wanna race? :D

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Death By Bass

my car doesn't run well on startup at all now...

it was alright to begin with (with the new air filter) but for the past week or so, its very sluggish to fire up, (gotta crank it for a fair while) and then, when it does start, it'll run very rough, and sit at like 500rpm for maybe 10 seconds, then fire up, and sit at 1000rpm...

oh, btw, this is when its cold... when warm, it runs fine...

I have recently replaced the petrol filter, put a full tank of 98 octane fuel in it, aswell as a bottle of injector cleaner...

what happened!??! lol

It sounds like your battery is worn out, and your car is trying to idle higher to charge the battery for you. Check how old your battery is, and if it's due, replace it.

It sounds like your battery is worn out, and your car is trying to idle higher to charge the battery for you. Check how old your battery is, and if it's due, replace it.

I'm very much doubting that its the battery...

whats the cold idle revs supposed to be then?

once warm, its supposed to be 650rpm, and thats what it sits at, but when cold, the auto choke should hold it higher, right?

I have the same problem as you "Bass"

On cold starts it run's really poor and has thouble idling for like 10 seconds.
I found that starting the car with my foot on the throttle "as in foot to the floor" helps heaps. And by doing this it starts almost normal

I figured that fuel was leaking into the engine from the injectors.
But im not sure,

Note: I also have a band new battey

I have the same problem as you "Bass"

On cold starts it run's really poor and has thouble idling for like 10 seconds.
I found that starting the car with my foot on the throttle "as in foot to the floor" helps heaps. And by doing this it starts almost normal

I figured that fuel was leaking into the engine from the injectors.
But im not sure,

Note: I also have a band new battey

I recently replaced my fuel filter, and someone suggested it may be leaking, so, the pressure in the fuel lines would be lost while the car was off, then when it came to start it again, there was no pressure for the injectors untill it built up abit...

so, I left the key in the "on" position for a few minutes before cranking, figuring the fuel pump would then be going? yes?

anyway, after than, when I cranked it over, it STALLED within the 10 seconds :p

My fuel pump starts up when my key is turned to ACC, (conversion)
so I can run the pump as long as I like before starting the car.
It makes no difference how long the pump runs for.

What I think is happening is the fuel pressure in the rail after the engine is turned off, is leaking into the combustion chamber through the injectors. (could be wrong) Thus causing an extremley rich mixture, making it hard to start.

What I think is happening is the fuel pressure in the rail after the engine is turned off, is leaking into the combustion chamber through the injectors. (could be wrong) Thus causing an extremley rich mixture, making it hard to start.

I recently put 98 octane fuel, and injector cleaner in mine, so maybe the gunk in the injectors was all that was sealing them...

I tried starting it with my foot flat to the floor... but I didn't keep it there long...

it started up maybe abit better, and was at 900rpm, but that then dropped down to 500 and did the same thing it always does.

it you tap the throttle while its at 500rpm, it nearly stalls.

If it idles low and nearly stalled when you crack the throttle it sounds like it isn't getting enough fuel.

I'd look at your cold start injector. Cow of a thing to check as it's under the manifold.

If the engine stays on while you give it gas, but then when you let off it idles low and then dies, try to adjust your TPS, and if it's busted then you'd need to replace it. I had a similar problem on a 91 LS400 once.

If the engine stays on while you give it gas, but then when you let off it idles low and then dies, try to adjust your TPS, and if it's busted then you'd need to replace it. I had a similar problem on a 91 LS400 once.

your suggestions really are rather funny... for lack of a better word...

here's a quote for you:

it you tap the throttle while its at 500rpm, it nearly stalls.

Yeah sound's like we have compleatley different problems bass, After I start my car (with 4-5 seconds of rough idling) it goes up to 1500rpm untill it warms up and then go's back down to 600rpm.

If you then shut it off and re-start the engine it idles at 600rpm straght away. no prob's

Yeah sound's like we have compleatley different problems bass, After I start my car (with 4-5 seconds of rough idling) it goes up to 1500rpm untill it warms up and then go's back down to 600rpm.

If you then shut it off and re-start the engine it idles at 600rpm straght away. no prob's

no, thats pretty much what mine does...

it starts up badly, and idles rough, and low, then rises to about 1000rpm, then drops back down to 650rpm as it warms up...

Like i said, the TPS could be broken. For lack of a better word, you are an idiot. I told you i had a similar problem once.

the problem you described is completely different to what I said!?!?!?!?

not to mention, the first suggestion you came up with, was the battery!?!?!?

you gotta be kidding!!!

Ok ok ok....

So asuming it's the TPS (as you sugest), Is there a way of testing it? Or can I just swap it with the traction control one?

Spray and clean out your throttle body and see what happens...If your using an after market air filter your throttle body probably needs a good cleaning...Check for vacume leaks, TPS sensor failure is not likely but is possible...Good luck...

Spray and clean out your throttle body and see what happens...If your using an after market air filter your throttle body probably needs a good cleaning...Check for vacume leaks, TPS sensor failure is not likely but is possible...Good luck...

I'd like to pull the throttle body completely off, and clean it, but that'll be in the future, as I believe you need to drain the radiator, and disconect some hoses and stuff...

also considered vacuum leaks, but I dunno where to even start looking :p

Not true, three bolts and the snorkel tube comes or pulls right off and throttle body is exposed...Spray STP carb cleaner generously..Hit the butterfly while opening and closing.....You can do this with the car not running or best if running but you need to hold the throttle spring down manually while spraying to keep the car running or it will stall out...I have done this many times....Very easy and it smoothes out the idle every time when the car idles rough...I recommend this for anyone who has a rough idle....Try it, it's a $5 fix.....

Im using the original air duct and filter (new as of 2 mounths ago)

And last time I took off the TB I gave it a good clean with a rag and WD40.
(All-tho I haven't used any carby cleaner on it while it's running.)