wanna race? :D

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Loroh - A clean rag and WD40 will not clean the throttle body behind or around the TB fly. and I am not so sure a WD40 residue is a good idea to leave on the inside of the throttle body......Carb cleaner sprayed generously will clean and lubricate the throttle body and fly just fine...You can take it step further as stated in the link and clean the MAf, sensors, snorkel tube, etc..but that is more cleaning then just the TB and in most cases not necessary...The dirt and or film build up on the inside of the throttle body and fly is what causes the idle to bounce and or idle poorly in most cases...By spraying the inside of the TB and fly you are removing the dirt and grime buildup so it will function correctly and flow more smoothly..The throttle body fly will not be resticted any longer from opening and closing.....When doing this proceedure while running the motor, everything is sucked through the intake and motor and out the exhaust. (You may stall out a few times but that is ok) ..By doing this procedure without the motor running you are essentially flooding the intake with carb cleaner and may have difficulties starting the motor for a while. You may even experience a back fire until the intake is all dried out...Plus when not running the engine the dirt and grime really isn't completely removed and just puddles, but even that should do the trick......Fella's it's not a big deal and I can clean out my throttle body in about five minutes......I have been cleaning throttle bodies on these Sc's for years and years...90% of the time I get positive results...Just ask any mechanic and they will tell you the same...

Your intake is usually the culprit for a bad or rough idle, also a vacume leak can be the problem when your car is stalling out at idle...Other stuff can be the problem but is not common...TPS, ECU, MAF, Electrical, etc...

wd40 and throttle body in one sentence doesnt sound to good. you can also use break cleaner if the throttle body is off. i'd start by changing the cheaper stuff such as distributor cap and rotor that will help your idle alot. while your at it get some spark plugs and wire.

Distributor cap and rotor will help your idle? OK, what ever you say..wrong....

Spark plugs, wires,caps and rotors will help with detonation, electrical, but not the idle...Even if one of those items is very fouled which is never the case you might loose a spark and detonation in one of the cylinders and that would make things worse then a rough idle...

I'm ignoring jibbby from now on...

maybe its just me, but "When doing this proceedure while running the motor, everything is sucked through the intake and motor and out the exhaust."

doesn't really sound like a very healthy thing to be doing to an engine...

not to mention the fact, that fouled plugs and faulty spark plug leads WILL effect your idle...

I'm ignoring jibbby from now on...

maybe its just me, but "When doing this proceedure while running the motor, everything is sucked through the intake and motor and out the exhaust."

doesn't really sound like a very healthy thing to be doing to an engine...

not to mention the fact, that fouled plugs and faulty spark plug leads WILL effect your idle...

what ever your saying is right. :beerchug:
doesnt take a certified mechanic to tell you a bad dizzy will cause your car to idle poorly. good luck

Thank's for the info jibbby, I know what you mean,

I was just stating what I had and hadn't done.

I also don't have an idling or stalling problem. Mine has never stalled.
I just have the hard start when cold problem.

As far as you can see inside of my plenem with the butterfly off is spotless, but I take your advice and do the carby clean thing anyway. Can't hurt to try.

What ever guys, I guess Death by bass and bluekush know what they are talking about...I really don't know what I was thinking saying that?...Hope it works out for you guys anyway...Maybe also you can gain 50hp or more by changing the caps and rotors too in addtion to fixing an idle problem.....

You guys are right spraying Carb cleaner through the Throttle body and intake is just aweful for the engine infact it could blow up, I wouldn't try that either......Sorry to suggest that..I am done on this thread....

Loroh - no problem, I thought you had a bouncing or rough idle, and or stalls, my bad... Good luck with your fix...

Hey get this.... I removed the exhaust (including the cat)to replace it and decided to start it up to see how loud it was.
Yeah it was frikin loud but more to the point It started fine.
I waited untill the next day and did it agian to be sure, but it was still fine.
I don't see how the exhaust can make it hard to start?
:werd:

Attachments

• DSCN0788.jpg
    DSCN0788.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0789.jpg
    DSCN0789.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0790.jpg
    DSCN0790.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 0
Hey get this.... I removed the exhaust (including the cat)to replace it and decided to start it up to see how loud it was.
Yeah it was frikin loud but more to the point It started fine.
I waited untill the next day and did it agian to be sure, but it was still fine.
I don't see how the exhaust can make it hard to start?
:werd:

yesterday a mechanic friend of mine looked at my car for me...

he cleaned the throttle body, and couldn't even think of any other possible causes for the problem...

this morning, the problem is still there...

should I try taking my exhaust off? :p

Don't ask me Im no mechanic, I just thought I'd let you know.

I still don't get how the exhaust can have this effect? Maybe my catalytic converter's on it's way out. I can still see through my cat, but only just!

Thing is I'll had other car's where the cat's have compleatley blocked up, apart from not being able to rev them out, (because of the back pressure) they still start fine.

Nah It's my second car, don't use it every day.

It's sitting in my shed waiting for me to get off my ass any buy some more 2 1/4 inch steel exhaust bends so I can start making up the new exhaust.

Also I was waiting for "elliotaw" to make up some parts for me, but I picked them up yesterday so I supose I should get to it.

Any updates on you stating problem?

Any updates on you stating problem?

yup, it seems to be getting worse, and its stalled again just after starting.

also, the "check engine" light comes off and on while its running rough, I checked the engine, its still there :ponder::Eyecrazy:

I think I might just put up with the problem... drive it till it breaks?

And um..... what if it doesn't break???

Should have my exhaust done by somtime this week end, I'll let you know if it makes a difference

Well exhaust is done, 2 1/4 inch from manifolds in to 2 1/2
Started it up just a while a go and it run's compleatley different, Idles 500rpm lower and starts easy.
I'd say My old cat was on it's last legs.

cold idle is supposed to be like 1000 - 1100 rpm, which is what mine does, and warm idle is 650, which seems to be spot on aswell...

Yeah, mine was idling at 1500rpm (cold) then it would drop down to 650rpm when warmed up.

Is yours still getting worse?

I recently got my 93 LS400 motor up and running in my 83 Celica. I am very interested in what you end up finding as my motor seems to be doing something similar. It fires up very quickly when I turn the key, but it won't stay running unless I put my foot on the throttle a bit and rev it a few times. If I let it down to idle, it might stall, but if it stays running it is down at 400 rpm or so. Once it warms up the idle comes up to 650 and is very smooth. The cold start injector is working fine as it fires right up on the key, and the cold injector only runs while cranking like a choke. I think the idle control stepper motor is not working, but I have not been able to test it yet. I have not had any codes set yet. My motor did this with no exhaust, as well as with a free flow exhaust with stock front converters though.

Gary M.

Attachments

• CAR.jpg
    CAR.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 11
  • CAR2.jpg
    CAR2.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 11
  • CAR3.jpg
    CAR3.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 11
  • CAR4.jpg
    CAR4.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 11
  • CAR5.jpg
    CAR5.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 11
  • CAR6.jpg
    CAR6.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 11
The day I finished my conversion It started fine, (12mounths ago)
Since then it has slowley got harded and harder to start,

I've just finished an exhaust upgrade and found that it's fixed the problem, but I wouldn't be supprised it it slowley does it agian:squint:

I'll let you know in a week or two if it get hard to start agian

also:
I found the reason why mine was idling at 1500rpm when cold was because of not enuf slack in the throttle cable. yes silly me. weird because it would still drop down to 650rpm when warm