Dune Buggy with 1UZFE

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
More pictures on the Buggy. I wonder what transaxial avialable for this motor. Question now is will the engine facing forward or facing rear?

Lex,

Looking at the mounting points for the transaxle it had a VW unit in it. You can see the front plate with two hole in it plus the rear downtubles have a tread in them for the back (the flywheel end) of the trans to mount to.

The engine would have to go behind the trans as it would be major surgery to put it in front. You would need to stretch the wheelbase to do that and the torsion bar tube (the one the suspension pivots on) would be in the way.

If you use the 1UZ you may need to relocate the fuel tank and battery as far forward as possible as the engine would tend to make it wheeelstand all the time.

The whole unit looks good with its fiddle brakes and need tube construction. I note it uses all VW suspension and steering.

My guess the complete jigger would weigh under 1,000lb with the engine in it. 300hp and 1,000lb equates to 720hp per imperial ton. That is scary stuff. I want a drive!

I wonder where i can get the VW Transaxial to 1UZFE. I wanted to mount forward facing due to weight disturbution. Rear facing will have weight problem and wheel stand will not be a good thing. Mid mount is possible if i remove the rear seat and find a short transaxial.

I don't think you have enough room to fit the engine in front of the transaxle.

You need to look at a VW trans to see the way it is laid out.

The power goes trough the bellhousing, past the differential thern back to the differential after it has passed through the gear box section.

The trans is very compact and whilst it is not the best to change gears on it is tough. I doubt you would get a shorter trans than a VW that would hanble the power.

You could use a Porsche trans (G50 or similar) but would find it a lot more expensive.

Adapting the VW to the engine would ge easy but I would need to get some measurements off a VW box to know what would happen with the flywheel as from memory the bellhousing would be a smaller diametre thena the flywheel.

An adaptor would be easy to make.

If you look at the photos the torsion bar tube runs across the entire width of the car and is under a lot of stress. To cut it to allow an engine in there would mean changing from torsion bar suspension to coil springs on the trailing arms. It could be done but it won't be cheap and it certainly won't be as reliable as the VW stuff allready in there.

I don't think the weight ditribution would be too bad if you do a few things right.

You would want the radiator as far forward as possible but still behind the occupants. You don't want it in front in case it springs a leak and dumps boiling water on you.

I would use a gell battery way up front to help move the weight forward.

I would try to get the fuel tank close behind the driver. Maybe the radiator colud live above the fuel tank.

You would need a Soarer sump to get the bulg up against the bellhousing so it is a little more protected.

I contacted the ROD shop about the VW transaxial to 1UZ. They said they dont have that combo, however, they can make one.... i dont have the price on it yet.... What about ecu control.... would the factory ecu understand the new tranny? or can we delete the tranny control in the factory ecu?

From what I have seen no one has fooled the combined ECU/ECT on an LS or SC into running without the trans.

The only choices I see are aftermarket or a Crown ECU and loom. You could get away with just the ECT and the correct plugs to attach to your loom (cut off your old plugs and solder on the new ones) but a full engine loom is the way to go.

I'll try and price up an ECU and loom for you.

Also post a wanted add on www.lextreme.com (it's a great forum) for the parts.

Ya. About anyong turning a wrench on a VW's knows about Kennedy. They've been at it awhile. Nearly any search of old bug performance/engine swaps etc will turn them up on the first google page.

Adaptors for this conversion are available in Australia.

The biggest problem is keeping the VW transaxle together with the available torque.

from what ive read, even a built VW transaxle is a bad idea. FUNCO buggy builders have a chart for transaxles and CV joints that would be good to use.

If someone is doing a Toyota engine. E-153 out of an MR2, or modify the E-153 from the Camry plaform.
With a good clutch they're known to hold 500+ horsepower.
& the mr2 ones would have the mountings on the right side, along with optional / standard LSD's over the years.

Hey - newbie from Aus here.

I can help with info here, I race offroad and know of a few that have 1u's in them - matter of fact we're thinking of doing the same!

VW would never stand up - renault UN5 with mods to the output shaft would work with standard 1u - once you start developing fat tq though, aftermarket gears (Albins) are essential. $$$ anywhere from 2k to 7k.

After that you can go aftermarket option gearboxes, fortin etc or modified porsche - Start at about 15k. Afterthat - Albins box (droooool) start at 26k aus and approx 10k per year in maintanence.

Our old car (http://www.offroadracing.com.au/sorra/ouch___.htm) had VW with 20v 4age, new car (http://www.offroadracing.com.au/sorra/build_Wolf.htm) will be UN5 with the same motor... but we're prob going with 1u instead... snigger...

I have seen a 1uz-fe powered sandrail (dunebuggy) once before years ago and it absolutely ripped.. It sprayed sand 30feet high with it's rear cup tires on the floored sandy straights... I wanted to give it go on hill climb really bad...

I think the 1uz-fe would be a choice engine in a sandrail swap as it is an alluminum block, thin side dimensions, quad cam, etc.. Most saidrail owners swap in the 350ci Chevy iron blocks here in the States.. It's kinda rare to see a 1uz-fe powered sandrail in the States from what I have seen...

I like it....Infact, If you wonder the speed and power of this setup - Your basically looking at a 275hp motor when running on headers, and with stand alone ECU and tune on what a 1000 pound frame and tranny..(Wow, that will rip no dought)...

This is a turbo'd dune buggy 1uz-fe... This little bugger must really motor... Another sand rail pic..

what the??

looks like a boxxer engine to me matey. Subaru ej20 perhaps?? and the other one, perhaps a vh40/45de? not really sure, but i definitely cant see a uz anywhere

or do we need to co-ordinate a crack pipe when considering your posts jibby?

The buggy owner posted and said that is a 1uz-fe turbo'd engine but I too can't see it clearly, I pulled that left pic off club lexus too... The pic to the right in not a 1uz-fe but was built and fast...

These are just a few pic's I had stored in memory, so relax Ed... No need for me to hit the crack pipe just yet...:439:

Ed, whom ever said it has to be a UZ too have fun...Wicked hill climb video for your enjoyment...

http://www.truveo.com/Dune-Buggy-Portland-Sand-Dunes/id/1777390899

You may need to be on crack to try that insane hill climb??????? Anyone on this forum have the balls or vehicle to try that? With a full solid roll cage intact I do think I would give it a go , and it even looks like fun to me, what a rush.....:scared:

I know I wouldn't give it a try but it isn't as steep as you may think.

Perhaps 50-55degrees otherwise the vehicle would have rolled over when traversing the dune just before it makes it to the top.

Still brave man and a great effort.