High CFM Electric Fan

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
I am looking for ONE 14" high CFM electric fan. I have seen as high as 2,500 cfm. Any recommendation? I have dual pushers already but not working too good. Need a high performance puller.

David, first, don't believe any of the CFM ratings from the Summit website. No idea where those ratings came from, but they're not reality.

Take a look at the SPAL line. Very high quality and rugged, but draw lots of amps.

Another option is to adapt the Lincoln MKVIII fan. Many DIY's have used this powerful fan with good success to cool their overheating applications.

The key with any fan setups is to make sure you have a good shroud, so the fan is pulling air through the whole core of the radiator, not just through its "footprint" if that makes sense.

David, I've been told many times I'm full of it, but I don't think it's wisdom!

The MKVIII single fan is apparently a very good solution if you know a fabricator who can do a proper shroud for you. I have one of these at home and measured the fan once before but I've slept since then and can't remember its diameter. Think it's around 17"? But twin 14" SPAL's ought to work for you if they're in a good shroud. I wouldn't mess with the cheapie $79 stuff from Jegs or Summit for your application.

I've actually been scheming to try to build a sandwich type, integrated radiator/intercooler that would have at least two, and perhaps three sections, plus a purpose built shroud and fan setup. The front section would be the intercooler for turbo applications, then the middle section would be 3/4 A/C condenser and 1/4 oil cooler and the rear section would be radiator, then finally the shroud and a couple of honking big fans. Probably a pair of 14" high performance SPAL's running at higher voltage than usual to get higher speed.

The whole thing would bolt together and be gasketed to assure no air leakage, however I'd probably incorporate some flapper seals around the edges of the shroud that would stay closed when the fans were in operation, but would "flap" open when the fans aren't needed. This would keep the fans & shroud from blocking air flow at high speeds.

Although it would bolt together with long through bolts, it could be easily broken down for maintenance. I've approached a couple of high performance radiator suppliers with the idea, but they say they don't make the types of cores required, there's no electric fans available that could pull through that thick a core, etc., etc.. As usual, I can't find anyone stateside that's willing to try to think out of the box, and I'm being my usual pigheaded self about it, and still think it's worth pursuing.

This would be the mother of all cooling setups if it worked.

Last edited:
just remember the more cfm the louder they are
i had a spal 16in on my hilux 1uz and it was louder than the 2.5in open exhaust when idling

You're right Sideshow, I have a 16" SPAL in my Supra, and it's very noisy, but it does move the air. Mine is supposed to be the high performance version with the standard straight blades, but I understand the curved blades are supposed to be quieter?

I think in David's application, the fan shroud shouldn't be used because he installs the fans as the pushers, but not the pullers. The fan shroud will block the incoming air.

I'm using those 14" diameter with 2.5" thick skinny fans with high CFM rating but I think it's false rating. The truth about fans that I learned while struggling on my SC is the skinny fans can't really do the job. The thicker fans (even with low CFM) with the shroud (John is perfectly correct in this) will do the job. Also, the higher amperage of the fan means it's a more powerful fan. I'd think the only electric fans that have at least 3" thickness is the starting point. Spal has a good reputation. I was told Flex-a-lite is also good.

One small detail that really increased a fan's effeciency is the fan shroud. Lots of people like slapping the fan on with zip ties and call it a day. if you can fit a slightly tapered shroud you will funnel all the available air through the fan, pulling more air through the core.

My daily LS400 operates about 15-20degrees hotter than my procharged 1uz, this is w/o using the shroud.

You are full of wisdom. It is rated at 4,500 cfm. HUGE if that is correct

Thats a LOT of air flow..... great find guys.

Agreed, no shroud if David continues with "pushers". If he can change to a puller, a shroud is ideal.

I will watch closely on my AAP Twin Zirgo Fan/Shroud set up which is in Florida (very Hot much of the year), and see if I need a second pusher to suppplement my puller. I am using the following fan and aluminum shroud. I tested it and it moves some major air. It is also surprisingly quiet for moving that much air. It is rated at 3,350 CFM. This shroud covers the entire radiator core.

fankit-lg.jpg

Ryan

Last edited:
sure does, i don't know how much it moves, but I had one on my MKIII 2j supra. However why not go clutch fan? I know we can use the ls400 bracket and clutched mated to the 7mge fan. It's a lot smaller than the stock ls4 fan, but still moves a lot of air.

Update for whom ever is interested.

7 years later my flex-a-lite dual fans are still working vantastic on my SC400 Lexus equiped with the stock sized radiator. Never had one problem, just with the heat sensor..Fans work and cool great.

Attachments

• HPIM0449.JPG
    HPIM0449.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 58
Those skinny e-fans should work great in an N/A or supercharged engine. But they aren't enough in a turbocharged engine. Putting a turbo in front of the engine is like putting a super hot oven in it. I've been having heating issues with a combination of 3 fans of two 14" pullers and one 14" pusher until I put on the vented hood and that's when the heating issue is gone.

Steve, have you tried a 4 core Koyo rad for the Supra yet? Those are supposed to support massive boost/heat.

as for my procharger, I can WOT several times and still grab the compressor housing with bare hands w/o burning. i'd trade some of that for your quicker spool tho ;)

Last edited:
Steve, have you tried a 4 core Koyo rad for the Supra yet? Those are supposed to support massive boost/heat.

as for my procharger, I can WOT several times and still grab the compressor housing with bare hands w/o burning. i'd trade some of that for your quicker spool tho ;)
I don't have room for a radiator that's thicker than OEM size. Therefore, I went with an aftermarket aluminum core radiator that's the same size as the OEM. It helps dissipating the heat quicker than the OEM, but the heat is still there because the skinny fans just can't blow the heat out of the engine bay. And the other main heating factor is because the turbo system takes up too much room and restricts the air movement. Actually, the best fan is still the stock hydraulic or clutch fan.

You can grab the turbo compressor housing with a welding glove even if you don't boost. :D

Last edited:
Got the fan a week ago and open yesterday with Steve. It wont work for my application. For sale if anyone need it.

David, is that the MKVIII fan that you bought? Sorry to hear it won't fit/work. What was the problem?

Are you still trying to do a pusher setup?

I have about 3.5" between IC and Radiator. The fan require about 5.5" of space. Got it from this seller on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0506032485&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Discription:
Lincoln Mark VIII 2 speed electric cooling fan. This fan has been cleaned and tested on both speeds. It functions quiet and smooth, and moves tons of air! There are no cracks or flaws in the housing. 18" fan blade diameter. See pics for measurements. This fan has not been altered. The pictures with the tape measure have had the tabs removed. I can alter the fan as seen in the above pictures for a cleaner install and less space. I carefully cut them with a table saw and then hand file the edges. The overal thickness at the thickest point (back of motor assembly) is 6 1/4". However, almost 3/4 inch can be trimmed out. This fan has been tested in magazines to produce up to 4500 cfm of air on high!

This is a great upgrade for 5.0 mustangs running a factory mechanical fan or even an "aftermarket" fan that doesn't produce. They fit amazing and look factory. Super clean and nice. These also are very common on rockcrawlers and mud trucks, full size Broncos, older Camaros, other foxbody platforms, many full size trucks, dakota's, you name it! Anywhere you have the room and need some great cooling! I run a very similar fan on my nitrous 450 hp mustang and even on low speed, it never gets warm! Perfect for your stroker motor, 351w, 347, 5.0, nitrous, turbo or blower application. (Sometimes blower pulley will interfere with this fan). Be sure to measure your application for fitment. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have. I also sell the necessary 70 amp relays (rare) with hard to find electrical connectors. I ship flat rate UPS lower 48 states (US) only. Accept paypal. Guaranteed not to be DOA. Picture is a stock photo, but your fan looks exactly the same. Very clean and in good shape. Thanks and have a good day! Fan is sold as is, no returns.

Do you have any room between the radiator and the engine for a puller setup? That's the best solution if you have the space.

I have one of those AAP setups like Ryan's that I bought on a whim last year and never used. New, still in the box and I paid $400 for it from HPF. I don't have any dimensions for it, however, and I'm sure it's intended to be only a puller setup.