My 4x4 hilux (93 model)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Well I`ve just started buiding a buggy. Got the frame, but ATM its just a frame with no mounts or anything.

But allready have, all out of a GQ nissan (only because its all free)
Diffs
transfercase
drive shafts
radiator
auto pedal setup
and anything else I want.

still have to get,
350 chev (want 1uz but chev is cheaper to setup)
full man th400
auto to transfer adaptor
seats
cutting brakes
diff locks
tryes
rims

But depeanding on $$$$$$ will do the Vic winch challenge in October and then Nissan Trials in Novmember. But I want to have the buggy finished ready to compete in 12 months time as I want to do the whole 2007 series of werock. So $$$$$$$ is the BIG limiting factor here.

Basicly the hilux will not do many more comps as I really want to do rock crawling and the lux is just to good to trash it in this sort of event and this is what would happen, big time. So it will more be just a really good social driver from now on with the odd comp here and there.

Just so you know normally this rig doesn`t faill into ruts. The reason it was doing it this day (3 times, BIG time) was because first thing in the morning I aired my tyres down to 10psi. The air temp then climbed up to 42+ deg cel and this caused the air in the tyres to heat up and they went up to 15psi which is just way to high for doing this sort of thing. Once I realised what was happening and air them back down, this time to 8 psi the hilux never fell in the ruts again.

Great pics

for us non 4WDers, is that stuck in the first pic? looks bordering on roll over angle? did you drive out of there or was the winch used.

a 4WD is probably on next years To Do List for me, although it will be from Toyata i have no idea on what to get, exept it must cost under $10k mid 80s model landcruisers are looking to what i want?

In the first 2 pics it will never roll there as its allready sitting against the bank. If bank wasn`t there then ya it would be close to falling over. From that spot I reversed back as fair as I could but then just became high centred on the diffs. then I had to run the winch out at 90 deg to the lux and winch the front out sideways with a bit of drive as well.

I like the hiluxs the best, light, small and can be built anyway you want.

Guts said:
then just became high centred on the diffs. .
thanks made a lot of sense,
high centred on diffs = no wheels touching ground i spose, got better pics of under your car from that day than in your build up thread, i can see the diff lock hose/wire in the rear diff, your exhaust etc.
thanks again for shareing the experience, i think 40 degree days are best spent with beer at a mates Joint, thats what i did that day in Melbourne it was nearly as hot.
Dean

Quick upddate, busted my front diff a few weekends ago. It was allready stuffed and was making some bad nioses from before I dropped the 8 in so I knew it was going to go soon. Haven`t pulled it out yet but I`d say it has stripped the teeth of either or both the crown and pinion.

What was the final straw for the diff? I hear you ask. 2nd gear and about 6000rpm with a mix of rocks and swampers thrown in hehehehehe.

Will post up some pics once I have taken the centre out. Will also post up some engine bay pics at the same time.

Attachments

• 1uzfechevdis.jpg
    1uzfechevdis.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 215
-Nemesis- said:
Did you ever sort your cooling problems on the slow stuff mate?
No not yet as I haven`t driven it much in the slow stuff yet (been either to buisy with work. to bloody hot or no money). What I am going to do is drop an 80 series rad on the back. This will solve it without any of the stuffing around. Plus it will be good for when I do do comps in it as it will never get mud in it. I will be doing this before October as I have a comp I am going to do then.

Nice pic's Guts - Did you end up getting out of that rut on your own or did you need a wench pull? Any dents? Man I miss offroading I would have tore that trail up in my old 74 Toyota 4X4, anyway looks like fun. Have you guys ever rolled or almost rolled front over back while climbing? That happen to me once climbing an almost vertical hill in that Cruiser sporting the built 283 Chevy. Anyway, I like what I see, cool stuff....

Jibby,

I personally don't mind a wench pull but when my 4x4 is stuck a winch pull works much better.

Have a laugh at yourself. I've had plenty at my own expense.

Ya had to winch out as it was high centred on both front and rear diffs. Dented the drivers guard a bit and the drivers door when the mirror bracket hit it. Nothing to cry over.

I have almost gone arse over head trying to reverse up a hill in a comp, just popped the clutch and she came back down again. All the crowd that was there thought it was gone gone gone, but then they all cheard loudly when I saved it.