Project Thread Supercharged Supra

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
I have kinda been waiting for you to do yours, and inspire me to hit mine up. So your not just holding yourself up, you are also holding me up! COME ON! :p

As soon as I looked at the photo I though the belt may suffer "orbiting" between the A/c and the supercharger.

I'd certainly be adding another idler.

It won't cost much power and you're going to have power to burn.

Voila, one more idler pulley added to the mix:

IMG_2764Custom.jpg

Also, lo & behold, the first pigtail for the harness. This is a coil pigtail as I had a couple spare I could play with. Regretfully I had to abandon the idea of using SS braided teflon hose because of its bend radius. There are several pigtails that required a bend radius of less than an inch, and the various teflon hoses that I sourced would either kink, or they'd be under too much tension once installed that I was sure something would be damaged once the wiring was done and the normal running vibration did its thing. This stuff is silicone tubing, which is good for 400 degrees and does not kink, no matter what you do to it:

IMG_2767Custom.jpg

And it fits. That piece of flatbar above the conduit is an alignment fixture I made to help me measure each pigtail to ensure their heights would all be the same. One down and 34 more to go, but they should go a little quicker now. :D

IMG_2766Custom.jpg

Last edited:
That extra idler will improve the reliability of the drive.

I drop by this thread every week to see how your engine is progressing.

I will say you are very precise in all your endevous.

The Ferrari makes a nice ""backdrop for your photos!

Keep at it.

Ive got to be the luckiest Ferrari owner who ever lived.

I've owned 3 over the years and none of them was drivable so I never had one break down on me!

Brought them damaged, repaired them (or just tidied them up) and sold them for a profit.

I would be the only Ferrari owner I know (and I've known several hundred) who have made money on them.

Ive got to be the luckiest Ferrari owner who ever lived.

I've owned 3 over the years and none of them was drivable so I never had one break down on me!

Brought them damaged, repaired them (or just tidied them up) and sold them for a profit.

I would be the only Ferrari owner I know (and I've known several hundred) who have made money on them.

Wow... nice work! That said "lucky" may not be the right term... more like most unusual! I don't think I could avoid driving any special car given the choice. Most lucky is going to have to go to someone who destroyed the Ferrari they owned and no one was injured. Followed by the Lottery winner who is now an owner... or since "ever lived" is included in the description... someone who inherited a "lost" one of a kind F car.

So John... when is the dyno appointment?
I am guessing you will likely drive the Maranello?
Give me a chance to check out both your engine work and daily D.

How about some quick member specific F car eye candy for the galley?

Great photo here:

Ferrari-550%20Maranello.jpg

F1 form:

p3985-Maranello_Italy-F1_V10_Engine.jpg

Mecca to some:

factory_prefRes.jpg

Next Cribb project:

garagesaurus-ferrari550maranello.jpg

http://luxuryvice.com/blog/2009/01/09/ferrari-turbo/

Last edited:
John, no dyno date just yet. Assuming I do get the mockup done when I'm home next time, I'll bring the "real" motor home from Dennis' shop & transfer everything onto it. I'll then wait for cooler weather to arrive for the dyno - probably looking at Novemberish or later.

Yes, I'll definitely be driving the Maranello over, so you'll be able to check it out. Dennis hasn't seen it yet either, and he's been bugging me to bring it over.

That's a great pic of the Maranello; they really are beautiful when they've been lowered just a bit and have the right wheels.

Haven't posted anything useful in awhile because I've been stymied trying to get this cogged belt drive sorted out. The cogged pullies are well sorted, however I've had a devil of a time finding idler pulleys that could handle a 40mm wide belt, and also had guards (fences) on them to keep the belt centered.

In the end, I've decided to go with a 35mm belt in lieu of the 40, and found a supplier for them in the UK who didn't want a king's ransom. The only supplier I could find here in the US wanted a minimum order of 21 and gave me a 12 week lead time. The UK boys had the belt made and shipped in two days. Tough to buy US with competition like that.......

After deciding on the 35mm belt, there were a number of idler pulley choices that had flanges, so I decided on a pair of Gates T42113 pulleys, with spacer/reducers from Gates 36269 pulleys. These spacer/reducers are well made, machined steel pieces and take the pulleys' 17mm ID's down to nearly 10mm, which matches one of the mounts very well. The other mount is only an 8mm, but I've made some bushings to reinforce it and hope it'll take the side load without any problems - it's not really a severe side load like the other one.

So next time home it'll be test fitting the belt, and finishing the harness and it'll all be ready to transfer over to the real engine. Who knows, we may be on the engine dyno this year after all! (probably more like early next)

Attachments

• IMG_3009 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_3009 (Custom).JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3008 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_3008 (Custom).JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 37
At least you will be able to enter the vintage category of the car shows when she's all done. Do we run a book again on estimated FWHP?

Love Ya work John, keep us posted.

looking tough mate....just get it running :) blo0dy engineers ;)

Yea Justen, sometimes being an engineer does limit the options that I consider......although I've definitely considered setting the dam thing on fire many times! But it's really getting there now; I gotta admit I've been hung up on this belt drive system in general, and these idlers in particular, for waayyy too long.

At least you will be able to enter the vintage category of the car shows when she's all done. Do we run a book again on estimated FWHP?

Love Ya work John, keep us posted.

Hahaha Andy by that time, I'll be too old and decrepit to drive the car, but I'll show it to my great-grandkids and tell them it's what we used to have fun doing before there was texting, video games, and FaceBook, and when there was still something called gasoline. As if they'll be interested - in 20 years they'll just look up from their i-whatevers, give me that lost deer in the headlights look and say "but why would you want to break the law and go fast? Big Brother would punish you......"

On the power, let's start the betting at 500 RWHP. Unfortunately, at the moment I have only a 40 tooth supercharger pulley being driven by my 60 tooth crank pulley. I wanted to find at least a 35 tooth, if not smaller, but it just wasn't to be. So for its maiden run under pressure the engine should have a pretty easy time of it. (And this is still the Opcon-Autorotor 2.2 liter 'charger)

Cams are Kelford's L74 grinds with 9.5mm net lift, and 262/270 advertised duration. No overlap - the intakes open 3.5 degrees ATDC, and we'll initially try them straight up on their lobe centers, so she'll have pretty high dynamic compression. (note to self - make sure the M/W comes in early.....)

I'd love to see this nice engine at a Sema show. It'll get a lot of head turners with "wow". :D Can't wait to see it in the car.

Steve, by the time this thing is finished, they'll probably just look at it and wonder what it is, and where the power outlet is located to plug it in :) But thanks for the compliment mate :)

Last edited:
New 35mm wide belt came in & fits perfectly. These guys in the UK gave great service:

http://www.beltingonline.com/8mm-htd-timing-belts-4576

Ordered the belt on the 28th of October, and it apparently turned up here in Houston on the 2nd of November. I've had things take a lot longer than that just shipping across the US.

Now I've got to get a wider pulley made for the hydro pump idler replacement, then the drive system will be done.

Next step is focusing on the harness.

Attachments

• IMG_3040 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_3040 (Custom).JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 26
pulley should be easy enough!

Brandon, since you're the guy with the machine shop, that sounds like an offer :) Wanna build it?

I figure it could be done two ways:

1. Start with 3 1/2" ID ally tubing, with OD of 4 1/2". Use a cylinder hone to increase the ID to 3 9/16, then precision cut/grind it to 1.41" long, ensuring it's cut squarely. Then grind a round 4 1/2" OD x 1/2" thick plate perfectly flat on one side then weld (from the inside of the tube) it to the tubing.

Then drill the centering & mounting holes in the end plate, and chuck it in a lathe and turn down the middle part of the exterior 1/4" to make the end flanges, plus take any out-of-roundness out of it.

2. Instead of tubing, start with 4 1/2" OD solid round billet and machine out the interior up to within 1/2" of one end. Turn down the exterior as above

Here's a sketch of what I want, assuming we start with the 3 1/2" ID tubing:

Attachments

• Hydro pump idler (Custom).jpg
    Hydro pump idler (Custom).jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 22
looks easy enough, but I'd definately make it a one piece deal. Probably try to turn everything at once to ensure everything is concentric. What kind of timeline are you looking at? I just need to make sure I can squeeze this in : )