What fuel pumps to use, and in-line or external?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

SC400TT

Well gents, I am nearing completion of my project and I am reviewing my original design for my fuel system, and I am now researching quite a bit. I was going with dual Walbro 255's in-tank, 2 -6 lines run up to the rails, and a 90 degree from the passenger side to a T on the driver side, into the Aeromotive FPR, and into the stock factory return.

I am hearing the Walbro's are "hit and miss" for reliability, and tend to run quite hot when they are pressed hard. I know they are a bit loud, and I want to eliminate the noise as well.

The Denso's are supposed to be much more reliable, and I have heard some say they are quiet, some say they are not. I also understand they are larger in diameter, and it may be more of a chalenge to fit dual Denso's into the stock Lexus fuel tank due to the limited space availability from the baffle. The Denso's apparently require much more current, and that seems to be an issue as well.

I am thinking to go external on the pump, with perhaps a single Aeromotive, that can handle the power I want, and I believe may not be able to be heard inside the cabin.

Many thoughts to consider here. John Cribb, you are well respected about this subject over on SupraForums. What say you? Anybody else? Jake? David?

Thanks,

Ryan

Here's my setup Ryan.

Stockish pump in tank as a lift pump, feeds 3 litre surge tank. x2 -10 lines to x2 Bosch 910n external pumps (not that loud if mounted right). Lines from pump T into a single -10 line to fuel rail. -8 crossover from and rear of rails to balance fuel flow. Return line (SARD reg) from stock dampner position (-6 from memory).

Thus far good enough for 400rwkw with no hint of dropping off.....should be good for an easy 1000hp flywheel. A little bit overkill but parts were cheap and gives me plenty of headroom for future mods. Been going strong for over 4yrs now.

There are so many options here! I have exchanged email with John Cribb quite a bit and he has convinced me to go with the Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump on a TT Denso, I have them ordered so we shall see. I think my power goals are lower than yours so my system may not fit your build.

I still have not came to grips with what I intend to do with my lines as of yet.

Attachments

• P1SC-Oil.jpg
    P1SC-Oil.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 718
every aeromotive pump i have heard was LOUD !
get a genuine walbro not a chinese take off
and get a genuine walbro sock to quieten it down

What sock are you talking about? I went to the Walbro site and looked at the different parts available. There were some black foam tubes...They sure did not look like they would stand up to fuel...I do have genuine Walbro pumps, not knock offs from ebay...

Here's my setup Ryan.

Stockish pump in tank as a lift pump, feeds 3 litre surge tank. x2 -10 lines to x2 Bosch 910n external pumps (not that loud if mounted right). Lines from pump T into a single -10 line to fuel rail. -8 crossover from and rear of rails to balance fuel flow. Return line (SARD reg) from stock dampner position (-6 from memory).

Thus far good enough for 400rwkw with no hint of dropping off.....should be good for an easy 1000hp flywheel. A little bit overkill but parts were cheap and gives me plenty of headroom for future mods. Been going strong for over 4yrs now.

Justen, I thought about the additional surge tank, but do not want to lose even more trunk space...my car is first a driver, then a racer...I have read that the Bosch pumps are excellent quality...:fingersx:

There are so many options here! I have exchanged email with John Cribb quite a bit and he has convinced me to go with the Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump on a TT Denso, I have them ordered so we shall see. I think my power goals are lower than yours so my system may not fit your build.

I still have not came to grips with what I intend to do with my lines as of yet.

Scott, yeah, I considered that. But after having already obliterated the budget on this project, and knowing I do have authentic Walbros, plus knowing the capabilities of my Autronic SM4 to protect my motor from lean conditions, I decided to stick with the dual Walbro set up...With some changes.

Here is the basic rundown of my fuel set up:
  • Stock fuel tank
  • *** Custom Walbro Duel Fuel Pump Hanger
  • 2 -6 feeds from main cap into 2 -6 lines fed between firewall and trunk, run through bottom of the trunk
  • The 2 -6 SS Braided lines run into a Y Block, that feeds a -10 SS Braided line.
  • The single -10 line feeds into the necessary couplings, and a -10 10 micron billet AN filter with washable stainless screen
  • This feeds into more AN fittings, then into a -10 100 micron billet AN filter
  • then a single -10 SS Braided line runs along the bottom of the car into the engine bay which feeds into another -10 AN into 2 -6 AN's which feed each fuel rail
  • The Aeromotive 1000 FPR is relocated from the driver side to the center of the engine, where each fuel rail feeds a 90 degree -6 AN into either side of the regulator
  • Then there is a 90 degree -6 AN that feeds the return. It is a dedicated -6 AN SS braided hose all the way back to the fuel tank.
  • The Walbros are high pressure 255's, and will be staged so that only one pump runs when daily driving, and the second pump gets switched on from it's own relay once the ECU detects either boost, or a certain amount of pressure. I have not decided which way for sure, but probably based upon boost.
Only sad thing is the cost of those SS braided lines, AN fittings and billet filters...over $800 :buttkick: :261: :yikes: The consolation is that I also ordered the lines and fittings for the oiling system too, so that is one reason for the exhorbitant costs...

I can't believe the costs of fittings and hoses...

Ryan

yip those black foam things as you describe them do a remarkable job of quietening a whinebro down - fitted a few to scoobies here in SA and it makes a difference and even with a fuel brew of toluene and xylene they stand up to it just fine