Proposed Race. GLI vs SC400

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

cyberjoe

My buddy keeps telling my how he is going to walk away from my Sc400. I am 100% stock 1992 SC400. His car is a 100% stock 2008 GLI 6 speed. Any ideas thanks in advance.

An SC is smaller than an LS, but my LS isn't great for racing people off the line, the car is better for rolling starts. the GLI has a turbo charged 2L with 200hp. your 1UZ generates more power, so you'd just have to give it a test, or see if anybody else has done it before.

more power-weight he will probably have you at lower speeds, but once things get higher up the raange you should at least pull some back

Stock for stock, it's a dead heat. However, your car is 18 years old and his is only 2. He has to screw up for you to beat him off the line. You'll catch him at 128mph, because his car is governed to 127, and you'll ride all the way to 150.

Last edited:
My buddy keeps telling my how he is going to walk away from my Sc400. I am 100% stock 1992 SC400. His car is a 100% stock 2008 GLI 6 speed. Any ideas thanks in advance.

Would be interesting... might be close... OTOH, if he even does a tiny mod you have no chance... My 1.8t version, all 1.8l and 4 cylinders makes around 350hp and tq... with a few bolt-ons. really rocks....

I didn't know what the GLI is until I did some research.

VW 4 cylinders turbocharged with 200 hp, 207 tq and 3290 lbs.
SC 8 cylinder NA with 250 hp, 260 tq and 3700 lbs.

The race is closed. I hope I won't disappoint you, but I think the GLI will win at any range. If your car is in top notch brand new condition, then you may have a chance. However, your SC is a 18 years old car. The big disadvantage of the SC is its smooth & slow shifting auto tranny that kills your acceleration big time at launching. Even with a major tune-up, your chance is still small. I'm not talking about big mods to help you win, but you'll need a high stall rate torque converter and a shift kit to have a better chance.

My SC was with stock everything and I know how slow it accelerates (not slow anymore :p). It was slower than my previous boosted 7 psi 1999 Honda Accord. The Accord has 150 hp and 3000 lbs.

The trick to launch the SC quick is to brake-torque.

The stock SC400 will get buried... Too heavy and too slow...

My prediction anyway...

I remember when my 1992 SC400 was completely stock, I don't think I won a single race back then. I even got used by the older stock 4.6 automatic Mustangs infact..

I honestly couldn't take it anymore as I almost lost my mind. The slow takeoffs and slow starts were the worst!!!:mad: