Manual Conversion in the LS400

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

dicko

Sup gang,

Looking at buying that kit for the manual conversion, and was wondering where the shifter on the T5 would sit in the LS. That aside, if everyone could throw ideas at me about this conversion that's be swell, as most of the threads seem to relevant either to the Soarer or othe Toyota trucks & cars. So far i know:

- I'll need to install a handbrake; not a huge job, the main item being the lack of much room in the cabin, anyone done it? Will need the footbrake space for a clutch (also, footbrake = no slides)

- Will I need to get a custom tailshaft, or is the length of the T5 similar to the stock auto?

- Will the Dellow bellhousing take a stock starter motor?

Anyone who's put ANY manual trans into the LS is most certainly welcome to give any hints, pointers, or various other forms of advice also. I plan to be doing all the work myself at home in the garage, and once the project gets underway I'll definitely do a full writeup on the whole process.

Cheers,
Dicko.

hey there bud,
dont think anyone has done it before in a ls400/celsior,
i am the only one i know who has gotten so far with it, ive got bits and pieces ready to go into my celsior, had them for awhile ive been slack, but very soon they starting to go in :) im excited....

hand brake, is an issue i think, there isnt much room, not alot of room for clutch either, i havent sorted out a clutch yet, but im not too worried about that part, i have a soarer hand brake assembly, same colour there abouts to the celsior center console, i plan to modify the console, and squeeze it in there,, my misses's old man owns a upholstry shop so he can make it look pretty again.

tail shaft will need to be modified, not sure the length of the t5 but doubt it would fit,

not sure about starter?? i havent pulled it off yet or had a look,

need master cylinder and all that stuff too,

Paul.

Any indeas on the shifter position or yoke format in relation to stock standard? I would have thought more people would have manuals in these... Since the auto is pretty much the reason i wanted to get rid of the car...

edit: just found out the shifter on the custom-bellhoused T5 is 790mm away from the bellhousing. Can anyone give me an indication on how far the auto shifter is away? Can't really drop the gearbox out at the moment to measure it.

i dunno about that, i havent pulled mine apart yet .. waiting on my shed... then ill drop everything out,
just take a rough measurement from rear of motor to the shifter hole? if its sorta close then you can go from there, if its way out ? think of something else ?? :p

i dont even kno the length of my r154 ?