4653-01.jpg

Good job on the swap....It sounds like everything worked out well for you...Curious? Did you happen to get the same year 1uz-fe to replace your old one? Did everything hookup just perfect? Lastly why did you pull the tranny was it just easier that way?

Lots of questions, sorry bro... I am looking at replacing the transmission on my 92 SC400 in the next week or so and want to know what I am in for...Never pulled a tranny on an SC4 before... Can you advise my on anything to look for?

Also that car of yours is one very clean SC400..Congrats on the nice ride it really looks sweet......

For changing the engine I would say it's deffinatly easier to pull it with the box too. All that needs to be disconnected from the box is the prop (oil doesnt leak out) the selector linkage (one 13mm nut!) and the gearbox mount (four 17mm nuts and four 14mm nuts). The exhaust has to come off too.

As for removing just the gearbox, you have all the above, and the wiring loom to the box, which is not alot. The torque converter bolts which are under the cover at the bottom rear of the engine and the bell housing bolts. It should be possible to do without removing the engine.