Two-sided serpentine belt?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Thermactor

Is there a serpentine belt available for our cars with the cogs on both sides? This would be to allow the use of a clockwise rotation (facing towards the engine) supercharger with a counter clockwise bracket (facing away from the engine).

seen that once on tv a program where a guy builds a kit helicopter, in which case it probably would not be very cheap, but availeble at least. maybe aircraftspurce or something?

grtz thomas

Thanks for the help, I found a ccw rotation supercharger that works fine for my needs. When I compared the cw and ccw rotation blowers side by side I discovered that the cw blower I had would work fine at ccw rotation - because it has straight impellers, it would blow in either direction, the only issue is that the volute would make it suck rather than blow. A different volute would solve the issue; maybe I can bum around on some Mustang forums to see if anyone would be interested in trading volutes! hehe

Don't all belts have 2 sides?
nnnooo

cribbj, i looked in the industrial catalog and didn't see any suitable two sided serpentine-style belts - the only thing i could come up with was a cog style (timing belt looking) two sided belt. Thanks for the suggestion though

They're there, but unfortunately they're only available in a single rib design. Look at what Gates calls their "Dubl-V" - illustration below from their French catalog which is what I have here in Algeria.

I also checked a Japanese belt manufacturer, and they have a similar single rib "Double V" belt, but not multi rib.

Think you'll have to go to a synchro type timing belt for this application, but I have a hunch you're going to spend more trying to make this work than a CW supercharger would cost.....

Actually, with good planning, you could mount this thing as you described (backwards) and still turn it from a single sided belt. I don't see where you need the double sided belt?

Have you seen David (Lextreme's) reverse mounted alternator?

Thanks for the help, John! All right - now to get it to work counterclockwise I could do the following -

Use the compressor exit as the intake and the inlet as the exit, the exact reverse of the way it would normally be. Not a good idea IMO because the volute wasn't designed that way.

Run a flat pulley (like the water pump) and let the back of the belt turn it - again not a very good idea because slippage is an issue even with a cog design, let alone a supercharger

Design a bracket with sprockets and pulleys to reverse rotation - a lot of effort and cost involved there

and finally, use a CCW volute. That seems to be the best option because the only difference I could find between the CW and CCW blowers is the orientation of the volute. If I put a CCW volute on the blower, it would work fine. The fins on the blower are perfectly straight - it's an A-trim - that would work fine in either rotation.

Other options involve actually having the blower facing towards the engine, as it was originally designed to, but I have a hard time visualizing it fitting in to the engine bay of my LS400.

Other options involve actually having the blower facing towards the engine, as it was originally designed to, but I have a hard time visualizing it fitting in to the engine bay of my LS400.

That's what I was referring to, and an LS400 is probably where David's motor was going when he did that alternator. If you changed the fan to electric you could gain some space in front of the motor?

so your saying that the flat side on a serp belt doesn't run smooth pullies, and the ribbed side of the belt doesn't drive the grooved pullies? I thought that if the belt has 2 sides... it's a 2 sided belt..