Turbo Q45

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Sabre_Logos

Hey guys. I've started work on turboing my 94 Q45. The goal is to make around 420 hp.

2007_0323turboinstall0001.JPG

2007_0323turboinstall0002.JPG

turboinstall1.JPG

More info here:http://turbo-infiniti.org/viewtopic.php?t=70

how will he overheat the engine? the turbo won't block airflow to the radiator. it might block airflow out of the radiator, but...... please specify.

You got Q45....Dude, you are on it with the car builds........ Is that a Q45 you got? Or is that a motor transplant in a Lexus you got going on there? Inquiring minds would like to know.......420rwhp will get the job done...

Attachments

• IMG_0046.JPG
    IMG_0046.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0047.JPG
    IMG_0047.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0052.JPG
    IMG_0052.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 20
Some more info on the setup: The car is a stock 94 Q45 with the VH45DE. I had to modify the engine bay to make space for the turbo, which is a T6 flanged Garrett T-76. I decided to stuff a big turbo in there because I will be increasing displacement in the future.

As far as packaging of the turbo is concerned, the engine bay is tight and I had to get creative. The radiator was replaced with a double-pass unit and the stock viscous fan replaced with an electric one. The battery was moved to the trunk and the oil filter relocated. I also installed an oil cooler and will be running an auxiliary radiator to help with engine temps. On top of that, I have a water/methanol injection setup which should also help in keeping the engine from overheating.

I am still building the hot side piping but everything looks like it should come together nicely. Once it is done, I will wrap the pipes to keep heat in. Yes, Lextreme is correct that the downpipe is very close to the radiator but some ceramic coating and wrap should take care of things. I will also have to put some kind of vent on the hood to let the heat out.

There is also a guy on Turbo-Infiniti.com who is working on a rear-mount turbo for his Q. Two different approaches but both are effective nevertheless.

I was told by coating experts not to do both. Either you coat it or wrap it. You don't want to do both because of the moisture trap and destroy the coating. Even with water injection and so on. The radiator will be too hot to cool the fluid and you will have problems in a hot day with your ac turn on along with boosting.

Good luck!

I like that Q45 motor...A little more juicy then your basic 1uz-fe for sure... The turbo setup should really get the car moving if you can keep the temp down...

Best of luck on your turbo build...Should be nice if you can pull it off...

Don't you love 'experts'...was he trying to sell you something Lex? I have run coating and wrap for years with no probs at all.....how the hell is a bit of moisture going to ruin a high temp ceramic coating? the guy was blowing it out his arse.

can't see you having any heat issues with coating and wrap, you could actually touch my coated/wrapped downpipe with your bare hand. Add the bonnet vent and your additional cooling and you are well clear. Should be a bit of a torque weapon.

Hey Justen,

Where have you been? Long time... I am not trying to be critical but there isnt much space between the DP and the radiator for any good size wrap. At least what I see from the pictures he posted. Secondly, the heat from the header support brackets will also going to heat up the firewall and going to melt the plastic plugs.

This is what I was referring:
turboinstall3.JPG

a T-72? thats huge. i wouldn't be spurised if you had monster lag with that. and even with increased displacement you will have a lot of lag. what is the HP figure you are looking for? 700+?

Hey Lex,
Just lurking around, nothing new on the GT8 lately although my new 8 spot brakes setup just arrived...will post details in appropriate spot.

I had less room for a 3 inch dump pipe on my Carlos Sainz GT4 and the rest of the bay is very heat unfriendly as well. With good planning you can still achieve a nice result and i had the thermal issues pretty well under control.

No doubt Sabre has a challenge on his hands but all looks doable to me for street use. As has been pointed out, that's a mother of a turbo if your goal is only 420hp. Based on Jaffa's big single experirnce though, i think it would still spool up OK and be pretty good on the street. I think 550hp flywheel is more likely without even trying so some work on support systems (injectors, fuel, IC etc) will be needed.

Hey Justen,

Where have you been? Long time... I am not trying to be critical but there isnt much space between the DP and the radiator for any good size wrap. At least what I see from the pictures he posted. Secondly, the heat from the header support brackets will also going to heat up the firewall and going to melt the plastic plugs.

This is what I was referring:
turboinstall3.JPG

Lextreme, you do bring up some good points. The downpipe is a 4 incher that necks down to 3.5 inches. I have about 1 inch on either side of the pipe for heat wrap. I'm thinking of having it coated on the inside and outside, then wrapping it.

The brackets will need some attention. I'm thinking maybe drilling a few holes in them to help dissipate heat and also putting some kind of heat insulator where they bolt to the body.

I'm still working on the Q45 turbo project. It is taking a long time. Here are some more pics at various stages of completion.

I am using modified stock manifolds as the basis for the build. This is the driver's side.
2_2007_0419turboprogress0001_1.jpg

Here's the passenger side manifold in the beginning stage.
2_2007_0419turboprogress0003_1.jpg

This is the pipe that will carry the exhaust from both banks to the rear of the transmission, from there the flow heads to the front of the engine bay to the turbo.
2_turbo_pipe_1.jpg

Here's the pipe after completion.
2_2007_0503turboprogress30001_1.jpg

Here's the rest of the piping heading to the turbo.
2_2007_0506turboprogress0003_1.jpg

This is the spot where the oil drains back into the pan.
2_2007_0503turboprogress30003_1.jpg

Here are the stock manifolds after modification.
2_2007_0515hotside0002_1.jpg

Some more pics:

Here are all the pipes for the pre-turbo hot side. I painted them in BBQ paint, wrapped them, painted the wrap, wrapped the wrap with aluminum foil tape and then painted everything with the high temp BBQ paint. All the pre-turbo piping is .065 stainless so it should survive with my experimental wrapping. Hopefully. :)

2_2007_0515hotside0001_1.jpg

And this is where I am at present. Still a while to go as you can see.
2_2007_0524Turboinstall0003_1.jpg

I will move the MAF over to the left some more so I can get a piece of straight pipe after it.
2_2007_0524Turboinstall0005_1.jpg

Here's the car that the work is being done on.
rotmjune1.jpg