Introduction and a little question.

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

MaxFP

Hi Guys, I'm max, this is my first post in this great forum that i've been reading for a few months.

I live all the way down in Chile in a small touristic town called "San pedro de Atacama" in the driest desert of this planet.

I've been around Toyotas since I can remember, mainly Hiluxes 4Runners and Land Cruisers. Since this year i've been involved with the 1UZ's thanks to a friend that made look into swapping one instead of my tired and thirsty 22R.

So this is my first question:

I've got a JDM 1st gen 92 to 94 1UZ-FE that it's not running, it all seems to point at the ecu, which doesn't turn the check engine light on, but it turns itself on when when I put +12 in the MREL pin. Did all the wiring myself and the ecu it's the one with the Huge 80 and 40 pin connector.

I'm guessing the ECU it's toasted or something, and I just want to get it running, now the question: Would a USDM ecu that I can buy Off Ebay work on this engine without throwing codes?

As the ECU Number parts are not the same.

As this engine and loom seems to have only 2 o2 sensors with only 1 wire each. It has the cold start injector also.

I read the post about the capacitors, they seem hmmm not so great. Could this be the cause?

It came out of a SC400.

Any ideas?

Cheers, I'm all ears.

USDM will work ok if you do find the proper model. However it will most likely have the caps issue as well. They start to fade long before one is able to visually identify it. So if your caps don't look ok, be sure they're screwed. However, as usually, toubles usually come with friends, so fixing the caps alone may not fix your issue

Well that seems to be the problem... finding the proper model I did a cross parts reference in toyodiy to find my ecu number (because the old sticker is no longer there)

And found trough the TPS my ecu number since it would be the only one matching a 1UZ. Toyota Celsior 1989-94 (quite old) 89661-50100.

And while doing a search on ebay i cannot sem to find it.

I found: 89661-24480 89661-24230 and 89661-24240

Would any of those part numbers match my engine and make it work?

Also found a set of capacitors, I guess that would also be worth getting if not for the old ECU for the one I get on ebay.

there were at least 2 different ecu types between 1989 and 1994
the part numbers you found are both for toyota soarer
they have different connectors

Yep i after doing lots of searches to find my correct ecu part number i came out with 2 possible results.

89661-24220 05/91 - 12/93
89661- 24250. 05/91 -07/96

Now... which one is the real deal.... I'm not so sure. I just know is a 1st gen.

Is there compatibility with any on the ones i found before? How could i know the compatibility between the ecus. Is it just by experience or is there another way to know?

I'm not sure of the part numbers but I have run 2 different 40 40 40 ecu's on my uz... The only difference is for the auto trans one of the ecu's (the larger one) throws a code for trans temp so the od light would flash after awhile... so if you are running a manual trans any 40 40 40 ecu should be fine for the engine side of things.... My motor is also the early one with the cold start injector...