Plans to swap 1UZ into S14 240sx

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

cation

Greetings everyone!

I'm new here and am about to embark on my first hybrid swap.

I have the opportunity to pick up a 1UZ out of a 96 LS400 complete with uncut harness, ECU, MAF, sensors, etc. for $200. I know... $200 who would say no to that!

I'm confident that I can handle the mechanical part of the installation, but I'm a bit uncertain about the wiring portion.

Has anyone here swapped a 1UZ into a Nissan 240sx while retaining the factory Lexus/Toyota ECU?

My thoughts currently are to run both the factory Nissan ECU and LS400 ECU in tandem. The Nissan ECU will be used to retain certain non engine vehicle functions while the LS400 ECU will be used solely to run the engine.
I'm going to try to retain the OBDII port from the LS400 harness to retain scan tool diagnostic capability.

I have the complete S14 vehicle wiring diagram, but I am lacking the 96 LS400 wiring diagram.
Does anyone here know a good source to find the 96 LS400 wiring diagram/factory service manual?

I'm open to suggestions on my approach here guys and gals since this isn't going to be the most straight forward swap I've ever done.

Thanks in advance for the advice and I look forward to contributing my experiences to this forum! :shysmile:

Nevermind. I just saw who you were and realized that I owe you a response email from over a week ago. Sorry man, I've been extremely busy between work and home. I will see what I can get together for you.

Watty

Nevermind. I just saw who you were and realized that I owe you a response email from over a week ago. Sorry man, I've been extremely busy between work and home. I will see what I can get together for you.

Watty

No worries man, I know all too much about how that goes. Thanks for the reply! I sent an email back.

u dont need anything of the nissan ecu
just need to trick the air con wiring to bypass the ecu

depends how much u know bout wiring will depend if u want to reuse nissan body plugs and mate that into the ls400 loom
this way u can make it look facotry and use the nissan fuel pump and efi relays
u just have ti figure out and swap the triggers over for them

u will need a speedo intaface box if u plan to run factory gauges
as toyota is 3 wire and nissan is 2 wire
and different pulses

tacho will be fine might just need signal booster
as both have 4 cyl signals

u dont need anything of the nissan ecu
just need to trick the air con wiring to bypass the ecu

depends how much u know bout wiring will depend if u want to reuse nissan body plugs and mate that into the ls400 loom
this way u can make it look facotry and use the nissan fuel pump and efi relays
u just have ti figure out and swap the triggers over for them

u will need a speedo intaface box if u plan to run factory gauges
as toyota is 3 wire and nissan is 2 wire
and different pulses

tacho will be fine might just need signal booster
as both have 4 cyl signals

Thanks for the advice!

The goal is to cut/solder/splice wire looms as little as possible. I like to keep things as clean and as "stock" looking/functioning as possible, but I do intend to do exactly as you recommend with the EFI and fuel pump relays.

The Nissan speedo is run directly off the transmission speed sensor (at least thats how I read the S14 EWD), so I don't think I'll have to modify anything there since I'm retaining the stock 240sx 5MT.

I will know more about what I'm facing once I study both vehicle wiring diagrams more and actually have all the parts together to start the project.

I'm going to be picking up the motor set this week hopefully Thursday or Friday. :slaphappy:

So I went to junkyard this afternoon to pick up my motor set...

While there I randomly started talking to another customer who noticed the motor I came to pick up. As it turns out he had a 1UZ out of a 97 SC400 with 90k on it that he was going to swap into his MR2. He informed me that he had abandoned his project and wanted to get rid of the engine along with an MR2 turbo flywheel machined to fit the 1UZ (which I happen to need anyways)...

Then $720 later, this happened:

005.jpg

004.jpg

I've got everything that I need to do the swap now except the MR2 pressure plate, Z32 clutch disc, and a whole lot of blood sweat and tears...

I've gotta say, I'm pretty damned happy with the way that today turned out!

hey guys i know its been a year already .. but im doing a similar swap in my S13 chasis.... does anyone here have the wiring diagram? im not good in wiring also..