Supra Vs SC400

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
One of my favorite car jokes goes something like, "What do 500bhp, 700bhp & 900bhp Supra's all have in common? They all run 12s!".
LoL!

We all know Dynojets are optimistic, and can be "corrected" to give nearly any numbers you want, whereas tracks are brutally realistic, and driver skill has lots to do with turning a good time.

If a 3500 lb Supra is truly making 900 ponies at the wheels, it's going to be in the 9's, assuming the nut behind the wheel can drive it, and can get the sucker launched and down the strip without falling on his face. The Titan and BoostLogic cars are prime examples of cars that produce big numbers on the dyno, then go out and back them up with impressive numbers at the track too. There's lots more, but those are the ones that come to mind.

The reality is that any Supra with a 6spd, making over 600 RWHP, is a handful to launch, and most owners really aren't gifted drag racers, so they go out to the track, and get their *sses handed to them by well tweaked Civics.

Supras were never intended to be drag racers; the fact that they're so successful on the strip is a testament to the 2JZ-GTE, and how versatile the JZA80 platform is.

Where these cars shine is on a "real" race track where you have to turn the wheel once in awhile, (and not just to the left!).

Sounds like Porsche's and Supra's have alot in common...Great on the track but not on the strip....

I would think Porsche would have more to offer on the straight tracks as the engines are mounted in the rear which should create fantastic rear traction because of the more then 60% rear end weight...For some reason that is not the case especially in the early model 911 turbo's.... However, they grip on turns like crazy... It is my understanding with engines that are mounted in the rear when the car loses it, the results are very unforgiving in comparison to the front weighted vehicles like the Supra's and Lexus's... Slow into corners and power out gripping is the rule of thumb...Power into corners with the Porsches and the rears have a tendency to want to continue to run straight forward while you turn the wheel..

My bud is a mechanic at the Porchse dealership and loves to tell me stories of older and newer Porchse's...

geez, don't know about 900bhp supra's doing 12's..... must be croddy drivers... that and stupid dynojet readings.

Just about all the guys here in au with anything over 380kw atw run 10's... some with alot less... mind you, all on Dyno Dynamics (which is far more accurate)....

The stereotype must really suck there.

there are plenty of vids on the net to prove that the supra is capable of quick times.... but because of tf&tf, people seem to think it ok to hate on the supra... even with lame jokes about hp and et's.... haha.

Anyhow, you spend the extra dollars on the supra and you have better equipment to start with (lighter and tighter body, better suspension and brakes, and gb if you go the 6spd).... all works out better if you're going to have to upgrade the sc anyways.

What's better is that guy in the video ran a 9.54 @ 148mph on a completely stock bottom end, with only cams, mild porting, and a 71mm turbo.

Supra's are fast.
At the end of the day, domestics running solid rear axles are still faster. :happysad:

I wonder why solid rear axles perform so much better then the independant Toy. Axles? You would think the independant Lex/Toy suspension would allow the tires to grip the ground variations better then a solid straight axle......Go figure......Hmmmmmm.????:dunno:

PS..That Supra in video absolutely hauled arse!!!!! You could see how the back end of the car dropped and gripped at launch and with every gear shift....Sick.....

I wonder why solid rear axles perform so much better then the independant Toy. Axles? You would think the independant Lex/Toy suspension would allow the tires to grip the ground variations better then a solid straight axle......Go figure......Hmmmmmm.????

Most independent rears are designed to change camber to negative as it is loaded for better cornering. You lose some tire contact patch on launching in a straight line because the tires pitch out during the weight transfer as it squats.

That makes perfect sense to me...So as the car launches the two rears flare out when the cars back end drops which positions the rears almost on edge creating less tire surface to grip the road....

Thanks for the info. never thought of that effect....

defenetly the SC400

1- Not the young ricer yo-man look (the supra lost it's prestige with TF&TF)

2- Sleeper look

3- Comfort ride and mechanic is the same as a supra N/A (steering, brakes etc...)

4- LOWER COST!!! and not only 1-2k !!!

5- Well built SC body will look a lot nicer to me (check for light body kits on a dropped SC400, don't tell me they are not sexy!!!!!!!

6- you don't have a very very fast toyota, but you have a very very fast LEXUS, people don't think fast lexus exist, while anybody knows that a supra can and probably will be faster than it's car.

7- SC400 comes with a V8, still that prestige thing (I do care about it )

8- There's a LOT of parts for the SC400. (here's where your saved money goes)

9- insurance

10- There won't be a gang of yo-man chill that will try to steal your car everynight.

11- you'll probably have the fastest SC400 V8 in the world.

etc etc etc...

The V8 sound belongs to the SC, the JZ sound belongs to the supra. But it's only my opinion.

Sc's has the luxury aspects over the Supra's for sure...

A sleek Supra may have it on looks over the SC's...

The Supra's may also have it on the performance side of things in mostly all cases... In addition, the drivetrain and mostly all the moving parts are superior on the Supra's...

Price and luxury should be the major considerations...

only in the US where you guys got socked for opting with the SC....

In japan, the supra was more expensive.... probably because at the time, Lexus didn't exist as a brand there, haha.

Back to the topic:

Let me put the pros and cons for both cars:

Supra Pros:
1. Very Handsome
2. Unique
3. Wow factor
4. Great after market support
5. Handles better (due to greater aftermarket parts)
6. Easier to convert to manual (Supra comes in auto or manual)
7. Might be faster due to lighter body then SC400 or better gear ratio
8. Proven upgrades tract record
9. More sporty or bad ass look
10. Can attend both Supra meets/race and Lexus activities

Supra Cons:
1. 6-8k higher then SC400
2. Higher Insurance
3. Higher chance being stolen.
4. Harder and cost more to replace body parts (due to low number of production)
5. Civic want to race you at every redlight
6. Too much attention (getting too old for this)

Supra cons when compared to SC4...

Smaller interior room then the SC4...
Less leg room if I remember correctly..
Exhaust noise is deeper and nicer in an SC4 when modified..
More torque in an SC4 when modified..
Stereo has superior sound in an SC4..

Supra perks -

Got to give the all around braking power to the Supra TT's...
A clean Supra will hold a longer resale value over a clean SC4....

I think the best solution is to have two. One of each....LOL.. I found this place www.readytofix.com and they have lots of stolen or water damaged Supras. Get one with blown engine and replace it with a built 2JZ. It would be alot cheaper. Anyone is a member of this site above?