PSI on TRD Supercharger

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Gutz

Any of you guys ever deal with the TRD supercharger for the 5.7 Tundras? I want to "up" the boost to around maybe 12-13psi. I believe it is at like 7-7.5psi right now. Would my engine(stock) internals handle this with a good tune? If not, I take it that kit Lex is developing will? How will I be able to turn up my boost? Will I have to get a smaller pulley machined for my superchrager to do so? Thanks for all your help....

P1150017.jpg

P1150009.jpg

The only way to find out if you engine can handle that 12 psi or not is to keep boosting until it breaks. :006: The previous Tundra stock engine couldn't handle much more than 10 psi. Also, Toyota seems to build skinny rods for their cars nowadays, so I don't think it's safe to boost that much. However, it's still good to try when you have a really good ECU and a good tuning. With a root supercharger, the intake heat takes part of killing the engine.

Soooo, you think I should upgrade my intercooler to something more efficient? I really dont wanna break my enigine...Right now I have this lil guy...

P1150022.jpg

Intercooler wont help much. Water to air is great initially but after the water gets hot... everything becomes hot. It is almost like running your engine without thermostat. It is a delay heating. Anyway, I have seen few customers with broken rods in the 5.7L. Even with TRD stock boost level, rods are being broken. So upping the boost will be asking for trouble. Our stroker kit is due in couple of weeks with forged rods and pistons and will able to handle 15 psi with out any issue.

The parts for the 5.7L is expensive. Broken rods most of the time mean possible damage to the block and heads. Replacing those two parts will be very expensive. As for upping the boost. Smaller charger pulley or larger crank pulley will do the trick. However, looks like the charger pulley is very small already. Normally less then 2" charger pulley will cause slippage.

Intercooler wont help much. Water to air is great initially but after the water gets hot... everything becomes hot. It is almost like running your engine without thermostat. It is a delay heating. Anyway, I have seen few customers with broken rods in the 5.7L. Even with TRD stock boost level, rods are being broken. So upping the boost will be asking for trouble. Our stroker kit is due in couple of weeks with forged rods and pistons and will able to handle 15 psi with out any issue.

The parts for the 5.7L is expensive. Broken rods most of the time mean possible damage to the block and heads. Replacing those two parts will be very expensive. As for upping the boost. Smaller charger pulley or larger crank pulley will do the trick. However, looks like the charger pulley is very small already. Normally less then 2" charger pulley will cause slippage.

Will my supercharger be able to crank out 15psi? How if you don't mind me asking...That stroker kit, any pics?

I am not sure the new TRD charger. I think it is some type of Root Style Eaton charger. I am pretty sure it can but you most likely need to get a custom crank pulley (larger) No pic yet but soon when we get the pistons.

Rods wont handle any higher boost than stock charger with stock boost. My builder has a few of these and says he's seen the stock rods snap with the stock 5.7 TRD blowers, so if anything I would expect to upgrade the rods, I would assume pistons could handle some more tho. After all they are Mahle brand with floating pins, good build quality. Also, I would strongly think about a block guard, open deck with that much power might cause some ugly problems. I believe David has both for the 5.7. Hope this helps

Nice color BTW

BTW, I looked up the 5.7 blower and it's the new badass Eaton TVS 4-Lobe. It's the same blower in the cadillac CTS-V and new Vette ZR-1. And I guess the unit comes with an air/water cooler, shoot older TRD blowers NEVER came with ANY type of charge cooler.

Thanks. I guess Lex is gonna let me know when the stroker kit is done. I'll ask about those two items when I talk to him....

The eaton TVS 1900 is definitely capable of flowing much more air. That said you MUST have correct air/fuel/spark to go along with more air. Changing the pulleys to spin the supercharger faster is relatively easy. Yes, stronger rods are in order. The pistons probably have high ring lands to minimize unburnt fuel for emissions BUT that is not a good design for forced induction. So, rods and probably pistons. Then you need to figure out how to tune it correctly.

BTW, I only found one small picture of the system. Can you post any and all pictures of the components that you can? What is the height above the engine?

Thanks

d1dc_1.jpg

Guts, that is HOT!! Skip the aem, a proEFI is better matches your setup as it will fire all of your 8 coils and drive your drive-by-wire throttle body.

Thanks man! I'll check them out..Any model you recommend?

Attachments

• กาญจนบุรี 0113333.jpg
    กาญจนบุรี 0113333.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 250
  • กาญจนบุรี 0102222.jpg
    กาญจนบุรี 0102222.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 248
Man, that TRD supercharger looks NICE. That kit looks top-notch for factory reliability and driveabliity, or as much as a supercharger could provide on those pencil rods :)