External fuel pump ideas?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Fire Kid

soo I just got my 1uz in today and im making my list and i was curious.

Im going to run a Megasquirt system and I'm wondering if anyone has used an external fuel pump before? if not does anyone have info on ratings on the stock or equilvent fuel pump?

It's going into a 91 pickup. I'm pulling out the stock tank and putting in a 32gallon fuel cell. If I understand the stock one runs at two different pressures. Now if I put a different fuel pressure regulator in will that help any?

I prefer to fit the fuel pumps into the tank when doing conversions. Keeps the pump in a location where it can't get damaged and keeps it quiet. No need to worry about dual voltage. If doing an external make sure it has a head of fuel above it as they arent designed to suck. Cheers

Yeah that would be the best way to do it. Unfortunetly with how the fuel cell is built that's not possible. Does anyone have specs for pressure and fuel rate? I'm about to order a pump and want to make sure it'll work

thanks

A pump which delivers 200 litres an hour.. If modified alittle a higher pump can be fitted.. But line size should be increased too.. Especially return / fuel reg...
So your saying a pump cannot be fitted in tank??
Then fit an in line pump up under chassis rails with some protection..
The Bosch 044 would be spot on for your needs ...
But as said there must be a fall from tank to pump as they don't self prime...
You need two filters one before pump and after...
Under 35Lb to 45Lb fuel pressure the pump should supply 3litres a minute...

My turbo Ford has Walbro 255 intank and twoBosch 044's from surge tank with two -8 lines / -6 return
That is for 700+h.p engine...

Last edited:
this is the fuel cell i have lined up for it.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/JZP-270-032-NF/

the truck is being set up for a baja prerunner truck. ill setup the fuel system like we have on our race truck. the pump will be located near the cell. with two fuel filters. i plan to run -8 lines for feed and return. its hard to describe how its going to be set up until its done. thanks for the info on the pump ill most likely order two of them and run them next to each other that way if one dies ill just swap it over to the other

With a Baja car I'd want the punp up quite high to give all the protection it can get.

You need a swirl/surge/supplementary tank (the same thing but different names) to supply the EFI pump.

You need to run a line from the fuel cell to a "lift" pump, this can be a carby electric pump (Carter make a nice one and so does Holley) which pumps the fuel to a holding tank of less than a gallon, it can be bigger if you wish. This tank can be mounted in the tray out of harms way above the fuel cell.

The fuel is then pumped from the bottom of that tank with the EFI pump to the engine. This ensures the EFI pumnp always has fuel above it.

The fuel return from the engine goes to the supplementary tank.

You need an overflow from the supplementary tank to the fuel cell.

Google swirl pot (or simillar and you'll find good diagramatics of the above.

Just remember the fuel into the supp tank goes in high, the engine return goes in high and the overflow comes out even higher.

The fuel to the engine comes out the very bottom.

Thats a really good idea. I have an issue though, adding all of that takes up space and it would make weak links in the truck. I'm guessing your suggesting it to keep from starvation? i think with a high volume pump should keep the engine happy. as for safety the cell will be mounted right behind the cab. the pump will be protected properly.if it was a rally car where i had enclosed space to mount the pump i would go with a surge tank for sure unfortunately space is limited on my truck.

heres a picture of my race truck. give you an idea of what im working towards
ba7065c9.jpg

and the rough design of my rear cage
6ce59198.jpg

I run a bosch 044 fuel pump for my 1UZFE using standard pressure regulators which are already on the fuel rail. Also use Sideshows tacho relay which primes the fuel lines on ignition for 2 secs. It then runs the pump continuously above 200rpm. Never had fuel surge or stavation and run the boat continuously at 3/4 to WOT. The pump is located well above the fuel tank and also the fuel filter/water separator. Its even above the intake manifold! The 044 pump is a bit noisy though and bit pricey. Picked mine up on ebay new for $200 delivered.
Um you could also try a Bosch 070 ext fuel pump for the VL turbo if you want to save a bit of money. not as much flow as the 044.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/EFI-Fuel-Pum...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item415677bd26

stock fuel pump in fuel cell

I am currently building a prerunner with an 89 toyota pickup with an 05 4.7 liter tundra motor. I have made a fill plate that receives the stock fuel pump. I have done a lot of prerunning in mexico and I believe that it would be easier to find a pump down there for a tundra than any aftermarket pumps. I could always just carry a spare with me too.IMG_0885.jpg

IMG_0886.jpgplus it was a lot cheaper, just a little time consuming. I still need to do testing also. I will be testing in about a month. I hope it doesn't give me too much trouble...

There's many ways fuel supply can be done...
On forced induction I like to use a surge tank with something like Walbro or Bosch 040 in tank..
Then to surge tank with one or two 044's depending on power level..
My 1uz powered Celica I'm going twin Aeromotive pumps..
I find most std ECU's prime fuel for about 5 seconds ...
Relays on each fuel pump as power supply is critical to pumps ...
Why not buy U.S ?? Keep the economy going...
http://www.weldonracing.com/products/Products%3A+Fuel+Pumps.html
Or..
http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-page/fuel-pumps/