Help needed with serpentine belt length

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

fruitysupra

Hi guys, its been ages since i have been on here so please bare with me, its been a long day! Today was my photo shoot of my mkiv supra with the 1uz-fe. I had it running during because of battery issue and it got very squeaky before smoking the whole of southend on sea out and snapping the serpentine belt. A clean snap but has left a lot of what looks like burnt rubber from the smooth side of the belt scattered in my bay. Now I need a replacement belt. I can't use standard belt as deleted the air con pump but nor can I find any info on the length I need. Anyone deleted there air con on a v8 and know what the length of the belt is please?
Also any ideas why a belt would burn and snap like this? Belt was fitted two years ago when I did the conversion but today was its first real drive as have only just finished the rest of the car.

Did the engine have a hydraulic fan pump? Are you running it or have you deleted it? We see it all time where the pump seizes as the customer didnt sort it out correctly. Cheers

That's not good. Could you explain further please? I have removed the fan yes as part of the conversion led to using two rad mounted fans instead. Was there some special way of doing this then?

Ok, I have done a search on fan pump and seen a number of threads on people asking about removing it etc. (never thought there was a technical side behind doing it, thought it was a case of just remove and bin it!)
All these threads I have found, ask about it but I cannot find any instruction for it. Can someone please forward me in the right direction. (May be the few beers I've been drinking whiles searching mind!)

The pump needs to be removed completely and then the belt will run from the crank directly to the top idler. I then use a 6PK1560 belt but some people use a 6PK1555 which fits fine too. Just depends on what you can find. Two different units. Basicly take the pully off , undo the pump assemble , strip everything out. One belt goes straight past , other will need some clearance fitted ( grinder). All down. Pully , or pully flange is on a taper so can be tricky to get off. Cheers

Cheers. Can I just confirm with you that when you say run from crank to top idler this is because I do not fit the pump wheel. Also when you say one needs clearance to fit, do you mean one of the different belts? Also what is it that needs grinding.

The pump needs completely removing along with the pully. Belts are only 5mm different so either will work fine. When you pull it apart you should see if there is a clearance issue. Working on the car will make it all make sense rather than tapping keys on the keyboard. Cheers

no that makes perfect sence, thank you. i tried undoing the nut this morning and allit was doing was spinning the pully itself. think this could be fin to try and undo.

Its on a tapered shaft. I use a puller on the vehicle if I want to make a neat job and keep all the parts. On the ground I have a swift blow with a hammer in the right spot sorted to pop the pully off the taper. A grinder through the pully also works but its a one way trip for the parts. Cheers

just measure with string. That's what I did anyway.. then went to the parts store, asked for about that length with the same number of ribs... Don't have the number handy, but easy enough.

thanks but as gloverman said the belt was sorted mid week.
i bought this morning a pulley removal thing and got to say it was utter crap!
after spending an hour trying to get it off i grinded it off in 5 mins with the grinder
FB_IMG_13628251368778891.jpg

then stripped all the bits out and knocked up a little carbon blanking plate with some carbon i had left over
2013-03-09113200.jpg

then 5 seconds to fit new belt.
FB_IMG_1362829212967818.jpg

Simples!

The two pins you have sticking out will come out too. I normally punch them from the back with the whole unit off but a pair of vice grips should move them. They are pretty tight so unlikely to come out by themselves if you leave them there. Its pretty easy once you know what to do. Cheers

Ah ok thanks. When I get some more carbon I may well do that.for now though it will do. However has made me want to get a new fancy crank as it looks a state!

Hi guys..

I ended up making a cover plate too..
Good luck with the project
Cheers Craig

Attachments

• Craigs camera to sort 004.jpg
    Craigs camera to sort 004.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 11
  • Craigs camera to sort 005.jpg
    Craigs camera to sort 005.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 11
Thanks. the car is now finished, in time for the show season which starts next saturday here in the UK.
next winter i will be doing a twin turbo set up on it and changing the color again.