Titanium Rods in a GM production engine

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Hey Cobolt, you don't have to convince me about these LSx motors... I was just saying the 2jz's aren't too shabby either...

What I would like to know is what is the maximum power output each motor can approximately handle in stock form...

What I know - Approx. figures...

1uz-fe (92-94) - 500whp

1uz-fe (94 and up) - 350whp

2uz-fe - 330whp

3uz-fe - 350whp (not really sure??)

LS1 - ?

LS7 - ?

2jz - 1500whp maybe ?

Can anyone help me with these numbers...Again these are the best numbers I have seen on these motors and if someone knows something I don't - please add or correct... This makes for good forum knowledge...

ive seen the ls1's do about in the 650s, with a conservative tune--and last a while--but eventually need a build..
the 2jz's ive seen stock-last well upto about 900-950--but anything over usually require some better rods,pistons..
and yes--cubic inces are tough to beat..

I've seen a stock 2jz put out 1450whp on a massive turbo and nitrous run system if you can believe that... A 250 nitrous shot was needed to spool up the massive turbo... Insane setup....The guys name is Joel Trasman and has won competitions in his 1993 Supra and lives here in the States (California)...He claims it to be a stock internal 2jz.. too...

LS1 motor I've seen put out 600whp but I had thought they can do a little more on the stock internals...

Chrisman - I think your right on with the LS1, but the 2jz's can handle alot more then you stated...

Attachments

• scotts ute 001.jpg
    scotts ute 001.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 9
  • scotts ute 002.jpg
    scotts ute 002.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 4
  • scotts ute 003.jpg
    scotts ute 003.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 6
  • scotts ute 004.jpg
    scotts ute 004.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 4
For a coupla show pony dyno runs jibbby, i could get my UZ lying down waaay more than 500rwhp...has already done 540rwhp and did it easy.

By the time the 2J spooled up i'd be long gone ;)

Long term reliability i know is good in an early UZ around 450rwhp...could be more but not exactly easy to use this much grunt on the street on a daily basis and keep your licence so i can't say for sure. My engine has been going strong now for 4 years of boost (on top of orig 80,000km) and never less than 265rwkw, mostly 320rwkw and now just over 400rwkw.

Weaker rods in the newer model 1uz.. motors.... Search - 1uzfe rods, don't take my word for it, see for yourself..
I know they're a little thinner, but I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that it can't do more than 350whp, that's ridiculous!

people with VVT 1UZs have done more than that on the stock bottom end and the VVT 1UZs have even weaker rods

There must be some UZ's out there with upgraded rods and pistons?
Mine is being put together now....
Its the block strength that worries me!!! Hope to up around 600 or so rwhp...

the 1uz block will be fine--early head gaskets are iffy- and even the early rods start getting goffy over 500hp but the engine will probably be fine..
i also have seen a local 2jz going making 1200-no nitrous--that maxed the dyno--so it was useless to dyno again.. the car was put on a trailer and taken to texas.. but that 2jz was biult,pistons,rods,"headstuds",cams,etc..
it takes an expensive/oversize headstud to keep the head down at1200+ hp.. i dont think stock parts are anywhwere near good enough at those levels..
but anywhere upto 900 hp the 2jz has shown great durability--this is just my opinion--everyone should feel free to agree or disagree..

I know they're a little thinner, but I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that it can't do more than 350whp, that's ridiculous!

people with VVT 1UZs have done more than that on the stock bottom end and the VVT 1UZs have even weaker rods

Bro, I wish I could tell you different, but I have seen engine destruction on one of the newer 1uz-fe motors and two of the 2uz-fe motors all right around 350-400whp mark...On the three motors it was the rods that appeared to give way and destroyed the blocks as well...It is what it is... I was skeptic too and researched the hell out of it not too long ago...

Maybe that was a bad tune on that one later model 1uz-fe motor, I don't know, but the rods are weaker for sure on later model 1uzfe motors and that is fact... I could not find a blown 92-94 1uz-fe motor and I looked everywhere on like 4 different forums...Nada, I found one guy was pushing 500whp on his 92 1uz...I also know I am running 500+ torque through mine for years now....

Maybe you can squeeze more power out of the newer 1uz's, I only found one example...why don't you try?

I don't see anyone jumping in this thread to say or witness different.... I would love to be wrong and be corrected but I don't think so...

Well, I was thinking that if/when my 1UZ gives up the ghost I can swap in one of those nice cheap $400 JDM 1st generation 1UZs with the thicker rods, so I'm not going to make that much of a fuss about it.

Heaps !! Top fuel, funny cars and door slammers run way more power than that !! In most cases they are alloy rods and replaced or looked at after each run....

And thats the key, being looked at/replaced after each run.... but are there any rods out there that can take that kind of power and yet don't have to be looked at so often?

:nana: Lextreme's titanium diamon based rods handle twice that much power easily...

Seriously, I've seen some very stout hardened steel and titanium rods but I don't think either can handle 2500bhp over a long period of time..That is sick stress...

All the high power engines or atleast Detroit type drag engines I have seen have alloy rods.. They are softer yet strong and absorb the tough harmonics... Alloy not meaning aluminium...
Short stroke engines as in F1 would be lightweight alloy as light as possible to last a 2 hour race... Any stronger ?? They are regarded as being too heavy...Same with the rest of rotating assembly...
Cannot really compare a race engine with road engine...
In most cases more than 600 rwhp is almost undrivable on our slippery roads anyway...

And thats the key, being looked at/replaced after each run.... but are there any rods out there that can take that kind of power and yet don't have to be looked at so often?

Certainly not stock rods in a 2JZ beeing pounded with 1450rwhp... ;)

2500hp is in the grey-zone, a really well built engine would still need to be rebuilt quite fast at those powerlevels, the rods should survive at least 50 2500hp runs at the dragstrip with a really conservative margin to failure. If you "only" used 1500hp, the life expectancy would be far greater. I know of ppl using such rods for their roadcars and they change about every two years or so depending on usage @ about 1000 crank hp.

Keep in mind MOST these engines with this power level don't run for long...If they run a sub 7 second pass? Being that rpm is over 60 seconds = 1 minute.. That means in total the engine never gets to run for a minute.. Like top fuelers only turn 800 or so revs over the 1/4 in total...Even if they pull 9,000 rpm.....