VVTI ECU Purchase Questions..

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Christopher W.

This is a cover my arse purchase....meaning get everything I might possible need to get this up and running.

I am buying a US 2000 GS400 1UZ-FE VVTI engine to put into a 1987 Toyota 4Runner. I will be running stock ecu and using a piggy back system.

I have found a US 2000 GS400 (not the same car the engine came from) that I am buying the US ecu out of. It is not available for me to look at as it is many states away.

I am wanting to buy anything that might be related to getting this up and running all from the same vehicle in the hopes of not having any compatibility issues. I have got anything and everything between the key, ignition switch, wiring and boxes (two) to the ecu. I also bought the instrument cluster just cause I thought it might be cool to swap into the 4Runner..

The car my engine is coming out of was drive by wire but was changed to throttle cable when they went to the Accufab throttle body. No wires needed..

I want to get it all from this one car. If I am not sure, I am going to buy it anyway and if I don't need it I can sell it later or whatever.

Is there anything I am missing??

Any input would be appreciated!!

Last edited:
Why not just get an aftermarket ecu that will control the vvti? then you can also play with it etc.

Linkecu.com is a great ecu, the g4 extreme is well up to the task.

Can an aftermarket ecu control the vvti as effectively as the stock ecu?

I didn't get the idea that it could.

I had originally wanted the Autronic SM4. The guy that built the engine that I am buying says he uses the stock ecu to control vvti. He then has a haltech control the rest.

With my new setup running a supercharger he says to use the stock ecu to run the vvti and he is producing a piggy back for the performance of the engine.

I am a little over my head in these conversations. As long as the people I hire have a solid understanding I am good. I am just trying to get the broad strokes of the setup.

The link ( and several other aftermarket ecus) can control the VVti like factory but with the ability to tune it which cant be done with the stock ecu. One ecu doing the job is far easier than two.

Cheers

VVTi engines are smarter and require security module in order to work. If you use aftermarket ecu that would be ok.

I am not sure if you read that I bought a GS400 ecu and got everything from the key, ignition, all wiring and any box that was between the key and ecu. I guess that would include the security module you speak of??

If I decide to ditch all the stock ecu and security stuff, I can use an aftermarket ecu? That is what I understand now.

I will tell you I am not going to be doing the tuning. :confused: I do my job well. I leave this stuff to others!!

Say I go with a Link Extreme or a Autronic SM4. It sounds quite complicated to get the vvti to work as well (or better) than the stock ecu.

Is this something all in a days work for a well qualified tuner? Or can I get the maps for this operation of the vvti from someone?

The link has a base set of numbers for the VVti and good wiring instructions so if wired the recommended way the base numbers give you a good head start. More and more engines have a form of VVti now so aftermarket ECUs have to keep up.

On the security of the factory ECU I can break into it anyway.