I need a new project

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
John,

I have 5 sailboats from little to big, I must sell a few as we don't use some of them.

My boys waterski and would like me to get a ski boat but no go, cause I'd end up drivng all the time while they had fun.

I don't think I need another boat.

I don't like flying so that's an easy answer.

It's difficult as I want something that's going to make my geriatric mind work plus be fun but at the same time not be totally useless, or valuless, at the end of the project.

The only Mopar I would lust over would be an early Barracuda but it would need a hemi and they only built a few dozen of then so I can see me getting one.

Now you see the interest in the original Hemi.

I was asked how much I had spent on my 1uz the other day.

I came up with over $28,000 in parts and another 13-15 in labour.

For $40,000 I can buy a turnkey supercharged 502 HEmi that will churn out 650-700hp all day, everyday and use fuel like there's a bottomless deposit under my house!

That said I don't think it would be much worse than my 1uZ in economy ( I use more than 25litres per 100K) and it would have heaps of street cred and look and sound amazing.

I know John Cribb will never talk to me again but old fashioned pushrods "talk" to me. One day I'll catch up with him and buy him a beer, then he'll talk to me.

I'm so old I remember when the "Little Red Waggon" hit the scene in the '60's and I was there at the frst 200MPH pass at Catlereagh Dragstrip in Sydney (or Australia for that matter). I was there to see E. J. Potter on his bike and Wild Bill Shewsbury in the LA Dart.

Perhaps it's a mid life crisis but I have always wanted an "out there" car and maybe now is the time?

I vaguely see a divorce on the horizon!!

Now you see the interest in the original Hemi.

I know John Cribb will never talk to me again but old fashioned pushrods "talk" to me. One day I'll catch up with him and buy him a beer, then he'll talk to me.

Rod, say it ain't so! I'll gladly take you up on the beer anytime, but a pushrod motor? What's the point - are you needing a shot of nostalgia? Jeez, put a Beach Boys or Jan & Dean CD on. You don't remember what a huge PITA those old double pumpers and distributors were? I think one reason not many muscle cars have survived was because of all the car fires from their carbs and fuel lines catching fire. That and their propensity for self destruction due to their lousy suspensions and drum brakes. About all those old muscle cars could do is make lots of impressive noise and accelerate - they couldn't go around a track very well without some serious suspension work, and they sure couldn't stop......

I can understand you're weary from pumping all those $$$$ into the UZ, so why don't you look at doing something with the Coyote? There's a motor with huge potential, for not much $$$, and the aftermarket is going to be all over it and building cheap add-ons soon.

I'm so old I remember when the "Little Red Waggon" hit the scene in the '60's and I was there at the frst 200MPH pass at Catlereagh Dragstrip in Sydney (or Australia for that matter). I was there to see E. J. Potter on his bike and Wild Bill Shewsbury in the LA Dart.

Perhaps it's a mid life crisis but I have always wanted an "out there" car and maybe now is the time?

I vaguely see a divorce on the horizon!!

Hopefully no divorces, but I definitely think some counseling is in order...... I think we need to strap you down in front of a television and make you watch alternating episodes of Grease and Happy Days until you're over this. :D

Aha visions of Clockwork Orange... In front of T.V..Lol..

BALLSY brakes and handling packages have come along way..

A well built car would fetch good $$ even if it's a "look a like"..

To keep marriage's happy.. I won't post any more links..

Geese I'm a softy...
imagesCAP2D86Vdodge.jpg

Last edited:
Did someone say Coyote ???

Ford Racing announced back in June they would offer 2010 Mustang body-in-white kits this fall for racers wanting to modify a 2010 model from the ground up. Now news has come down Ford Racing will offer a variety of competition kits to go along with the body-in-white kits to reduce complexity and build times for racers. A 2010 body-in-white Mustang will run you $4,995 and in addition you can order the add-on competition kits which include a Mustang Seat kit ($1.295.95), Mustang exterior kit ($1,075), Mustang interior kit ($1,725.95), and the 10-pt Cromoly Rollcage kit ($1,765). Racers with valid competition licenses have till November 15th to place their orders with the Ford Racing wharehouse by an authorized Ford Racing Distributor. All kits ordered are for pick-up only and should be ready sometime in the 1st quarter of 2010.

For more check out the press release below:

Press Release:

Ford Racing offers 2010 Mustang Competition Kits

The 2008 Cobra Jet has lit up the drag racing world, appearing on magazine covers and at drag strips across the country. Already all 2010 Cobra Jet's are spoken for, but the demand for a racer-friendly Competition Kit has been high.

Ford Racing is committed to helping racers get late-model Mustangs out on the track. By pre-ordering and minimizing our inventory costs we are able to offer the best pricing possible on Mustang Competition Kits.

These industry-first kits greatly reduce the complexity and build time typically associated with a body- in-white build. For little more than the competition is offering the body shell alone, the Mustang Competition Kits include interior, exterior (including glass), and seats. Cobra Jet power-train components are also available through the Ford Racing catalog. For full details on what is included in the Mustang Competition Kits please visit fordracingparts.com.

Part Number Description MSRP
M-607100-M 2010 Mustang Body-in-White $4,995.00
M-2010-SEATMGTA 2010 Mustang Seat Kit $1,295.95
M-2010-EXTMGTA 2010 Mustang Exterior Kit $1,075.95
M-2010-INTMGTA 2010 Mustang Interior Kit $1,725.95
M-2010-CAGEMGTA 2010 Mustang 8.50, 10-pt Cromoly Rollcage Kit $1765.00

IMPORTANT! All Mustang Competition Kits are pick-up only, F.O.B. Michigan. End-users are responsible for their own pick-up or shipping arrangements. Orders for Competition Seat, Interior, and Exterior Kits will only be filled with the purchase of the Body-in White kit, M-607100-M. Competition license required for purchase.

How to Order:
For orders please contact your Ford Racing Distributor.

Orders must be placed with the Ford Racing Warehouse, by an authorized Ford Racing Distributor, no later than November 15th, 2009, in order to ensure allocation.

Fulfillment:
Kits will be available for pick-up 1st Quarter 2010.

Coyote is on my shopping list for sure.

Reliable 750 hp with economy as a daily drive is easily achievable for around 15k.

65 Mustang convertible is on my one day wish list which will then get the coyote engine RHD conversion, decent suspension and brakes.

Good T (6 cyl) code convertibles can be picked up for around 12 -15k

When I was 16 I went to the drags and saw a guy called Wild Bill Shewsbury (Google him) and he had a wheelstanding Dodge Dart. Always wanted to do that! I've only had to wait a little over 40 years to really contemplate it!!!

I was at the drags that night in Sydney back in 1971 as well

Rod a classic formula 1 replica like this brabham will be my next 1UZ project.....

brab26.jpg

Here is a little something which one of the locals up here built.
He was a bit apprehensive about getting a home built chassis past the authorities so he imported one from England. Mechanicals are Citroen 2CV . It is registered as a motorbike
so cheaper rego and insurance. Wears a crash hat when he drives/rides around. The front cowl is hand beaten brass good finish as you can see. He changed the carburettors and as you can see from the blackened tail light pods it runs a bit rich.
GOLIATH4.jpg
GOLIATH3.jpg
GOLIATH2.jpg
GOLIATH1.jpg

Not sure an open wheeler will pass ADR's?

I've been corresponding with John Cribb & Justen over the last couple of weeks and the state of play is I'd like to build an Australian equivalent of the Little Red Waggon and register it.

The rules won't allow me to import a Dodge and modify it as I want.

This may sound a bit whacky but here goes.

Use a 1981 Misubishi L300 van. Weighs 1,255kg, so over the magic 1,100kg capacity number, it has a separate chassis which means I can run 6.8litres NA or 5.8litresFI. That's 418 & 359cu inch!

Chop the van into a pickup, which is pretty straight forward. As the van has a chassis the engineering is easier. This also gets rid of a little weight.

Fit a modern (2008 or later) V8 of 350-450hp (out of the factory) hooked up to a TH425 front wheel drive transmission. This transmission was used in 1970's Cadillac's and GMC motorhomes and is a TH400 that sits beside the engine and will handle as much power as you can throw at it.

Then fit the engine in the tray of the pickup about 300mm in front of the diff housing.

The transmission has an integrated, but removable, differential that can be divorced by using a short tail shaft to a normal diff out back. This would give a 600mm long tailshaft, which is heaps, with an almost dead centre engine position. This would give me very close to 50:50 weight distribution, depending hwere I place the fuel tank, radiator and battery.

An alternative to the TH425 would be to use whatever auto came with the engine, helps emissions and economy, and run the drive past the rear axle to a transfer case then turn it 180degrees with a short drive shaft to a flipped diff. This could be cool as it would allow you to use a tall diff to give good economy (and emissions) but drop to low range if you wanted to do burnouts or perhaps take the load off the front tyres.

The L300 front suspension is used in lots of Hot Rods so there are all sorts of brake upgrades for it. The standard bolt pattern is Toytoa/Ford and a few others.

The rear end is whatever you want to throw at it.

The rear end would probably be live as I can't find an IRS with suficient strength that's narrow enough to go under the vehicle. I can narrow a live axle much easier than any IRS arrangement.

Due to moving the engine back the vehicle would be an Individually Constructed Vehicle which has to pass the 2012 ADR's. This means it must pass a torsional and beaming test plus the IM 240 Emissions test. Strangely enough it doesn't need airbags, ABS, Stability or even crush zones. I don't understand why not but that's what I'm told by my Engineer.

The emissions is the reason for using a late model engine exactly as factory intended (for the test) to ensure a pass. Crate engines aren't all that badly priced. I could have two 450hp LS3 6.2 engines for less than my 1UZ cost me.

I know Toytoa don't make an engine I could use and have the power I'm after so it would mean crossing to the dark side and using Yankee Iron or Alloy.

I would do all the body and suspension work first to ensure the engine situation became a bit clearer as I'm still trying to convince my Engineer the engine can be moved back as it is behind the front axleline in the standard van. This could avoid ICV and open up engine choices to any engine built after 1981.

I'm open to flames, suggestion, ridicule and laughter.

It's just something I've always wanted and I guess if I don't do it I'll be laying there on my deathbed (someday) going "you dopey old fart you never built the truck".

I guess similar to this thread / build ?? Looks like he's using Subaru transmission ??
http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13564&page=3

Funny I have often thought of fitting a Camry V6 whole front assembly in the back of a Corona mid mount style.. Welding / fabricating in the whole sub frame...
Obviously the steering will be removed...
Not sure about road registered though ??
V8 MR2 ?? Na that's been done...