Twin Intake for Twin Turbo

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
Anyone making a twin intake for twin turbo application? I like some of the aftermarket products for the Skyline or Supra. Those intake also made some hp. Having two of them for a twin turbo would be awesome.

Supra Intake:
VEILSIDEMANIFOLD.jpg

2jz_jun.JPG

Skyline:
intake_plenum_skyline1.jpg

nengun-0087-01-trust-greddy-intake_plenum_ecr33.jpg

Please post information on TWIN inlet (I am not interested in single Inlet)

I have one of the GRedddy intakes (the last photo) for my RB30DETT.

With the Nissan RB motors the stock intake has not been a restriction up to ~300kw. Around that point the boost can be increased without producing a significant increase in power. These intakes are good for 500kw+ at the wheels.

Why not just run two plenums designed for 4pots like the 200sx or the MR2, like this plenum:

978.jpg

And then just fab some sort of balancer bar between them. If we know one of those flows well in theory two of those should flow equally well for a V8?

Why the fascination with a twin intake? Using a single plenum ensures even pressure distribution to all cylinders, which makes the car easier to tune. Is this a looks thing or do you actually feel there is a performance benefit?

Why the fascination with a twin intake? Using a single plenum ensures even pressure distribution to all cylinders, which makes the car easier to tune. Is this a looks thing or do you actually feel there is a performance benefit?

Actually looking at the pictures of the twin intake on the Superlite Coupe above, it appears it would be a plumbing issue. It is still a single plenum. Plus if the intake plenum is designed correctly, I doubt you would have uneven distribution especially on a symmetrical intake as pictured on the Superlite Coupe. I would be much more worried with the possibility of uneven distribution on intakes that Lextreme and LondonBenji posted if they were not designed correctly. However, I'm not an ME and could be totally wrong.

Actually looking at the pictures of the twin intake on the Superlite Coupe above, it appears it would be a plumbing issue. It is still a single plenum. Plus if the intake plenum is designed correctly, I doubt you would have uneven distribution especially on a symmetrical intake as pictured on the Superlite Coupe. I would be much more worried with the possibility of uneven distribution on intakes that Lextreme and LondonBenji posted if they were not designed correctly. However, I'm not an ME and could be totally wrong.

Thats a twin throttle body setup, but not actually a twin intake. Obviously they have twin intercoolers and did that to minimize the length of the plumbing, but I thin if I were designing that I would route the pipes rearward and loop them back towards the plenum from the rear and have them both enter in the same direction rather than through the sides - I have to think the collision of two air columns in a directly opposed fashion has to be a little turbulent.

The single TB intakes shown above actually flow very well. We've been screwing around with a new manifold design for the 2ZZ-GE and a D shaped extrusion with a side entry flows VERY well. (which if you think about it is how Toyota builds all their plenums now - center entry on a 4 cylinder or V6 is a thing of the past.

This is a true twin intake system I took some pictures of. Its on the Toyota 7 race car. Notice teh parallel plenums with an end feed and 2 crossover ports to equalize pressure. It has individual throttle bodies, otherwise they would be located at the ends of the plenums where the air charge enters.

DSCN1422.JPG

DSCN1423.JPG

If you welded a plate diagonally across the inlets you would end up with a split plenum.

One bank would feed the front cylinders and the other the rear.

Balance between the two would be achieved by leaving a gap at the ends of the plate.

That looks essentially like how I would have designed it from only reading through stuff on the internet with the exception that I would have only included one balancer bar and perhaps tapered it down towards the furthest cyclinders away from where the throttle boddies would be, it seems like that is apparently a way of equalising pressure to all cyclinders and keeping the flow rate the same, but I could be talking complete bollocks :D

My question is, how would you design a system like the one above which integrates a lumina AtW intercooler in each intake without serverly restricting the internal volume of the intakes or without having to make them rediculously large?

If you would make a twin entry Laminova IC system for that sort of engine and air consumption you would need 3 cores per bank maybe even 4, that would require a pretty large pipe to make the plenum 1 core is 42mm so 3 side by side would mean a BIG pipe and thus quite some displacement

ps what a wonderfull car that is indeed. I especially like the tail pipes, I bet those where hard to make :lmao:

Grtz Thomas

When you say that sort of engine are you refering to the xUZ as well?

If so I guess it would probably be more sensible to go with a big box type plenum that sits on the top of all 8 cylinders like Majooler did...

My question is, how would you design a system like the one above which integrates a lumina AtW intercooler in each intake without serverly restricting the internal volume of the intakes or without having to make them rediculously large?

Adding them before the TB rather than as an integrated part of the manifold would be easiest and keep the compexity down.

Those pics of the toyota 7 are awesome.

Thanks! Its an awsome car. I took the pictures in the Toyota Automotive Museum in Nagoya - its an awsome place. If you are ever in that area I highly reccomend it. I heard the Toyota industrial museum is cool as well but I haven't been to that one yet.

That Toyota is awesome !!! I think that turbine is about 0.95 A/R …. Do you have some information about that car ?? HP? RPM? CC?