Lets Talk 2UZFE V161 Manual Conversions

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

rollexus_400

Hello Everyone,

We are looking to the Lextreme community to come through and put together a AT - Manual conversion that might as well have been done by Toyota when they first manufactured the SC400. We are looking for everyone's experiences with such an endeavor and what they would have done differently. Our project depends on you guys, we need your help please.

What we will not talk about:

Adapters that mate the V160 to the UZFE motors.
Multi disk clutches that are almost impossible to drive.

What we are looking for:

Custom bellhousing that will mate the V161 to the 2UZFE
Flywheel with ring gear, pressure plate and clutch that will work with such a mate

Has anyone got Quarter Master to put together flywheel, pressure plate and clutch for the UZ?

As mentioned before, we would like this to look as factory as possible, practical (driveable), and easily reproducible.

Mod gurus please enlighten us with your wisdom, you know who you are....

Please do not tell me to search the forums, I have memorized ScottURNot and UZTT's conversion thread wink.gif

Thanks in Advnaced,

Nick from Toronto

What would you like it changed to? Other than eliminating the "CL" and putting Lextreme in instead?

So Nick, you're aware the V160 & V161 have what others refer to as "integral" bellhousings, and they're not quite as simple to swap around as other trannies?

I'm not aware of any custom UZ to V161 bellhousing solutions. Any of our Oz members know of any? CRS or Dellows maybe?

Lately we're having some limited success discussing flywheels and clutches with Fidanza, and no, I don't mean modified 3S-GTE flywheels, I mean real, purpose built flywheels for the UZ family. Fidanza evidently already make them, and it's just to convince them now that we don't want a 13" Landcruiser clutch and gearbox behind them, but a more sporty setup that could include clutches for the R154, V160, and V161 boxes.

Hey cribbj,

Thank you for your response. I saw that the V161 has an integral bellhousing, I do have one of those TTC adapters as a last resort, we are really pushing for the bellhousing. On the flywheel, I have been talking to the clutch guys QM, Fidanza and JB Racing, and it is a matter of sending the flexplate (for bolt pattern and ring gear pattern), clutch and pressure plate (to match the provisions) and they will manufacture a lightened flywheel out of aluminum. If I am missing anything, or you gents see a problem with the approach please let me know?

Also, be aware that since the stock slave/fork setup for the V160/161 is a pull type, if any of the clutch people you're in touch with are proposing a push type, it'll have to include a hydraulic release bearing, or some other means of converting from pull to push.

Best of luck with it all, but sorry to say your not heading down an unbeaten path, others have already done this.

Why are you sorry? That is good news! I am not trying to break barriers here, hence the looking towards the forums to find out what has already been done.

On the flywheel, do you have any sources or places where I can find one off the shelf?

Hello Everyone,

I have the solution:

TTC Adapter
QM Button Flywheel and triple plate clutch kit
Hydraulic Throw Out Bearing
Use the ring gear of the flex plate

And I do not have to be a billionaire to acquire this goal.

What I am looking for are alternatives. I would like to see if we can better the existing solution by going with a:

Custom V16x "forward gearbox casing"
Custom flywheel with provisions that will accept an OEM supra clutch, so we do not have to worry about push type TOBs etc...

Nick

Hey Anodyne

Thank you for your response. I am familiar with the button flywheel, can get them from QM for 200 dollars "mods, I am not selling just stating". As mentioned earlier we want to go with a flywheel that has the ring gear on them.
The description is interesting because it claims that the button flywheel will outlast the flywheels that have the ring gear machined onto them. Not sure what this would be the case? Should I be looking for a one piece flywheel?

If we can get a flywheel with provisions that accept the oem clutch, correct me if I am wrong, it could save us a lot of headaches. These flywheel guys will always offer flywheels that force us to use their clutches.... Not going there. OEM all the way! Or in this case. As much as possible!

My flywheel came with the ring gear machined into it.

There are literally dozens of different 1/2/3UZ flywheel combinations to fit a multitude of transmissions and clutches in Australia and New Zealand.

Even South Africa makes them.

We'll end up with so many manufacturers a heap will move on to something else and we'll all be the worse off for it.

Sounds like you're trying to re-invent the wheel.

Hey Zuffen.

Thank you for your response. I am not looking to reinvent the flywheel. I am actually looking for one of those suppliers. Not to sure if I will go with a machined ring gear though. I am looking for someone who can machine a one piece flywheel.

Nick

My flywheel came with the ring gear machined into it.

There are literally dozens of different 1/2/3UZ flywheel combinations to fit a multitude of transmissions and clutches in Australia and New Zealand.

Even South Africa makes them.

We'll end up with so many manufacturers a heap will move on to something else and we'll all be the worse off for it.

Sounds like you're trying to re-invent the wheel.

Hey Anodyne,

Thank you so much. I will be contacting A1turbos today and see what they can offer me. Do you recall how much your flywheel ways? I agree with you 10kg/22lb is ideal.

Nick

Oh thats wrong. A1turbos flywheel accepts a range of clutches. mine is not from them in fact the clutch I have is made up for several different parts from different suppliers, the plate is from one place, the pressure plate another place. If memory serves me correctly, the plate is some organically grown custom unit, and the pressure plate is from a nissian safari ! (two different suppliers).

The dowels on the flywheel dictate what it will accept, those can be re-drilled in different locations.

Attachments

• Wiring.jpg
    Wiring.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 7
  • wiring1.jpg
    wiring1.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 6
Hey Anodyne,

I am not too concerned about the wight. A 15KG flywheel is good for me. I would like the torque to get transferd over to the rear wheels. I will listen to what they have to say. My only concern at this point is a one piece flywheel that includes the ring gear vs. a ring gear that is sweated onto the flywheel.

Thanks for Everything!

Nick