larger 315cc injectors OBD2 2nd gen 1uzfe results fitting running SAFC-2

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

H7ERO

HI guys IV spent an intense 2 hours reading through threads and searching, the forum

However I still cant find a definitive answer:

Iv got 4 sets of injector in my hoard 7mgte, lime (315), yellow (315), and black (440)

and 3sgte pink (315 high impedance)

I want to fit them to my my OBD2 1996 2nd gen 1uzfe (vortech boosted 6psi standard ECU, FMU)

I dont have a fuel requirement right now but iv got a smaller pulley waiting to go on there, its practically crawling towards me on my desk right now!

Some people are saying they are running 315s on their sets up with the standard ECU no issues at all, others are mentioning rough as hell Idle

Is there anyone running on an obd2 system the larger 315 injectors and how is it running.

I also have an SAFC2 which could help it again there is conflicting information on the results on the obd2 system

some people have one running not clear on which year, others feel it wont work when run on a closed loop system, again any experience would be appreciated

Thanks

I suspect I will just have to give this all a go to see

Im pretty sure mine pulls 7deg of timing as it is once the charge is hot, but then frees up at WOT

Could not a resistor be used on the Air temp sensor or an external temp sensor re located to pre charger?

Or do you have first hand experience of it fitted and not working?

no, a resistor won't work, and when the obd2 ecu see's a imbalance between afm readings and air temp it either faults and pulls a full 7 deg no matter what, or it compensates for the difference automatically. Essentially nullifying the changes you made.
also, the article you posted has no afm readings to back up

Last edited:
SAFC 2 seems to fine on Hondas too with OBD2 management,

7 deg retard isnt so bad when your boosting either, for me I can feel the ecu retarding the timing at partial boost levels causing the car to feel flat at certain times when im only going for it a bit,
I have no cats, but all my lamdas are connected, so it could be to do with air temps or lamda readings

I suspect at my full boost its just beyond the parameters for the airflow meter and is just in open loop or on a base map as then it pulls like a train,
It also pulls like a train from cold so in warm up mode it also could be in open loop

which makes me think along the lines of having a switchable water temp sensor, which I can have on most of the time or turn off to trick the ECU into open loop...

The way Im seeing it the SAFC in my application, the SAFC just needs to control the larger injectors at idle and when cruising or part throttle
which will be anoying if the ECU re learns and adjust for these settings

I guess i should see if the ecu can handle the injectors without the SAFC first

Also dosent the SAFC2 manipulate the AFM signal which in theory could see it reporting to the ECU for example under full boost (when out of the original AFM range or at its maximum) up to 20% less (which may bring it back into range or enough to actually control the larger injector

In which case a resistor or manipulated Air temp signal would show the ECU nothing unusual?

From driving my car for 4 years almost daily im pretty convinced its the air temp that pulls the timing in the mid range after warm up on cold days it severly reduced

from cold or at full boost (past the AFM parameters) the ECU is in a different mode and it pulls like a train...

I also think now if in Idle up mode it is open loop, for performance applications this is all good, however it does noticeably use more gas, I ran for a while with no thermostat and it would rarely get up to temp

If you know of where I can find more information on how the standard ECU behaves please let me know

I understand fully that programmable ECUS are great but im, cheap and just want to see what can be done another way

Both provide a 0-5V signal to the ecu which the SAFC manipulates, both have separate air temp sensors,

both stock MAP and MAF sensors probably go out of their programmed operating range under boost

isn't the 1uz air flow meter a frequency signal
that's y its so hard to test using a multimeter

reading all your other posts u like fitting a band aid strip to stop a 10 inch cut from bleeding on all your work

why not just by a decent ecu and all your bleeding will be gone

reading all your other posts u like fitting a band aid strip to stop a 10 inch cut from bleeding on all your work

why not just by a decent ecu and all your bleeding will be gone

Im not sure what you mean, I dont have any "cuts" or "bleeding"

my "band aid in" your opinion has been putting down 400bhp daily driven in my supra on street and track for the last 3 years with not one issue and not one ECU mod, I drive it like a twat, its got a welded differential and semi slick tyres, its a toy and I having fun playing with it.
I dont even have my CEL hooked up because I’m that confident,

Any way its proven set up now as far as I’m concerned and I’m looking to push the factory ECU further.

Anyone else who’s interested in boost should be aware 6PSI doesn’t require any ECU tuning: simple

The OBD2 engine may well be "re learning" and "compensating" and NASA may well have me under surveillance for running No cats, but its working for me every day

I just find the approach of buying a "decent" ecu mildly uninteresting especially if its not required yet, im sure its great experience but at the moment I’m not ready for that yet, nor do I want to get into that debate
I want to see what I can do without it, and I’m interested in what others have managed to achieve too.

4U2QUICK:

SAFC 2 on a VVTI this guys fitting them at his shop regularly:

note post #58

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance/263646-dyno-results-post-safc-ii-tune-16hp-42tq-4.html

Install guide:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance/263930-safc-ii-install-instructions-for-gs-400-s.html

on the early engine: with the optical frequency MAF thing

http://soarercentral.com/sc-forum/messages/282/285856.html

I will report continue to post relevant links and any progress, if any.