fabricating for supercharger

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
A few of us are getting interested in purchasing supercharger manifolds, but probably for different SC's.

Would it be too simplistic to hope that a single manifold could be fabricated, with a gasketed, removable billet top plate that could be machined to match whatever supercharger the owner chooses? This is assuming everyone would use a rear entry, bottom discharge SC?

Some may want to flip the 'charger, and discharge out the top, (ie TRD for the 2UZ), in which case this configuration wouldn't work, but maybe one of the Real Smart Guys here with access to CAD & CNC could be enticed to design/build both types?

Emailed Jordy awhile back but haven't gotten a response.

John

I think you need to understand the dynamics of compressed air.

It doesn't matter that the air enters the plenum off centre(either front/rear or side/side) as the supercharger itself doesn't discharge dead in the centre.

Within reason all ports on the manifolds shown will flow equally. I know my Ford Lightning supercharger dumps the air in the front of the manifold and it somehow mysteriously finds it's way to the back of the manifold to feed cylinders 7 & 8. If Ford do it like this I don't see a problem with Joel doing it.

Joel's manifolds come with a flat plate that you mill for your particular application. This allows you to run whatever will work as a bottom discharge unit. There's no benefit in running the blower upside down unless you're hanging an intercooler off it like a Jaguar.

Actually Rod, I'm pretty OK with compressed air, the fundamentals of fluid mechanics, and the sonic and subsonic flow of gasses through fixed orifices like our manifold runners and ports. As another member said, I know more than some, and certainly a lot less than others about the subject. Sorry if I came across as an uninformed idiot; I'm still a n00b here.

As regards Joel and his manifolds; I certainly wasn't trying to slam him or his work. I'm in the market for a manifold, as it seems a few others are, but he hasn't returned my email, and he's already stated on this forum that he's not interested in selling to the States, hence I'm looking for other options.

As far as positioning the charger on the manifold, I fully agree that a bottom discharge has to be the cleanest, most practical way to do it. I was only pointing out that some people may wish to do it the TRD or TTI way for reasons of their own. Maybe they'd want to use all that additional area on the runners or the top for secondary injectors, methanol injection, an integral intercooler, etc.

Cheers,

John

Well I'm doing something a bit different.... 4-71 roots blower which is custom made to be an extra 2 inches longer so in fact a 5-71. I will be going with a "Forced Aid Technologies" manifold. Here are some mock up pics.

Nath,

What sort of compression are you planning on running.

You look like you'll need intercooling of some description.

That engine will have "Street cred" coming ourt of it's exhausts!

Cribbj,

Don't worry I'm not trying to give you a hard time it's just my nature!

I think you may have Joel (Jordy) mixed up with Neil. I understand Neil can't sell his system into the States because Terra Chargers cannot be sold in the States under a licencing agreement with Eaton. (I think that right?)

Joel can sell to whomever he want as he's an engineer who makes the manifolds because he enjoys it.

Compressed air and fluid dynamics certainly flow in interesting ways, just look at the impact of a bellmouth on a pipe!

My engine is still in the planning stages. I have pain Lex for some 8.5:1 forged piston and I will be using race fuel most likely. I thought it would be more benifitial to run a lower compression to enable me to boost higher.

Please tell me where I'm wrong. I value all your opinions.
NAth

The blower will be teflon lined 3 vane Roots style blower and will easily put out up to 25psi. I've been told. The case will be aluminium but they also make magnesium cases. I'm going for Aluminum as I want to have the reliability and the weight will not be so much an issue as my car will be super lite weight tube chassis drag car.

As I'm not an engineer nor a mechanic I will be easing into a hi boost engine. I plan to build it however to handle the high boost so I don't blow anything and kill expensive parts. I guess it's the old saying, build it right the first time.

The manifold I am purchasing is cheaper as it will not have the standard injector bungs drilled but be left blank and will not have a top plate. I'll be getting a custom one built.

As this engine is to be a drag engine only I have been thinking about Dry ice intercooling. It's pretty tough finding an under the blower 4-71 intercooler. Would probably have to adapt a 6-71 intercooler. That would be cool though as it would be larger. I know Blower Drive Services make roots style intercoolers but I have no other sources. Maybe the Boat guys can point me in a direction?

Anyway the manifold cost me $930.00 AUS delivered. I will post pics once it is received. I think the price is good. I have a big base to build a plenum box to mount the blower on... or get an intercooler.

Has anyone got thoughts on water ingection. I've read stuff about it and it all sounds good but a little complicated and ugly. I want a totally stripped show looking drag engine.
NAth

Zuffen said:
Don't worry I'm not trying to give you a hard time it's just my nature!

I think you may have Joel (Jordy) mixed up with Neil. I understand Neil can't sell his system into the States because Terra Chargers cannot be sold in the States under a licencing agreement with Eaton. (I think that right?)

Joel can sell to whomever he want as he's an engineer who makes the manifolds because he enjoys it.

Compressed air and fluid dynamics certainly flow in interesting ways, just look at the impact of a bellmouth on a pipe!
Rod, not to worry, it's all good.

Nope, I know that Jordy & Neil are two different people; I corresponded with Neil a good bit, but he's not keen to sell to the US either. Jordy (Joel) hasn't emailed back, nor has he posted here in a while. Perhaps he's just taken an extended holiday.

I gotta say you guys in Oz are certainly doing some cool stuff. You have 4-6 different aftermarket ECU's that are fabbed right there at home, and you're doing some really innovative things with intake/exhaust manifolds for this motor. I wonder where all our American ingenuity and hotrodding spirit has gone? I'd hate to think that it's retired or dead & gone along with the guys that put us on the moon 35 years ago....

John

looks great nath
mines very simular were using a 6-71 efi bug catcher and custom sheet alloy manifold bosch injectors below the supercharger with hidden bov, cant see the need for intercooling at this stage looking at about 10-14 lbs boost at 6000 rpm
it will be fully street running premium unleaded and an autronic sm2 computer pictures soon

QCA,
I would love to know more about your EFI bug catcher... the pics I have posted here are a mock up and not exactly what I will be doing.

I've been looking a 4 barrel throttle bodies then getting a bug scoop from the one here:
http://www.alsblowers.com in NZ

these scoops hide a 4 barrel carby / throttle body insid the scoop and make it look like you've got Mechanical injection kind of.

Pretty cool but I think they are expensive.

I'd love to see your pics of the EFI
NAth

bds make them, we have been trying to source them elsewhere and haven't had any luck thus far. i didn't think thet were too bad , about $800 US # $1300 a AUD
probably buy it all from bds including the drive pulleys . belt & end plates snout etc
we will post pictures asap but are moving into a larger workshop and need to finish a couple of conversions before i even look at just what i need too complete this engine, probably 2uz crank offset ground to suit chev rods and custom 8.0 to 1 forged pistons a set of stepped pipes and our semi dry sump (oil scavenged from engine de-airated then fed back into the standard pump and oiling system)

Nath,

Could you post up some more photos of your setup?

I'm interested in how you did the extra pulley up near the water outlet.

I'm working on my belt run at the moment and I'll cheat and use anyones good ideas!

Sorry mate, those photos are a mock up at the blower shop. I have yet to receive my blower. As I am not running any auxilaries... alternator, power steering etc. I plan to use the stud mounts for these on an engine plate where I will mill out a slot I can mount the idler pully to ... O r I will use a arm mounted off the blower.

Nath,

Thanks.

I'm looking at an arm pivoted off the top idler mount. I can use an adjusting rod back to one of the alternator mounts.

Hi all,
Well a lot of thought has gone into my blower setup and I was going to use the above 4:71 blower but as the guy building it seems totally dis-interested in my business so I have seeked alternatives. I think I will use a 6:71 blower from a supercharger Bloke who is only 3 suburbs away rather than 100km's in Melbourne. His advice was that the 6:71 would be up to the job and would be easier to service. It's also lots cheaper than the custom 4:71.

I am not sure on the mounting footprint of a 6:71. Has anyone got a footprint dimension?

I'll no doubt need to modify my intake but that is ok.

Any pics of a 6;71 setup would be nice too. I should be buying the blower in a month or so. I will keep you posted.
Nath