manual swap- what manual used?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

johnw

manual swap- what manual did you use?

What kind of trans have been used for swaps for the uz with success?
So far, I've heard of
v160
r154
w58
now I see a getrag from a bmw is being attempted. Also, who used a custom bell and who used an adapter?

A 6 speed out of a 350z would crumble under the TQ of a 1uz, it can barely handle the power of a mild twin set-up on the VQ35.

I'm not sure that the BMW 850csi has the same Getrag as the MKIV Supra. As I remember it was the Version 5, or something like that. It can handle the HP, but is pretty different from a V160. The shift gate is a different pattern, and the throw is different. Plus by the time you bought a new V160 bellhousing (assuming they even line up in the rear section), you'd just be better off buying a V160, R154, or W58. FWIW, the W58 can handle around 500rwhp, maybe more if not drag raced from light to light. Plus people are letting those trannys go from the 2jz for pennies.

Hope it helps John,

Eric

Hi,

I am developing a manual gearbox conversion kit which mates to the Tremec T5/TKO600 GM style box. Thus giving many possible gearbox possibilities.

We also are making an R154 adaptor kit. Kits includes clutches/flywheels etc a complete bolt on package.

If you need to know more please email me [email protected] as I don't want to be seen to be pushing/advertising any product, it's still in development for a start.

I've just successfully put a SC400 4.0lt V8 lump into my MkIV Supra TT mating to the stock auto box, next is a manual conversion to TKO600 5psd(which I have purchased already). V160 Supra manual boxes are just so rare I didn't even bother starting with this in mind.
Regards
Pete (UK)

It's really a shame that the V160 is so rare in England. It's one hell of a 6 speed transmission.

Eric

yup
v160 is almost unavaible in Europe. I think most of its are in England due JDM imports (right hand drive as in Japan, rest Europe is left hand as US). if in England it is rare, imagine fow rare it is in rest of europe
so covboy: plate for 1UZ and supra mk3 R154 tranny will be best seler in Europe. cause there was a lot of mk3 supras and very few mk4 6 speed.

I don't know, every German Supra I have come into contact with so far has been a 6 speed. : )

The adapter plate will fit the R154, as long as it came from a 1jz motor.

Eric

Do you sell or know anyone that sells a manual tranny swap for 97sc400...my hp is basically stock and i dont pland on going over 450hp....what is the most ideal tranny to go with...and if you dont sell the kit...do you know anyone that does or a shop that can get me all the parts and install it...thanks

Saila Inn

R154 is proven for 700-800 rwhp on some soarers. perhaps it can take even more. at least it is truck tranny.
It is cheap (I payd $200 with clutch and flywheel) and easy to buy. v160 cost fortune. R154 from supra need shifter extension (vipsoarer wrote solution on that at clublexus.com) and adaptor plate/bellhousing. R154 from soarer need only adaptor plate/bellhousing (shifter will be where should be) but it is very rare. I thinkig r154 from mk3 supra turbo it is best for money tranny for automatic to manual swap in sc400.
Jerry

My current combination of parts is as follows: 1UZ engine, Richmond Gear 6 speed, Castelmaine Rod Shop bellhousing, stock 1UZ flexplate with custom flywheel for Tilton multiplate 7.25" clutch. My project car is most definitely not a production Lexus/Toyota body shell, so I can make all of my components fit where they need to. The gearbox is pricey as new, but the ratios are changeable for the purpose needed. The clutch and input spline config is a standard fine spline Chevy affair to make the replacement parts easy to source.