Twin Turbo Race Car Engine

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
Hey Guys,

Found this off ebay and here are the text:
THIS IS A LEXUS 4LTR. TWIN TURBO ENGINE WITH 2 NEW AIRRESEARCH [GARRETT?] HIGHFLOWED TURBOCHARGERS BIG INJECTORS 1000CC's This engine has stock internals but can produce up to 1000hp depending on the boost used. It has an aluminium flywheel.and starter.No ECU or ancilliaries.This engine was built for a race car but has never been run.
BS or Truth? Right now its about $3,700

I have seen that for sale before at least a year ago.
back then it was said to have been built for a speed boat.
Same specs though stock internals etc, not worth anywhere that much though IMHO.
"edit" check the date on the centre pic thats probably when I last saw it for sale.

For sale on Toymods 18mothns ago

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index....7bbd68e863d400d13&pl_view=&start=0#msg_272551

1uz%20twin%20turbo%20large%202.jpg

1uz%20twin%20turbo%20large.jpg

Did you notice the "backfire plate" mounted where the t/b originally entered the plenum. It's mounted with what looks like valve springs on the mounting studs.

Not a bad way to seal and use the old opening.

I think the pipework looks very good and assuming you had room behind the engine for the turbo's it would all be nice on a decent engine.

there is one bad thing that no one seemed to mention or notice. the angle of the turbos. they will not drain very well at that angle. i do infact like the idea of how the original TB opening was blocked. along with backfire releaf, if calibrated correctly it could also serve as an over boost pressure releaf just as a pop-off valve works (and no I dont mean a blow-off valve)

Ah ya, good point about the angle of the drains. Maybe they had some special ideas on how to feed and drian the oil? But yes, this entire setup LOOKS great but it has some design flaws.

Where do you guys think the flywheel came from?

Red Supra said:
Those kind of angles are ok if you plan on going drysump.
the angle of the turbo has nothing to do with the type of oil system (dry or wet sump). the angle will not allow the turbo to drain properly and what makes it even worse is that the turbine side is lower then the rest of the turbo which causes the oil to pool at the back which one cause the oil to more likely cook in that area and two the turbine shaft seal will not hold back pooled oil around it. that is why drain is more important then the feed when it comes to the oil aspect for a turbo. LEX can vouch for this as he knows first hand as to what happens when a turbo is not allowed to drain properly.... a turbo should always be mounted with the shaft as close to being horizontal as possible and the drain port within 15 degrees in either direction of sticking straight down.

"always" is a strong word, what you say is true with most (95-99%) of all standard turbos, but there are some exceptions.

A friend of mine is running an 2.3L turbo engine at 2.6bar (38psi) boost and a vertical turbo mount. http://www.93ssr.com./engine/ The turbo has special seals, bearings, and if my memory doesn´t betrays me, the internal oil system on that turbo is somewhat different to a standard turbo.

it looks awesome, but u guys have a point, unless you put it into a boat running 3 psi your gonna blow that thing up! also it cant be used in a car, geeez look how the turbos and manifolds would hit the driver in the foot lol. It would work sorta in my setup but I'd definately get an intercooler!

Cobolt said:
"always" is a strong word, what you say is true with most (95-99%) of all standard turbos, but there are some exceptions.

A friend of mine is running an 2.3L turbo engine at 2.6bar (38psi) boost and a vertical turbo mount. http://www.93ssr.com./engine/ The turbo has special seals, bearings, and if my memory doesn´t betrays me, the internal oil system on that turbo is somewhat different to a standard turbo.

Cobolt, I checked out the link and found nothing about the vertical mount turbo. The T76 turbo picture is of course not installed. Are you sure it is vertically mounted? I would like more info on this as the only verticall mount turbos I have seen were the aerodyne VAT self contained oil system turbos. Please post any specifics on this situation.

JBrady said:
Cobolt, I checked out the link and found nothing about the vertical mount turbo. The T76 turbo picture is of course not installed. Are you sure it is vertically mounted? I would like more info on this as the only verticall mount turbos I have seen were the aerodyne VAT self contained oil system turbos. Please post any specifics on this situation.
Hmh, you are right, there should be pics... Since me and the constructor of the 9-3ss doesn´t live in the same city, I´ve not actually seen the installation, only talked about it with him and it´s possible that he has chosen a different route without me noticing. The guy is btw the technichan behind the engine tuning of the supercar Koenigsegg which resently demolished McLaren F1 top speed record at the Nardo high speed circuit.

Well the auction ended it it ain't sold.

Strangely enough he was selling some boat parts on eBay I was intrested in but the engine turned me off his stuff.

Small world.