Ported 3UZ heads

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Fasteddie

Guys,

wanted to share with you the progress on the 3UZ engine.
The heads have been ported:
CP pistons are on their way, so slowly everything progresses...

2002415118814175301_fs.jpg

2002494199234955772_fs.jpg

2002454800217309454_fs.jpg

2002453668723958518_fs.jpg

2002407408915851576_fs.jpg

looks ok, but whats the flow bench say?

whats the throat dia and valve dia?

How did you port those heads? Blue dye marking and grind and polish? Did you have them professionally machined down? Curious, if this procedure can be done by any decently knowledgable individual with some decent dremel tools, etc....

How did you port those heads? Blue dye marking and grind and polish? Did you have them professionally machined down? Curious, if this procedure can be done by any decently knowledgable individual with some decent dremel tools, etc....

Port matching of 2 flanges can be done in yoru garage. An actual full P&P job is best left to someone with a flowbench and an intimate knowledge of head flow. You can hurt a head as easily as you can help one.

A dremel is in no way shape or form sufficient for porting. You will burn them up right and left. A nice air powered die grinder with a regulator will work well though.

Recieved and understood...

Obviously self made grinds can be achieved via the port matching with careful marking and suttle even grinds.....Infact, on many occasions I had thought of port matching my 1uz-fe heads but in reality it would be too much work for what minimul gains would be achieved... I just didn't think it would be worth the effort... Full port job would be a different beast...

Thanks for the reply Boosted.....

Recieved and understood...

Obviously self made grinds can be achieved via the port matching with careful marking and suttle even grinds.....Infact, on many occasions I had thought of port matching my 1uz-fe heads but in reality it would be too much work for what minimul gains would be achieved... I just didn't think it would be worth the effort... Full port job would be a different beast...

Thanks for the reply Boosted.....

NP. I know a thing or two about porting - its a big part of my side business and I have a slightly more than 1000 CFM home-made flowbench in my garage:

complete%20bench%201.JPG

Yeah but the arc was made out of wood and only floated with animals, the Titanic was coal powered and was cruising thru some cold antartic waters and then slammed into a giant Iceberg...(Hense, Iceberg dead ahead)...Lack of radar and navigation was the cause of failure... The arc was a lemon and probably sunk anyway after the great flood...

I'm still searching for that big wooden row boat and also for the fountain of youth..No luck in finding either so far...

Never afraid, just a little worried about the final results...

Yeah but the arc was made out of wood and only floated with animals, the Titanic was coal powered and was cruising thru some cold antarctic waters and then slammed into a giant Iceberg...(Hense, Iceberg dead ahead)...Lack of radar and navigation was the cause of failure... The arc was a lemon and probably sunk anyway after the great flood...

I'm still searching for that big wooden row boat and also for the fountain of youth..No luck in finding either so far...

Never afraid, just a little worried about the final results...
Aha what was that quote John Kennedy said???
So true...In my case its a out and out off street car so things are different.. Pluss being turbochrged the heads / ports can be quite a lot bigger and not loose too much throttle response etc..
In your daily driver these things are different..
I must say.. After rising both ports and just taking same out on each port. You could run a polishing wheel through them and tidy them up just a smidgen. Or get a pro to do it with a flow machine??

BTW they found the steel they used was inferior in the Titanic...
But hey lets let the truth get in away of a good story..>>>>> LOL<<<<<

Kennedy said - Ask not what your car can do for you, but what you can do for your car...Something like that...

XR8tt- Yes you can yield some nice little gains with a good port and polish job on the heads... Nothing like effortless exhaust flow and it all starts at the heads, then the headers, down pipes, center exhaust, rear exhaust, mufflers..You get the picture....

Why is it that too good of exhaust flow can take away your throttle response in some cases, and even sometimes choke the motor at launch...Been there done that with older SBC's , there is something to be said about back pressure in some cases........Lowend grunt can win races too...

wow...D shaped exhaust ports. I haven't seen those in quite some time.

btw, the titanic sunk due to bad design. not only because it crashed. they designed each compartment so it was not sealed which allowed the water to overflow into each compartment. tankers these days have sealed compartments. al'a if you notice oil tankers. they crash, spill oil, but don't sink.

I think if an oil tanker was to hit an iceberg like the titanic did it probably would sink too..Sealed compartments or not...Design or not if you strike an inmovable object with speed like a huge iceberg something is going to give and I would venture to guess it would not be the gigantic iceberg but the big sea ship... Just my take...

Keep in mind the Titanic was an engineering marvel for it's time and the start of the large cruise ship design era....With that trajedy many engineering changes were made based on the Titanic sinking...It was all for not...

Can you say Rogue wave anyone? Now, those monsters scare me.... Just saw a discovery special on rogue waves...Now those massive waves will take out just about any ship as proven over history....The Possidon may not be such a fairy tail movie after all...

The General.... Nothing like derailing a thread...

Anyway, how about three angle valve heads as apposed to just porting and polishing the 3uz heads... How much better would that flow? A desperate attempt to get back on subject...

no...you do not understand anything about design and engineering.

only 1 or 2 of the sealed compartments ruptured in the titanic. there was 8 or 11 compartments. i don't recall the exact numbers but you are saying just because it hit something that was unmovable it will automatically sink?

well you're wrong.

you know just a few months ago an oil tanker in san francisco HIT the golden gate bridge. one of the huge posts that support the bridge. 1-2 compartments ruptured. did the tanker sink? no. its called engineering.

the titanic, sure was a engineering marvel, but in what retrospect? it sank. end of story. what was the marvel?

you must have like 20 tornado air's installed in your intake with that kind of thinking.