Help me make my 800hp beast...

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

basslover911

Hi, I will be building an 800hp supercharged SC400 V8 Auto.

I will be using a Paxton Novi 2000 supercharger: very good supercharger.

I have already bough an engine rebuild kit (since it has 180k miles) and high strenght pistons, rods, crank bolts, and head studs. So I am good in the internals of the engine.

NOW, HERE IS WHERE ALL OF YALL COME IN...

- I am new to this engine so I do not know how much psi is needed to achieve 800hp?

- What injector size would I need in order to get the required fuel?
... Keep in mind that I will be using water injection and a huge intercooler so in theory the fuel only has to reach about 600hp and the water injection and intercooler would bring that figure up considerably.
- Any other fuel related components? (255 walbro pump already on the way).

- How much can the stock tranny hold? Ive read of about 400hp but do not know. What will I have to do to build up the transmission? (never worked with an automatic).

- And what about the electronic department? Can I use a vafc or some other air/fuel piggy pack component or will the stock ecu do something weird?

Any other questions or comments will be greatly appreciated and I will try to answer as soon as possible.

Thanks!
Esteban Soto
TR Automotive Works

basslover911 said:
I will be using a Paxton Novi 2000 supercharger: very good supercharger.
Great charger to start off. Eventhough this awesome charger is rated at 27 psi, with stock pulley you will not get 27 psi. You would need aftermarket crank pulley for that.

basslover911 said:
I have already bough an engine rebuild kit (since it has 180k miles) and high strenght pistons, rods, crank bolts, and head studs. So I am good in the internals of the engine.
Those parts are good enough for 800 hp.

basslover911 said:
I am new to this engine so I do not know how much psi is needed to achieve 800hp?
Its all depending on your tuning. My car is not tuned yet. However, I am boosting from 14.7 psi to 18 psi daily and at 18 psi i am currently making little over 400 rwhp. That is very bad in my humble opinion. Once again, its all about tuning.

basslover911 said:
What injector size would I need in order to get the required fuel?
I dont have a fuel calculator with me but you can do a search or someone can help you with this. I would say somewhere from 550 to 600 cc/min should be ok.

basslover911 said:
Any other fuel related components? (255 walbro pump already on the way).
Fuel pump is a must along with a fuel pressure regulator and fuel pressure gauge will help.

basslover911 said:
How much can the stock tranny hold? Ive read of about 400hp but do not know. What will I have to do to build up the transmission? (never worked with an automatic).
About 450-500 rwhp should be ok. However, I broke two trannies when making less then 400 rwhp. Transmission cooler is a must in my opinion.

basslover911 said:
And what about the electronic department? Can I use a vafc or some other air/fuel piggy pack component or will the stock ecu do something weird?
For your application, I would think a Very good piggback or a stand alone is a must. I have heard great things about the SMT7 or if money is available, an Autronic standalone would be the ECU of choice.

Tranny can be beefed up to 400-450 rwhp,that from MV Automatics here in Australia..
The rest of the buildup you seem to have it,as Lextreme said,tuning ..tuning..tuning is the key..
Edit,400-450 rwkw...yes thats MV automatics figures..

anti-friction, oil, and heat coatings would help a bit with the heat transfer and reflection in the cylinders and to keepthe intake and exhaust charge seperate.

So, what can be done to the tranny to make it hold more power? A toque converter?

Or should I just go for the supra manual transmission swap? All I need is an adaptor plate and the clutch/brake/pedal set from the sc300 right?

you need more research........and alot of money. You'll probably go stand alone for that power and i haven't heard of an sc400 on a stand alone yet, and for the transmission i would go with an r154, that will be the cheapest and strong, and go to dellow automotive which make a 1uz to r154 adapter.

I was deeply looking into converting it into a 5 speed transmission since I think it would be a lot cheaper.

Does anyone know how much those adaptor plates cost? (from Dellow's or Rush imports or any other?)

What is the most powerful car you have owned?

800hp, rear wheel or even crankshaft is HUGE power. The engine can be built to this level but the transmission cannot. The big power Supras run the 6 speed. Other options would be built HD automatics like the GM Turbo 400.

The R154 conversion can be done for $1500 Aus + gearbox(R154) These box are strong and can be find for $400 usd in the US..so around $2000 usd and you would have it..
The "Supra" 6 speed (Aka getrag V 160) cost a lot more,like $2500-3000 usd + adapters say another $600-700 usd..

at what power level do you all think the R154 is no longer usefull and the V160 a must? cost not a factor in this question.

From what I have read the 6 speed is actually weaker (dont quote me on that) and I would beleive that would be the case since most 5 speed trannys are always stronger that all the 6 speed trannys. (simply because the gears can be much thicker since you only have 5 speeds and not 6.

Again, dont quote me on that but that MAY be the case here...??

Basslover, I don't know where or what you've been reading, but the Supra's V160 6spd Getrag is far stronger than the 5spds (the R154 or the W boxes). Toyota had very good reasons for offering only the 6spd, and not a 5spd with the twin turbo Supra. The R & W boxes give up somewhere between 350 and 450 HP, while the V160 happily handles 800-1000 HP Supras.

What you're saying about 6spds in general, does apply to Porsche boxes. The G64 & G96 6spds are not as strong as the G50 5spd, and none of these are as strong as the 930 4spd box.

John

Actually, the 1997 Supra Anniversay Edition Twin turbo has 6 speed tranny. That is the only year Toyota offers a 6 speed tranny. And 6 speed is stronger than 5 speed.

I think The R 154 goes way past 450 HP They are rated @450 lb/ft. of torque...most are good for 600 HP,some are known to be behind 800 hp Supra's..

Steve, the twin turbo Supra was offered with the 6spd every year from 1993 to 1998 except 1997. The 15th anniversary (1997) is the only year the twin turbo model was offered only with an A/T.

The twin turbo model has never been sold with a 5spd.

The NA version of the Supra (the GE motor) comes with either 5spd or A/T, but not the 6spd.

Bango, please give me some references to an 800 HP MKIII Supra with an R154. Not saying they don't exist, but I've owned Supras continuously since 1987 and am not aware of any putting out this amount of power with that tranny. Matter of fact, I'm not aware of any MKIII motors (the 7M-GTE) making that kind of power.

i believe in the USA, the 96 supa turbo only came in auto due to not passing cali emmisions with the 6 speed. but all other years the auto and 6 speed where aviable on the turbo model. and auto and 5 speed for the na.

so there was one year with no 6 speed. for us market, i believe no other markets where effected by this.

well looks like ill be looking for a V160 becouse i want more then 450ft/lbs or 450hp for my project. thanks for the info sorry for the hijack

WDoherty said:
you need more research........and alot of money. You'll probably go stand alone for that power and i haven't heard of an sc400 on a stand alone yet, and for the transmission i would go with an r154, that will be the cheapest and strong, and go to dellow automotive which make a 1uz to r154 adapter.
Standalone 110%. I wouldnt bother wasting time with anything else on a high power setup. And im pretty sure there are plenty of sc400's with standalone's.

I can vouch for one.

Riste.

cribbj said:
Steve, the twin turbo Supra was offered with the 6spd every year from 1993 to 1998 except 1997. The 15th anniversary (1997) is the only year the twin turbo model was offered only with an A/T.

The twin turbo model has never been sold with a 5spd.

The NA version of the Supra (the GE motor) comes with either 5spd or A/T, but not the 6spd....
You and this article confused me. I haven't really dug deep into the Supra info. (can't afford one...hehe.., but only get interested). Here's the article on msn.com auto that says about the Supra tranny: http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/overview.aspx?year=1997&make=Toyota&model=Supra.