"Top Secret" style intake manifold

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

JDMfantasy

We'll be building a custom intake manifold for our twin turbo 1uZ, and have an extra stock manifold to build another one.
I'm wondering if any other turbocharged 1UZ owners would be interested in something similar.

The manifold on our motor will use two throttle bodies (one for each turbo), but were thinking about building another manifold which comes together at the front and uses a single throttle body.

It would look similar to the manifold used on Top Secret's 350Z

http://www.superstreetonline.com/featuredvehicles/130_0406_350z/

No pics of this intake so far, just of other intake manifolds we've made.

As were just doing this for fun, would everyone be more interested in seeing a dual or single TB set up?

Anyways, perhaps we'll have some pics for everyone tomorrow.

a twin thottle body aet up has been discussed over many a cold beer in my circle. general thought is that with two manifolds, a large bandsaw, a talented tig operater, and some luck you would be able to achieve this. i guess we wont know until its tried.

We have the the two plenums mounted, with a slight turndown at the end where each TB will be placed. We originally planned to use 2 mk3 supra TB's as we have about 30 laying around, but they just look too cluttered and ugly sitting at the front of the two plenums. So at this point the TB's are still up in the air. I'll see if I can get some pics up tonight. Sorry for the wait to all those interested.

oldskool said:
a twin thottle body aet up has been discussed over many a cold beer in my circle. general thought is that with two manifolds, a large bandsaw, a talented tig operater, and some luck you would be able to achieve this. i guess we wont know until its tried.
Its not as simple as that, and if you did it that way, it would look absolutely awful.

But if you do it properly, it looks good, and works very well.

http://www.conceptual.net.au/~peewee/eng_conv_2/twintake_2.jpg

Actually, the way oldskool describes it is not very far off from what we did (minus the 2 stock manifolds), and I must say I think it will turn out very nice.

We used two 3.5" aluminum tubes at 15.5", with a slight turndown at the front.
We will most likely flange it for Accufab TB's as they're very common and come in virtually any size. They will be syncronized by a tie bar running underneath the plenums.

You'll see what I mean once I post the pics up.

peewee

your photo actually showed what i was intending to do. the only question with a set up like that did you use a baffle plate in the centre of the plenuim? Some i have spoken to reckon that it would beifit flow with a turbo setup but on NA it would hinder flow. how did you set yours up?

A few pics so far....
P5230036-copy.jpg

P5230037-copy.jpg

P5230038-copy.jpg

How do you plan to optimise the airflow into the old manifold runners.

Are you machining "bellmouths" into the old runners to give some progression for the air to turn into the runner.

You're asking the air to turn 90degrees in a very small area. Plus the way the runners are they have a sharp edge for the air to flow around that will cause turbulence.

I think bigger pipe would give more turning room and hence more airflow into the engine.

The openings will be radiused out in a bellmouth, but no velocity stacks on this manifold. Its basically the same as the 2JZ manifolds we make, just two of them side by side. Haven't had any problems with those, just a nice increase in top end power.

It will look similar to this, only two of them, once its done.
P3200004-copy.jpg

Heres basically how its set up. The openings are opened up and then sanded smooth (this one has a ways to go yet).
P2130001-copy.jpg

would this same twin TB setup, with these plenums your making work with a NA setup, looks real good is all

and do you know if this setup will work with the stock ecu? just a twin throttle body setup, with this manifold

Both TB's will be linked by a crossbar, so the throttle cable will only need to run to one of the TB's. This way, you'll only need to use one TPS on one of the TB's. I wouldn't see a problem with using the stock ECU. It would be like using a much larger single TB, only theres 2 smaller ones. Of course some sort of S-AFC to add air would be recommended as you could probably guess.