Ready to Spend 4K. Please Help!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

GX470

Hello, Im fairly new here,

I have an 03 GX470 and im ready for more power. I have 4K to spend on the 2UZ!

My plan was for a M112 Charger + Lextreme Rods + Doug Thorley Headers (If i can fit them) + Intake + Exhaust + ECU + Tune.

I want it to look clean and be reliable as this is my only car.

Run at 10psi maybe more if internals hold up.

What do you guys think? What whould you do to the 2UZ with 4K?

Will the drive line hold up to all that power? This is full time 4WD with center diff lock!

Please let me know what you think!

TRD make a charger for your engine. A set of cams would be good, but I dont think ur 4k will go very far if you decided to take the motor out.

Its near impossible to get your on a TRD 4.7 SC

I would have done that a long time ago if i could actually find one somewhere.

What about M112... shouldn't that fit okay in place of the TRD?

LEX..... Please help me out....

-Alex

The TRD blower will same a lot of time. Yes they are rare but it has it's intake manifold built in so that saves you $1500 compared to the M112. It's a bolt on affair minus your fuel solution which could be solved with an easy fuel pressure regulator. The stock fuel system will handle a low boost M90 just fine.

One thing to remember is the TRD blower for the 4.7L is based on the M90 unit, which is smaller than the M112 but perfect for anything under 9psi.

The only thing holding your motor back from high hp is the rods. They can handle around 6psi safely. With this in mind the TRD blower or an M90/manifold will fit your budget/circumstances best.

I think for $2000 you can be supercharged (TRD blower + FMU). The other 2 grand will most likely go into engine work to make any higher HP attainable.

On the other hand,

You can buy a used "centrifugal" supercharger for $500-$1000 and be up and running for $2000 or less.

They make good power, low heat, very reliable, easy on drivetrain.

All you need is:

1. bracket for supercharger (sold by lex) $150ish
2. used blower $1000
3.FMU $200
4.Bypass valve $75
5. Oil lines (depending on make) $50
6. Longer serp. belt $40
7. Misc. bolts, idler pulley $50
8. Intercooler (optional at low psi) $400

Only downside is that this setup will yield high RPM power, with "some" added power down low.

On the other hand,

You can buy a used "centrifugal" supercharger for $500-$1000 and be up and running for $2000 or less.

They make good power, low heat, very reliable, easy on drivetrain.

All you need is:

1. bracket for supercharger (sold by lex) $150ish
2. used blower $1000
3.FMU $200
4.Bypass valve $75
5. Oil lines (depending on make) $50
6. Longer serp. belt $40
7. Misc. bolts, idler pulley $50
8. Intercooler (optional at low psi) $400

Only downside is that this setup will yield high RPM power, with "some" added power down low.
Or in my case:
1) bracket, yeah, let's go with the $150
2) blower, $775 used
3) no bpv
4) oil lines and stuff - considering everything used, came out to about $75
5) idler pulley, $30
6) 108" belt, $30
7) bolts, hydraulic fittings and such, $50
8) no IC
9) boost gauge, plumbing for boost gauge, and such - $20
10) vortech 12:1 FMU, $80 used
11) Blower pulley, $28 from eBay
12) battery relocation setup, about $50
13) charge pipes, about $80
14) air filter for blower, $25

plus a couple hours for labor ;)

I think thermactor holds the current crown for hp/dollar invested :)

So far the Centri type blowers are top dog for ease of installation and price.
I'm lovin it :D If I could do it again, I could have done it for less money, maybe $1250 instead of $1500. The $250 is learning cost in parts I didn't end up using. Still, though... Back in the day, wasn't $1000 the price of just some stupid weapon-r intake for an IS300? The kind with LED lights and a clear window? Hah!

What blower should I go with?

Thanks for all the great advice... I have decided to go the centrifugal way!

What blower should I go with?......Vortech V1?

You guys also mentioned that most power is at higher rpm's, doesn't that mean I will run out of rpm's before reaching max boost?

also,

Running at 5-6 Psi should be safe with stock internals? ( I manually shift the AUTO tranny and mostly drive in gear at 2500 - 3000 rpm)

Thanks in advance.

The blower is RPM dependent but this doesnt necessarily mean you'll "run out of rpm". The internal gears are stepped up to account for this and since it builds more PSI with rpm, all you need is a smaller pulley to bring the boost earlier on since you cant rev to 6k like the 1uz. Same power, just modified for your rpm range. You'll likely see only 1-2psi by 2000rpm but 6psi 1000rpm from redline. Easiest way to describe the power is like a large laggy turbo with SOME added grunt down low. Off the line you wont see any boost on the gauge but it will feel faster through the whole powerband with an A-bomb feeling when you finally get around 4k.

With the rods I wouldnt go over 6psi MAX.

As far as choosing blowers its up to you. The "fish" bracket fits either Vortech V1's or Procharger P1 series. I'm 100% sure you could make other makes fit but it would require re-welding/re-drilling. Also something to consider is that some models have internal oil supplies so you dont need to tap oil lines but it's not that hard if you go that route.

Prices run anywhere from a $500ish to $1000 for a used model. I found a $250 V1 in good condition but I couldnt use it becasue it spun the wrong direction.

The V2 is a lot quieter than the V1.

Something funny about a supercharged 1UZ, it turns miles into kilometers. MPH seem like KPH, MPG seems like KPG. Dollars remain the same, however. :(

Dont mean to dig up an old thread but I was planning to spend about the same amount on my 1st gen LS this summer. I was looing for about 400hp with an M90 @ 7-8psi but im not sure if the stock internals would hold up. Can anyone verify?

400hp wont happen on an m90, its just too small. For $4k, you might as well go turbo or vortech/ATI. You could have a centrifugal setup and a full standalone for that price and crank out even more power if need be.

As long as your running a 1990-1993 1uz you should be fine. The 2nd half of 1994 toyota started using skinny rods and these engines are capped at 350bhp capability until their rods are swapped out.

Thanks spf_lexus, from some calcualtions it seemd like 400hp was possible. This is what I did: 7+14.7=21.7/14.7=1.48*250=369 By using 7psi it says you can make 370hp not accounting for heat or VE. With some other small mods like headers/exhaust or cams wouldnt 400hp come easy?

And my orignial idea was to just run a rising rate fpr for tuning. Unfortunately there is no tuning section in school :D

No problem armed n' hammered.

Rising rate at 7-8psi is totally fine, and is a durable setup. Stock fuel system can handle some hard abuse. What year engine are you running?

All the dyno plots I have seen for 1uz m90's barely crack 300whp at 7-8psi and some of these had cams, headers, etc. I think you can do it but you would need to squeeze a few mor psi out of the m90 and this means water/meth injection and preferrably, a port job on the supercharger to get extra cc of flow out of it. For the price of a 1uz supercharger manifold, you might as well go with an m112. They both go for similar prices when bought used and the m112 moves a lot more air.

Give craigslist a try. I just realized that they include all areas of Canada. Also, I would check into how much extra flow a heavy port job on the m90 will yield. Also, the pre-vvti 1uz has some pretty docile heads. If you can get them ported for a decent price it will allow you to increase boost by 1-2psi from the extra flow.

soarercentral has a lot of into on m90 setups if your looking for more info. Also, search m90 on this forum and you should find even more.

and in turn, the m90 will have less resistance to work with and a couple extra psi could be achieved but at the same time, needs to spin faster so head starts to become an issue as it passes its VE zone. ANything over 9psi should have meth inj anyway but the porting migh be the extra step that nudges over 400bhp.

BTW, if you plan on 400bhp w/ the m90, i'd plan on a GOOD tune. Stock w/ rising rate wont be enough.

I really hope to stay away from the tuning for now. From a bit of reading on here a few others have run the stock ecu on 7-8psi successfully. I definiately dont plan on running more than 8.

For some cheap extra gains I will be removing the stock fan for electric and also removing AC. The car currently has S&S headers and a full 2.5" exhaust in the works.