Speedometer Swap on 1989/90 Celsior

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

VSG12777

Hi everyone. My name is Venkat and I am from Melbourne, Australia. I joined this forum just today. I am a fulltime student here and I am looking forward to buying my 1st car soon.

I plan to get a 1989/90 model Celsior C-type F-package model, which is the top of the line one (with the rear massaging seats etc).

I saw a Celsior today and it appears to have a 180kmph speedometer since it was a Japanese market model - most Japanese market models have a 180kmph speedometer and I have observed this.

Since the Celsior and LS400 are essentially the same car and the Australian 1990 LS400 has a 260kmph speedometer, is it possible to install the LS400's speedometer in the Celsior ? If so, where can I have this done and approximately how much would it cost ?

Is it alright to have a normal garage/service station do it for me instead of going to a Lexus dealership, where I may be ripped off ?

I look forward to any help on this !! Thanks !!:veryhappy

Regards,
Venkat

well... you might be able to do this, there are only a few things to consider.

1.) you will have to replace the whole spedo/tach/ect combination cluster
2.) this means odometer too, it will be better to swap it with one that has the same amount of miles/kilometers on the clock
3.) the donor car will probably have to have the same amount of options, at least the ones that show up on the cluster, im not 100% sure on this though, im just saying to be on the safe side. you wont want to buy a cluster and have the plugs be different.

if your really tech savy you could disasember the cluster, and replace the face of the cluster with the one you want, 260 kph one (once cluster is apart its easy to take out), and probably the spedo needle as well from the 260 kph cluster.

Hopefully someone else can chime in on this and give you absolute answers.

Nick

being a *** import car alot of people wont touch it
what if they gfet half way htru the job and get complications

what if the speedo is inaccurate might cost more and more

if yr a student are u will to spend over 500 bucks for the job

another thing is y the f**k do u want to go over 180 especially in melbourne

or is it just for wank value

sideshow said:
being a *** import car alot of people wont touch it
what if they gfet half way htru the job and get complications

what if the speedo is inaccurate might cost more and more

if yr a student are u will to spend over 500 bucks for the job

another thing is y the fuk do u want to go over 180 especially in melbourne

or is it just for wank value

Well i removed my cluster, disasembled it, and fixed my tachometer, and reinstalled it all in around 40 minutes. I hope he wouldnt spend 500$. Becuase to replace the stuff would be even quicker. If the speedo is inaccurate then you just put back in your old one, and vuala, back to normal. My guess for him wanting the higher kph is for the look. Ill let him answer that one.

I just thought of another thing, you could probebly send your unit into lextech (i believe thats their name) or somewhere, have them make the lighting all cool and replace the stuff you want, that is if you dont want to replace it yourself.

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for your replies to my question. I really appreciate it. However, Lextech is in the USA (I had a look at their website yesterday) so it is expensive if I have to remove the whole speedo console and send it to them. Shipping costs will be quite high.

Also, yes; the 180kmph speedo makes it seem like you're going really fast when you do 100 or 110kmph here (as this is the limit on the freeways mostly). This is mainly because 110 is quite close to 180 on the speedo. The Aussie LS400s came with a 260kmph speedo, so 110 on these looks really slow. This is the only reason. Nothing else.

Of course, I know the Celsior is so quiet that you aren't gonna feel the speed at 110kmph anyway - with such a quiet interior and such a smooth award-winning 4 litre quad cam V8 !!

Any other suggestions on this ?? Or do you think I'd be better off leaving the cluster as it is ??

This is one reason why I prefer the Crown V8 - it has a digital dash !!