Started a Miata swap!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

andris

Hello everyone. I recently acquired an LS400 drivetrain (thanks for the tip Lex) and have begun swapping it into a Miata. I have started writing about it over at the Miata forums and have a few pics of the progress thus far.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=161966

I'm in need of some SC400 parts if anyone has stuff laying around: Oil pickup tube, oil filter housing/mount thing, dipstick and tube.

comments? enjoy!

andris

Anaema said:
i didnt know you could even fit a V8 in that little car. itll be a demon,
People have been doing Ford V8 swaps in Miatas for a while now...

Attachments

• fatty1.JPG
    fatty1.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 2
  • fatty2.JPG
    fatty2.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 2
  • fatty1uzfe-tt.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 2
a ford V8? waht - i hope you mean the boss quad cam and not the lumps people call windsors...

in an MX5?

if you want a convertible with a "stock block" V8, buy a Cobra. don't mess up handling perfection with a bloody 4.9 ford!

Great! Thanks for posting those. That is almost exactly how I was going to do my sump.

andris

Maybe you should have a chat to Bullet here in Brisbane to see how they do it , they might even sell you a kit , sump mounts the whole lot !!

Then it would just be a bolt in job , how easy would that be ?

Anaema said:
why not run a dry sup system?
They are very expensive and add weight and complexity.

Bullet has a tubed front end, so it is unlikely that anything they sell is applicable to what v8mx5 or I are doing.

andris

Lexus Engine Miata Swap

Andris,

I am so impressed with the work you are doing in that Lexus-Miata swap. The quality of work is really nice.

Could you please list what equipment was on the engine or not on the engine when weighed it and found it to be 405 lbs?

starter?
Alternator?
powersteering pump?
flex plate?
harmonic ballancer?
belt?
tensioner?
exhaust manifolds?
wiring harness?
ECU?
Water pump?
Engine mounts?
Anything else that is on or off the engine?

Did you weigh the Miata engine with the same accessories?

It is common to find engine weights on the web, but not what is on the engine at the time that it is weighed. Maybe you have another picture o the front of the engine when being weighed.

What is your overall weight goal for the car?

There is quite a bit of info in a few threads over on Miata.net if you search under my username. As for engine weight, i believe there is a pic in my gallery of the engine being weighed:

http://picasaweb.google.com/alaivins/Miata/photo#4978380341029240850

I believe it was missing the flexplate, exhaust manifolds, and lower steel oilpan. The only accessory I am running is the alternator, and you can see the intake manifold, wiring harness, etc. are on the engine. I weighed the car complete recently and it was just under 2500lbs with a full tank and 2 tops on the car. I fully expect it to get a bit lighter. There is more detailed info on the weight over at Miata.net.

Andris