My 4x4 hilux (93 model)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Guts

I bought this hilux back in july 97, it was stock standard and I mean stock, it didn`t even have floor matts and still had the standard just am radio. Well this lasted about 1/2hr from picking it up before the mods begain. 1st mod was to replace the standard spilt rims with 15 x 8 rims with 31 BFG mud terrains as soon as I got it home. Then within 2 weeks it had a rear diff lock, snorkel, cd player, uhf cb plus some other small things. Then over the next few years it under went a lot of changes with things like a 2nd diff lock, winch, 4 inch suspension lift, 33`s etc etc

I`ve done about 15 comps with it with results from bad, like a DNF in Woodpecker 2003 due to driver error to 4th in Tuff Truck Challenge 2001, 3rd Woodpecker 2002 and 3rd In open class at Nissan Trials 2003.

The Hilux has also been featured in Australian 4x4 Monthly twice, once back in 2001 and again in 2004 and as soon as it is back togehter and finished it will be getting featured again but this time in a different 4x4 magazine.

Anyway to cut a long story short here is the list of what it had just before I pulled it off the road to do the V8 conversion, repaint it, clean it all up and add an internal rollcage and 4 point harnesses.

- Cheezy Racing tube front bar
- rock sliders
- high clearance cross member
- T case bash plate
- rear trac bar
- stealth bead locks
- Longfields (CV`s)
- front and rear U bolt flips
- front shock hoops
- X over high steer
- rock rods (steering)
- wheel spacers
- Snake Racing rear 2 inch lift blocks
- 1UZFE, 4lt Toyota V8. Was a turboed 2.8 desiel
- Front and rear ARB air locks
- 4.88 diff gears
- Rockhopper Transfer case gears
- Warn 9000lb low mount winch
- Custom tray
- Shortened frame rails
- Custom suspension, approx 4 inch lift
- OME shocks (to short)
- Custom rear shock mounts
- 2 inch body lift
- Q78 swampers (35.5 x 12.5)
- IPF driving lights, lightforce for night comps
- Rock lights
- UHF
- Pioneer CD player
- Honda bucket seats
- Safari Snorkel
- Custom rear disk breaks
- Front diff moved forward 40mm
- 2 Exide Extreme batteries under tray

this rig will never be finished.

Here is a link to the thread on my V8 conversion http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1354

Soon I`ll post up some pics from a few years ago as well as how it looked when it got pulled apart aswell as how it looks today in the shed in a thousand bits.

OK here are some pics, from oldest to as it was when it came off the road 12 months ago. Oh and the dates are wrong on the ones that say 99, it should be 2001

Git's,

I'll scan and post some photos of my car from the Australian Safari.

I also have an article from Bushdriver on our run in the Safari that I may post up.

You should do the same they make good reading and let's people see why you bulid thing certain ways.

Guts said:
Here is a link to the full feature that was done on it in 4x4 monthly, the pics were taken back in July 2003.

http://www.snakeracing.com.au/media/guts.html
Guts, just came accross this thread you're 4x4 is an ANIMAL, i love it! did you enjoy the roll over(the pain of seeing damage after was most likely worse)

i cant navigate through that link any tips, don't know what i'm looking for. i like the idea of a, early hilux duel cab 1UZ and oneday hope to buy any 4x4 and goo off road(my old ute went places 90% of new 4x4 owners would even dream of, most new 4WDs dont see dirt).

Gut's,

The link won't work for me either. All it did was give me a load of advertising I didn't want.

Better run another scan and chuck out the rubbish!

Sorry dudes, the site got updated and in doing that had moved the page. Anyway try that link again as I have edited it.

If that doesn`t work go to www.snakeracing.com.au then after it opens go write down to the bottom of the front page and click on the link. Now just so that people don`t start to think that my sponsor is paying for this rebuild I have payed for EVERYTHING myself. I have been building this rig for 7 1/2 years and its ALL been out of my pocket.

BTW snake racing also do things for street cars and street machines. One of these things being air bag suspension for utes, even to the point of dropped hub axles etc, if Ryan hasn`t got it he can either get it or get it made, its only your imagination and money that limits it.

Now the roll over was funny as hell, after we stopped on our roof I looked at my navi and smiled as I said OPPS, then we sat there laughing untill we started argueeing about who was going to undo their seat belt first lol. I went first but was smart enough to brace myself on the steering wheel so when I undid the belt I didn`t fall. As I was crawling out the window I herd my navi undo his belt, the sound was click, BANG!!!!!!!!!!!! as he landed on his head on the roof, I was laughing that had I couldn`t stand up and had tears coming out my eyes, the officals that were there thought I had hert myself because of the tears lol. The roll didn`t bother me at all as I built the hilux for doing this type of thing with it. No point having it if you don`t use it, and if you use it your going to bend it sooner or later.

Gut's,

I like your attitude.

When we built our Rangie for the Australian Safari we took the attitude if it died on the finish line we couldn't have cared less. Would have cost about the equivalent of a cheap house at the time but we only built it to do one thing. Race and race to win.

If you want to compete you have to go at it 150% or don't bother.

When we rallied our Porsche we had a little sign in the back "take no prisoners" and we drove that way and the car died that way. Big tree bent car. Oh well?

Here are some pics from the 1st trip (and only) trip it has done with the 1uz in it.

Oh and we camped about 200mts from the start of this hill, about 50mts up this hill (just before where it is in the 1st pic), the drivers side of the hilux was sitting against the bank in the big cutting. I still didn`t back off even though it was its first trip out after a 18 month full rebuild and full respray. Its now got scratches allready, didn`t even get 300mts of driving it before it got scratched hehehehehe. If you look you`ll notice the dirt on the drivers door and the front of the tray.

check the load on the right front tyre in the last pic, its mad

that is one beast of a truck i love it, that is Almost enough to inspire me to use my 1UZ in a 4WD. keep up the posts its very inspiring and entertaining!
thanks Dean

deankdx said:
check the load on the right front tyre in the last pic, its mad

Yep thats what happens when you run low tyre pressours for extra traction. That weekend I only dropped them to 10psi in the front and 8psi in the rear. Normally I drop them to 8psi in the front and 6psi in the rear. Since this was the 1st trip with the V8 I left them a bit higher as it is just that little bit easier on the drive train. This is also why I have the beadlocks (the outer rings on the rims) as it clamps the tyres to the rim so that they DON`T come off even at 0psi

But ya thanks for the praise

Oh and as for keeping you upto date nothing more will happen for atleast a month or 2 as I have no money and need to fix, P/S pump as it died and I also have to replace the water pump as it got a big time leak that day. Once I have the $$$$ to do these things then it will get engineered and re registered, then it will be driving every chance I get.

Guts said:
Oh and as for keeping you upto date nothing more will happen for atleast a month or 2 as I have no money and need to fix, P/S pump as it died and I also have to replace the water pump as it got a big time leak that day. Once I have the $$$$ to do these things then it will get engineered and re registered, then it will be driving every chance I get.
yeah i read about the probs in another thread, i'm impessed also by the build quality of your truck especially considering the way its used. but i spose thats why i like my original ute, i used to lean the motorbike againt it without a care of being scratched also driven doen some vey rough tracks in it and the underside looks as if it should be a 4WD. hopefully i wont have a snap decicion to sell my 1UZ as i can still remember the fun its given even the little use i have had so far(probably been driven less than the time i've spent fixing problems, maybe thats the reason the guy sold it in the first place???)
good luck anyway i'll be waiting and watching regardless this is ONE GREAT FORUM!! where there is many incarnations but always intersting and exiting.
regards Dean

thought I had better give an update.

Lux is now regiestered again and getting driven every chance I get.

I do have acouple of new pics, nothing over the top but still new pics.

Oh and keep an eye out for it in an upcoming issue of 4x4 Australia, it will either be in the next issue or the one after that.

In this pic I was in 2nd low at about 2000 rpm and did not lift my foot even a little bit when the wife was screaming. All that air under the wheel is from the torque not a lack of susension travel.