Tube size and Wall thickness for Roll Cages

Is hot rolled tube ok for building a cage?

• Sure, as long as the wall thickness is right

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No way, you must use DOM.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

sniper

Super Moderator
Hey guys, I just wanted to pick some brains on tube size and wall thickness when building a roll cage. To keep things simple, lets say all the material is HOT ROLLED, it does have a welded seam. There for, it is NOT DOM tube. S&W Race Cars makes their cages out of 1-5/8 .134 wall tube. What if the tube size goes up to say 1-3/4? should you still use .134 wall or could you knock it down to .120? What about 2" tube? My next question is, is using hot rolled tube a stupid idea for a cage? Is making the cage out of DOM absolutly mandatory?

If you are caging for racing...consult the handbooks for class limitations.

Otherwise...a cage is better than no cage, right? You probably wont be cutting the **** outta the chassis...so to speak.

What it comes down to is how much of a cage it will be. Yeah, larger stock canbe used with fewer members. Then again smaller/thinner stock can be used with many more members.

I will eventually be caging my Celica. I am probably going to use 1.5 OD .120 wall DOM or mild hot rolled. It is NOT going to be a racecar.

I have mild steel 32mm steam pipe..
Check rules and regs with local authorities for road use..
Some don't have X bracing, but to me it's much stronger
having one.. Up to 9.9 1/4 the rules are fairly casual..
Check here..
http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=128059.0
Some good info..
Often to weld the top connections, you have to lower bar through floor for complete access, then box the floor strengthening it..

Otherwise...a cage is better than no cage, right? You probably wont be cutting the **** outta the chassis...so to speak.
I disagree, an improperly built cage could severly hurt you and the othe occupants. I would only build a cage out of DOM or Cromoly. Consult Score racing requirements for proper tube size for the wieght of your vehicle. Also if improperly bent or welded, your cage will be weak and could hurt you. Welds must bind both the tubes together 360 degrees and use triangles as much as possible. Just my .02

As a welder/fabricator, if it was my car I would only use tube. The seam is a weakness regardless of wall thickness. In my line of work I have seen too many pipe jobs destroyed easy by forklifts, trucks and just wear and tear to trust one as a rollcage.